Wedding Etiquette Forum

How long to wait for a TY note

H and I were invited to an October wedding last June (yes the invitation was received in June). We knew we couldn't attend. I RSVPd immediately and shortly sent a card and a gift card. We have yet to receive a thank you note. I am concerned that they may not have received it. My daughter thinks I should wait for a while since they may have been waiting until after the wedding to write thank you notes. I was just going to contact the groom's mother (my friend) and ask if they received the gift card. What would you do?

Re: How long to wait for a TY note

• H and I were invited to an October wedding last June (yes the invitation was received in June). We knew we couldn't attend. I RSVPd immediately and shortly sent a card and a gift card. We have yet to receive a thank you note. I am concerned that they may not have received it. My daughter thinks I should wait for a while since they may have been waiting until after the wedding to write thank you notes. I was just going to contact the groom's mother (my friend) and ask if they received the gift card. What would you do?

When is the wedding? If it's soon I would wait until after. You absolutely should have received a TY soon after the gift was sent, but at this point I would wait until after. With all the craziness right before, and potential travel after I'd give it until after. But if the wedding isn't for a few weeks I think it would be fine to contact your friend. 
  • H and I were invited to an October wedding last June (yes the invitation was received in June). We knew we couldn't attend. I RSVPd immediately and shortly sent a card and a gift card. We have yet to receive a thank you note. I am concerned that they may not have received it. My daughter thinks I should wait for a while since they may have been waiting until after the wedding to write thank you notes. I was just going to contact the groom's mother (my friend) and ask if they received the gift card. What would you do?

When is the wedding? If it's soon I would wait until after. You absolutely should have received a TY soon after the gift was sent, but at this point I would wait until after. With all the craziness right before, and potential travel after I'd give it until after. But if the wedding isn't for a few weeks I think it would be fine to contact your friend. 
    The wedding has already happened. I think I'll wait until next week and contact my friend. Thanks for the advice.
  • I would reach out and ask your friend. I'm still waiting for the baby gift we sent H's step sister back in June, or heck even verbal acknowledgement it was received. I kept telling him to ask his dad, more just being passive aggressive I know but still it irks me. 
  • I'm still waiting for a thank you card from a wedding I went to in 2006....I think the ship has sailed on that one! ;) (And they have since divorced)  

But I think there's no harm in reaching out, phrasing it like you want to make sure the gift arrived. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards