Chit Chat

Why you should NOT have a cash bar at your wedding

Re: Why you should NOT have a cash bar at your wedding

• But I thought he was Mr. Money Bags.  That he was the best candidate because he doesn't need anybody's/special interest groups money.

And it already begins.  Robbing from the poor to give to the rich.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I showed this post to DH and like five seconds later on the news they showed trumps cash bar and everyone commented saying that all election parties are actually cash bars. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I showed this post to DH and like five seconds later on the news they showed trumps cash bar and everyone commented saying that all election parties are actually cash bars. 

• Thanks to the commenters pointing out cash bars at a candidate's watch party are the usual.  I would not have thought that, so it at least puts Trump's cash bar into perspective for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks to the commenters pointing out cash bars at a candidate's watch party are the usual.  I would not have thought that, so it at least puts Trump's cash bar into perspective for me.

Add me to the list of didn't know that!

Add me to the list of didn't know that!
    I'm on the list too! 
    Though I stand by my Trump is off-putting and nonsensical comment. 
  • Nearly all political events are cash bars. And I approve of it. As a donor I don't want my funds wasted on buying drinks. I fully expect a cash bar when I pay to attend political events. 
    Totally agree.

This isn't a wedding reception.   It's a political event.   They shouldn't be confused.

• Nearly all political events are cash bars. And I approve of it. As a donor I don't want my funds wasted on buying drinks. I fully expect a cash bar when I pay to attend political events

SITB

I didn't know that either. That makes a lot of sense.
  • Yeah once I heard the reasoning it made sense but I will admit initially I was like wtf no cash barssss and then I was just like WHATEVER TRUMP STILL SUCKS... haha
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I've been involved with campaigns since the 80's (My uncle was an elected official and once old enough I was brought on as a babysitter because they wanted someone in the family watching the kids and I now understand why) - never a single one that was an open bar or anything free other than the occasional cheap-brand sodas...  The other reason is they're trying to get every penny in donations they can, but also because of laws regarding politicians receiving gifts - it's crazy some of the restrictions especially for Congress and the "Toothpick rule"...  
  • Question, where does the money go to these cash bars?
    Typically, to the establishment hosting- contracts with a bar will often say that the party isn't hosting and all cash bar receipts stay with the bar, or that the caterer will supply alcohol in exchange for keeping the receipts from the alcohol. 

I'm sure there are other arrangements but that's what I've seen done. 
    Typically, to the establishment hosting- contracts with a bar will often say that the party isn't hosting and all cash bar receipts stay with the bar, or that the caterer will supply alcohol in exchange for keeping the receipts from the alcohol. 

Yeah, if you are having any kind of an event at a venue and have a cash bar the venue (i.e. hotel) keeps the money.  If you are having the event at a place you bring in your own, then the caterer would keep the money.

Rarely would the people/organization putting on the event get a cut of the bar receipts.  Exceptions might be charity events.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

That's what I was hoping, but is it possible money could go to the party?

That's what I was hoping, but is it possible money could go to the party?
    I suppose theoretically, but setting that up in a way that would comply with campaign finance disclosure laws would be so difficult as to be practically not an option. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    Wasn't Trump's party at Trump Tower?    If so, in a round about way he gets part of the cut anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated.