Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridal store incorrect charge - now wants the difference

Yesterday I bought my bridal gown and bridesmaids dresses at a local bridal store. I was told to pay in full for my dress and pay half for my bridesmaids dresses. I did just that and I was quoted $175 for each dress. Today, I get a text from the owner's daughter and she explains that her mother undercharged me and in fact the dresses are suppose to be $190. She asked if this is ok? I had given my credit card to pay for the purchases and signed off on it yesterday for the original amount of $175 per bridesmaid dress. I'm upset that the daughter contacted me about this after the sale was already completed. She is also a family friend which makes this case a little dicey.

Should I suck it up and agree to pay the difference despite the mistake on the owner's (her mother) part? Or should I be allowed to have the original agreed upon price considering I have already paid?

I also had planned to hire the daughter for her makeup artistry and hair services for an out of state wedding, but I am seriously thinking that maybe I shouldn't given how petty it is that she contacted me this way.

Re: Bridal store incorrect charge - now wants the difference

• I would have an in person discussion letting her know that you had agreed to the original price and it was part of the reason you chose the dresses (if that was a reason). I might offer to pay for half the difference to show kindness. Mistakes like that should technically be carried by the business but I think if you have the ability to help out, you should.

• Yesterday I bought my bridal gown and bridesmaids dresses at a local bridal store. I was told to pay in full for my dress and pay half for my bridesmaids dresses. I did just that and I was quoted $175 for each dress. Today, I get a text from the owner's daughter and she explains that her mother undercharged me and in fact the dresses are suppose to be $190. She asked if this is ok? I had given my credit card to pay for the purchases and signed off on it yesterday for the original amount of $175 per bridesmaid dress. I'm upset that the daughter contacted me about this after the sale was already completed. She is also a family friend which makes this case a little dicey.

Should I suck it up and agree to pay the difference despite the mistake on the owner's (her mother) part? Or should I be allowed to have the original agreed upon price considering I have already paid?

I also had planned to hire the daughter for her makeup artistry and hair services for an out of state wedding, but I am seriously thinking that maybe I shouldn't given how petty it is that she contacted me this way.

If you made a partial payment prior to leaving the store, I would assume a scan or tag was read and fed into their system.  That is when the error should have been detected.  Once you left the store, I believe the store is obliged to honor the price not only quoted, but agreed upon as per your deposit/payment.  I would not pay any additional monies for the dresses.

I would also probably look for another hair stylist and make up artist.
  • Family friend or not, the $175 was the agreed upon price before you paid.  It's one thing if they forgot to add on tax which would take it to the $190 in which case, it's a different discussion.  If they forgot to charge you the tax due on the dresses, pay, if it's not something like that, you're in a negotiating position to say "no"...
  • Is it possible the mother intended to give you a discount? I would not feel like I needed to pay extra for the dresses. What did the tags on the dresses say?
  • If you'd bought the dresses at Macy's for $175, and they called you afterwards and said it was supposed to be $190, would you return and pay the difference?  Probably not.  If the small business and family friend thing weighs heavily to you, then return to pay the difference.  Personally, I wouldn't.  
  • Thanks for the replies. I'll be sorting it out tomorrow when I stop in the shop to pick up another evening gown that they are altering for me. I feel slighted by this situation because over the years we have used them for plenty of services and they have always delivered fine end results. I'm hoping maybe the daughter and mother had some miscommunication and this will be resolved quickly and without drama. I appreciate all the feedback and pray that this will work out in my favor in the end.
  • I would definitely feel awkward about it, but I don't think you should have to pay the difference.

You were told $175 per dress, that's what you paid. You can say that the price is part of the reason you chose that particular dress (you are keeping the dresses in a particular budget), so no, you are not prepared to pay more.
  • You don't have to pay a penny more than the price you agreed to.  They don't get to go back and alter the terms after the fact any more than you do.  You can't call them the next day and say you are only paying $160, and they can't demand $190.  This is a business, and the price you all agreed to is the price.

Now with that said, I personally would agree to split the difference with them only because it is a friend.  If you each eat $7.50 it's not likely to make a big financial difference to either of you and neither party has to feel like they were entirely screwed over by the other.