Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Minneapolis Alterations - Extensive

Calling all brides, wives, friends, family, and anybody else out there -- I need your help! Please!

A little back story... I went dress shopping earlier than expected after seeing a trunk show being advertised at my favorite salon -- up to 80% off? Um yes please! I ended up falling in love with a dress but it unfortunately was not part of the sale. Due to this I was going to wait to order it; that was until the consultant told me it would be 6 months until they got it in. I told her I was planning on losing a little weight before the wedding -- no really I am! -- but she insisted that so often they hear that and "it's so much harder to let out than take in..." and "the dress should fit you not you fit the dress" etc. So I ordered the dress in the size she recommended. 

The dress came in (way earlier than she told me it would) and I go in to try it on, and it won't stay up. 

Turns out: I'm down over two pants sizes and just shy of 50 lbs. I don't plan on losing any more weight and just trying to hold steady but now I'm in a pickle that my dress is 2 (probably more) sizes too big. 

This is my absolute dream gown. It has lace and buttons. It's romantic and elegant and everything I could ever want to wear on our wedding day. It's perfect. Except for the size. 

The reason I go into such detail is I'm looking for some advice from:

1.) brides who have gone through similar situations -- what did you do?! 

2.) Does anybody know ways to look up alterations who specialize in certain areas? 

3.) Minneapolis (or just MN overall as I have family all over the state) brides, any alterations you could recommend? 

It is so important to keep this dress due to my uncle's (we are very close) failing health, who cried and gave the stamp of approval when he saw the dress, and who likely won't make it to the wedding. I can't imagine getting married in anything else.

Time and price are not an issue. Any and all help is so greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!!! 

- MN bride to be :)

Re: Minneapolis Alterations - Extensive

• Options
    so, wait, it's to big?  that's not a problem.  Any seamstress should be able to take it in.  Mine was taken in a lot.

I too, told my consultant I would be thinner and more fit since I was hiring a personal trainer.  I lost nothing.  I'm glad she didn't take me seriously.   But Congrats on your 50 lb loss. That's amazing!

• Options
    two sizes should not be very difficult to take in, and shouldn't alter the shape and construction of a dress too much with a good seamstress. You could try posting in the local Minneapolis board for specific suggestions since this is the international board!
  • Options
    @Knottie1456709285 My only thought to start is that 50lbs. can be far more than just two sizes and depending on where/how it came off, without pictures it's hard to say "nip and tuck" vs. "Order the dress in the proper size for where you're now at!"....  Start with the alterations person at the salon you purchased the dress from.  Next, no matter where you take it, have it fully quoted because you may be money ahead to order that same dress in the proper size with minimal adjustments or go online and purchase it (there are a number of reputable sites online of brides selling their gowns - many for the same reason you're needing a different size)..  Typically we recommend posting an image of you in the dress with any identifiable features cropped out (i.e. faces) to give you the best recommendations.

The Minneapolis board is super slow (used to be INCREDIBLY active), so I'll post here.  I'd call Dolores at Spool House down in Hastings.  Go ahead and look her up online.  She may know someone closer to you geographically, but I've known her family for years and she does good work.  

Good luck!
  • Options
    When I bought my dress I was a size 14/16 in street clothes I bought a size 18 dress per my measurements.  As I waited for it to come in I got sick and lost a ton of weight in similar numbers to yours and now am a solid street size 10 so I'm guessing I lost about 2 dress sizes in the wedding dress measurements, but haven't actually measured. I'm in the process of getting my dress altered and they had no problem bringing it in. I just tried it on Tuesday and it looks great, you can't even tell it used to be to big! :)

I ended up taking my dress to the place the bridal shop recommended, after I checked outside reviews and personally am having a great experience.  Congrats on the weight loss and good luck! 
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!!! I appreciate your help so much! I am feeling much more hopeful hearing you all were able to have dresses taken in, after hearing the attendant I was really worried. 

Thanks for the suggestion I will have to check out Delores! That's pretty close to me too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards