Wedding Invitations & Paper

wedding invitations directing guests to use wedding website, small wedding

we are having 75 closest friends and family attending our wedding next September.
It's held at a garden venue with a whimsical nature theme.
With an "evening dinner" feel we will have a set menu instead of meal choices.

what are your opinions of sending a single page (nice paper) invite with a wedding website printed on bottom. 
I realize using a wedding website is a modern trend (in my opinion a great idea) that also saves on card stock/invitation budget. 

-Are most guests understanding this is a new trend and to utilize the webpage to rsvp, get directions to venue, and overall get the "feel" of the wedding?
-Or are most couples still sending rsvp cards/envelopes, meal choice cards, etc. in the wedding invitations.

what's appropriate to do? 

Re: wedding invitations directing guests to use wedding website, small wedding

• If you have a set menu, then you don't need meal cards regardless.

Using a wedding website for RSVPs is fine, but I would give more than one option if you are going to do that.

We sent a traditional invitation, with an response card. On the response is card where we listed our wedding website. Many of our guests view our website where we included information of hotel blocks, travel, maps (with our wedding, 2 airports were an option and with a lot of locations in between for hotel and travel), and things to do in the area. Most of our guests, even the "young" ones, returned the RSVP card.

The only thing your invitation should state is who (are the hosts), what (your wedding), where (location), and when (date and time). I think it would be fine to write your wedding website at the bottom of the invite.
  • Nothing wrong with including your wedding website, but I think you need to offer some sort of instructions rather than just plopping the web address there. Something like "For more information and to RSVP, visit www.______.com." Definitely make sure the vital information @SP29 mentioned is included on the actual printed invitation.

One more thought: while you aren't required to offer a bunch of different meal choices, do you have plans for finding out about and dealing with dietary restrictions?  It seems statistically pretty likely that with 75 guests you would have at least one vegetarian.  How about food allergies?  If I were you I would make sure I had a space in the RSVP form for guests to make you aware of these concerns.
  • SP29 said:
    If you have a set menu, then you don't need meal cards regardless.

Using a wedding website for RSVPs is fine, but I would give more than one option if you are going to do that.

We sent a traditional invitation, with an response card. On the response is card where we listed our wedding website. Many of our guests view our website where we included information of hotel blocks, travel, maps (with our wedding, 2 airports were an option and with a lot of locations in between for hotel and travel), and things to do in the area. Most of our guests, even the "young" ones, returned the RSVP card.

The only thing your invitation should state is who (are the hosts), what (your wedding), where (location), and when (date and time). I think it would be fine to write your wedding website at the bottom of the invite.
    Actually the who is the bridal couple.
  • SP29 said:
    If you have a set menu, then you don't need meal cards regardless.

Actually the who is the bridal couple.
    I think that is implied under the "what"- John and Sue's wedding.

The who are the hosts- who do the guests RSVP to, who do the guests ask questions of. Traditionally that would be "Mr. and Mrs. Bridesparents/ Mr. and Mrs. Groomsparents request the pleasure of your company.....", but hosts can of course also be the bride and groom, "The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of John and Sue...".

One more thought: while you aren't required to offer a bunch of different meal choices, do you have plans for finding out about and dealing with dietary restrictions?  It seems statistically pretty likely that with 75 guests you would have at least one vegetarian.  How about food allergies?  If I were you I would make sure I had a space in the RSVP form for guests to make you aware of these concerns.
    Yes! Either on your RSVP card, or in the website response section, include something where guests can list any allergies or dietary restrictions.
  • Thanks for your input, it will be helpful:)
  • @SP29 I was thinking of doing the same thing, but then for the people who mail the reply cards back, they no longer have your wedding website information (unless they write it down.) Was this a problem? 
  • @SP29 I was thinking of doing the same thing, but then for the people who mail the reply cards back, they no longer have your wedding website information (unless they write it down.) Was this a problem? 
    Not that anyone made me aware of. I suppose it could be though. But usually I check the website out first, so it's saved in my history.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    We found great invitation thats were all one piece of heavy cardstock but folded to send and the bottom section was perforated to rip off and send as an RSVP postcard.  I despise invitation suites with multiple pieces of paper, envelopes, information, inserts, etc. and these worked great if 

I only suggest this as it felt more formal to me than doing everything online, but not nearly as fussy as the multiple piece invites that most ppl send. 

EDIT to clarify:  all online may be too techy for some and (to me) seems too informal for a wedding invite.  We were able to give pertinent information (times, locations, dates) in a very simple card with a tear-off RSVP.
  • @casadena Where did you get the seal and send. I have been looking into them and where to find them.
  • I would include response cards because a lot of people don't want to take that extra step to look up your website to rsvp. I am including an additional business card sized insert with my invites that lists the wedding website and hashtag :) 
  • Knot1 said:
    @casadena Where did you get the seal and send. I have been looking into them and where to find them.
    I believe they were from Carlson Crafts (online).  
  • I included a wedding website on my StD. As far as I can tell, only one person looked at it. I had some family member comment that they didn't see it. I had one family member comment that it didn't bring them to my page.

I had considered not doing RSVP cards, but I think I have enough non-technical guests that I had to give another option. So, I still will send out RSVP cards, but I will also include a card with my wedding website so that people can look up any additional information they need in one place.