Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dinner4Two

I just got the call saying I won the 3day 2 night trip to either Bahamas, DR, or Mexico. All I have to do is attend their cooking class this Thursday and then I'll get all the info. Is this legit??

Thanks in Advance! :)

Re: Dinner4Two

• KGurney28 said:

I just got the call saying I won the 3day 2 night trip to either Bahamas, DR, or Mexico. All I have to do is attend their cooking class this Thursday and then I'll get all the info. Is this legit??

Thanks in Advance! :)

Legit, but it's basically a hard core sales pitch.  Everyone 'wins' the prize.  usually it's the 2 nights stay in a hotel and you pay for flights to get there.  Or everything is included, but there's a fee you have to pay to get the prize.  If you want to go on the trip and don't mind paying for some of it, go for it.  If you're not interested in the trip or can't afford the extra costs and don't want the cookware, don't bother going

• Probably a time share offer where they won't take no for an answer. I would avoid this deal because I tend to cave when people are selling me on things. If you can stand your ground firmly, then you might consider going. At all costs, DO NOT sign up for a time share no matter how good they make it sound. Time shares are TERRIBLE financial decisions. Good luck!
  • After a bit of google research it appears that this not technically a scam but will likely not be at all what you think it will be.  Someone on another forum said they sat through a huge sales pitch to get vouchers to an ok hotel with hardly any dates that were available...and then part of the time there was to be spent in seminars/sales pitches...I cannot speak of the legitimacy but I will say this.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

I personally "won" similar things too, but had to jump through so many random scammy sounding hoops that I just stopped answering.  I assume my information was sold by David's Bridal and/or the Knot as both times I "won" a prize was after signing up here and purchasing my dress.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    I would also avoid this unless you were planning on taking a trip to one of these locations anyway.

There is usually a "catch", if not more than one.

You may likely be limited to picking only certain dates. You still need to pay your airfare. Sometimes other fees like resort fees (or docking/port fees, if it is a cruise) are not included. It IS a vacation, but not a free one.

The presentation, as said, is a huge sales pitch.

All I can think of when I hear of these things is the timeshare episode from South Park.