Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

What to do with dress??

Hey everyone, 

My wedding was exactly 6 months ago today. I look at my dress every once in awhile and have the same thought: I really need to do something with it. 

It is a little dirty from walking around, a few random wine stains (even though I didn't drink red wine... so odd!), and some beading that has come loose. Obviously, I need to get it cleaned. However I'm torn- most everything I see from research is that cleaning & preserving is the most cost effective option, but I'm not "ready" to preserve my dress. I still have dreams of breaking it out and wearing it on our anniversary to have fun, etc. 

What did you guys do? Did any of you have it preserved but then wore it again? If you did, what did you decide to do after the fact? Is preservation worth it (now or later)?

Thanks all!
Meredith

Re: What to do with dress??

• That is a gorgeous dress. I have been married 34 years and had my dress and veil preserved shortly after my wedding. It was a waste of money. My daughter had absolutely no desire to wear it - styles have changed too much. My dress wasn't even an over the top '80's dress.  She did however, wear my veil after removing it from the cap to which it was originally attached. If I have grandchildren, I may have my gown made into a baptismal gown. You might consider preserving your veil if you had one since they can be easily restyled. Hope this helps.
  • Gorgeous dress!

My dress is currently hanging in its garment bag in the closet. I tried to sell it privately, but no luck. I'll probably donate it one day (should do that sooner than later so it doesn't go out of style).

I thought about preserving it, but thought "meh, what for??". If I want to look at it again, I can look at my photos. I suppose I could put it on again, but I'd still need someone to tie up the corset back for me. But how long would I keep it on? 5 mins? I did hear of a story where a bunch of married friends got together, all wore their wedding dresses and had a tea party. That could be fun!

As for your dress, if you really want to preserve it, go for it. I don't think there is a particular rule about when you can or cannot preserve it, just that whatever state it is in at the time is how it will preserve.
  • The wedding was less than a month ago and I'm still deciding.  We don't want children (not that I would assume a daughter of mine would want this dress if we were having children) and I really don't have the room in my house to store such a puffy dress.  I'm hoping to sell it. 

• I preserved mine. They cleaned it before they preserved it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it.
  • Regardless of what you decide to do. Get it cleaned ASAP.

I'm currently toying with the idea of putting it into a shadow box. A few of my friends did this and I love that it is in their office at home or closet. A very pretty reminder of their day.

I would also love to wear my dress again but just don't see that as being something that will happen.

• What about an anniversary/trash the dress shoot? Found myself talking with a friend and that's what she did... sounds kind of fun?? I guess you guys are right- I sense some what's the use or I don't know why I did it this way... maybe just have a little more fun with it? Or at least make it worth the price to have it cleaned
  • What about an anniversary/trash the dress shoot? Found myself talking with a friend and that's what she did... sounds kind of fun?? I guess you guys are right- I sense some what's the use or I don't know why I did it this way... maybe just have a little more fun with it? Or at least make it worth the price to have it cleaned
    I really hate trash the dress.  I think of how little money I had to spend on a dress when I was a bride.  The idea that someone would deliberately ruin a dress that could be useful to a less fortunate bride disgusts me.  So wasteful!  Consider donating it to charity.  Unless the dress is real silk (most are not), you can probably spot clean the stains before donating.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    What about an anniversary/trash the dress shoot? Found myself talking with a friend and that's what she did... sounds kind of fun?? I guess you guys are right- I sense some what's the use or I don't know why I did it this way... maybe just have a little more fun with it? Or at least make it worth the price to have it cleaned
    I really hate trash the dress.  I think of how little money I had to spend on a dress when I was a bride.  The idea that someone would deliberately ruin a dress that could be useful to a less fortunate bride disgusts me.  So wasteful!  Consider donating it to charity.  Unless the dress is real silk (most are not), you can probably spot clean the stains before donating.  JMHO.

The majority of the trash the dress shoots didn't actually trash the dress. The dress gets wet or dirty but when sent to the cleaner looks brand new. Using paint or something similar may actually ruin the dress so depends on what the photoshoot is doing.

I'm not a huge fan of trash the dress but I don't see anything different from a bride who chooses to keep her dress and it never gets used again. Both are not donated and reused by a future bride.

• As much as I'd like to keep my dress forever(!), I personally think donating it is the best way to go. If you do go for preservation, you should do it as soon as possible.
  • ernursejernursej member
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

@jells2dot0 can you close this?