Wedding Woes

Gift advice needed

1. I'm trying to narrow down what to buy for my Oma, who is 94 and lives in a memory care facility. These are the ideas I have: either knitted slippers with nonskid soles or scented lotion and flavored lip balm.  My Mom suggested getting her flowers, so I was considering an artificial flower arrangement, and I got her a simple word search book and an adult coloring book last year. 

2. I'm also trying to pick out stocking stuffers for FSD. Right now, I'm leaning towards some Play-Doh tools (we got her a 24-pack of Play-Doh for her birthday), mini stamp markers, thinking putty, a deck of cards (I plan to teach her some simple games when we visit), a coloring book; and flavored lip balm. What do you think of those choices?

Re: Gift advice needed

• 1. Can she have something edible?  We used to get my grandma canned fruit. She loved it but would neve "splurge" on it. I also wonder about gifting something to the caregivers?

2. How old is she?  I'd probably skip the stampers (that may be me though I hate ink). Add candy and $5. 
  • 6fsn said:
    1. Can she have something edible?  We used to get my grandma canned fruit. She loved it but would neve "splurge" on it. I also wonder about gifting something to the caregivers?

2. How old is she?  I'd probably skip the stampers (that may be me though I hate ink). Add candy and $5. 
    1. She does have a small fridge in her room. Maybe some fresh fruit and good bakery?

2. FSD is 7. Candy and cash are great ideas. We'll need to ask about allergies.
  • I kept my mom stocked with Ghirardelli or other good chocolate. The aides used it to treat her (or bribe her). She loved good dark chocolate and would revel in the taste. Smuggled ice cream in to her as well.
  • 7 changes things. I was guessing 3. Skip the play doh tools, coloring book and stampers.  My kids 8,5,4 are getting Rubik's cubes, silly putty and Pokémon cards. My daughter is also getting shopkins.  Plus candy and $5. Look for a small set of nail art, hair chalk, or jewelry making kit 
  • Isn't 7 old for play dough? At that age maybe the first little house book, or a craft kit
  • 1. I would say the nonskid slippers are a good idea, or also the fuzzy slipper socks with the grips on the bottom.  I also agree with food, whatever she likes in particular, or maybe something she hasn't had in a while.  If she is no longer where she grew up, maybe something that reminds her of that (Eli's cheesecake in Chicago, pralines in New Orleans, etc.).  My grandma is 100 and I know she is so over stuff--she has more stuff than she needs.  She also really liked word puzzle books, so I like that idea you had.

2.  My DD is 7--what is FSD into?  DD was big into Monster High for a while, and then it was Shopkins, and now it's more American Girl.  So my answer will vary depending on her interests.  Depending on what she's into, blind bags are a big thing, and perfect for a stocking.  (They have Tsum Tsum, Monster High Minis, and tons of others.)  If she's into girly stuff, you can toss in lip gloss, nailpolish, body glitter, stuff like that.  Or hair chalk.  Hair accessories.  Bath & Body Works runs pretty much continuous sales on their travel size toiletries this time of year.  Art supplies are always good--DD is crazy about glitter glue, which is also sized for a stocking.  Little bracelets are good, charms if she already has a charm bracelet, or earrings if she has pierced ears.*  Her favorite candy.     

* Wooz recently started making noises about getting her ears pierced, and we were noncommittal.  Then she asked me "When you get your ears pierced, do they actually make a hole in your ear?"  I told her yep, they have a gun with a needle on it, and it actually makes a hole in your earlobe for the earring to go in.  She looked horrified and said "Never mind, I don't want that." 

• Older grandparents are hard to buy for, regardless of health.
    Here's what I'm getting both my nana (88) and my granny (76) and maybe that will help

nana:
    - Coronation street calendar {tradition}
    - baking lemon bars {her fave!}
    - maybe adult colouring book {I saw Coronation Street before, so maybe?}
    - OR something like a fancy body lotion {maybe charmed aroma, so jewelry is included}

granny:
    - teacup planter {somewhat Christmas themed}
    - baking something {haven't decided what}
    - maybe a body lotion {also charmed aroma} unless I find something else
  • My grandma LOVES getting slippers. She has Alzheimer's and doesn't really appreciate gifts that she won't use anymore, so we try to keep her gifts more practical. Mine doesn't eat very much anymore, so I wouldn't get her any food gifts. But if your granny has something she likes to eat definitely go for it!

I know nothing about gifts for kids, so I'm not much help there :D

• @MissKittyDanger, I had no idea what "Coronation Street" was and had to google it, lol.  For anyone else who doesn't have the BBC in their cable package, it's a long running British soap opera.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Play doh and things like that are fine if it's for your house, but you should clear it with whoever she lives with to see if they allow it. I know a lot of parent's don't like those types of things because they get in the carpet.
  • For Oma, I'd say anything that's all about comfort..fuzzy slippers, a nice blanket, etc.

For FSD, nail polish or nail art, fun lip balms, and anything glittery were a hit when my niece was that age.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @MissKittyDanger, I had no idea what "Coronation Street" was and had to google it, lol.  For anyone else who doesn't have the BBC in their cable package, it's a long running British soap opera.
    lmao it's such a staple in my family I keep forgetting not everyone may know it! Where it's based is where my nana's family is from, so she likes it for nostalgia sake :)
  • for FSD: how about an experience gift? do you know what she's into?

My daughter is 6, and it changes daily. Could you get tickets and take her to a show (concert/musical/play/disney on ice/monster trucks/circus/whatever she's into) - or maybe a "special day out" - lunch, pedicures, movie - pass for a local museum/zoo/attraction? A lesson or two (check with full time caregivers if they are agreeable/willing to continue), maybe a day at a paint your pottery/paint with a twist-type place?

Wolverine is spoiled by the grandparents/aunts/uncles, so a lot of times I'll go for the experience gifts. 

• I agree that edibles would be great for Oma.  My grandma has decided that she doesn't need anymore stuff in her house and requests only food.  I assume space is limited at the care facility so edibles may be the most practical for that reason as well.  I usually buy a basket at Harry & David and grandma swoons.

I know nothing about 7 year old girls, so I can't help in that area.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• ernursej said:
    Depending on budget, you could hire someone to do a mobile pedicure or manicure for Oma. I've done that for my Grandma and she loved it. I used a local cosmetology school and it was very reasonable in price.
    This is such a good idea. When my mother was in the nursing home, a friend of mine was in charge of the local high school's nurse's assistant program. Her students would come to the facility and help with the patients. They would do Mom's nails. She loved it. I think she loved interacting with the young people the most.
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks everyone! 

FSD is into Minecraft, Legos, and Harry Potter. I found Minecraft blind boxes on Amazon and will get a couple of those for her stocking.

@*Barbie*, FSD lives in another state, or I'd go for the experience gifts in a heartbeat.

The mobile manicure or pedicure is a great idea, but out of my budget.

Oma can keep fresh fruit in her room, and it's something she might actually eat. I'm thinking about a fruit basket. 
  • Thanks everyone! 

FSD is into Minecraft, Legos, and Harry Potter. I found Minecraft blind boxes on Amazon and will get a couple of those for her stocking.

@*Barbie*, FSD lives in another state, or I'd go for the experience gifts in a heartbeat.

Oma can keep fresh fruit in her room, and it's something she might actually eat. I'm thinking about a fruit basket. 

Fresh fruit sounds great.

For the record, I only paid $15.00 for the pedicure. It covered travel, supplies and an hour treatment. I think it was such a great deal because I went through a cosmetology school. $15.00 might still be over the budget but wanted to put out the amount I paid for anyone lurking that might be wondering.

• ernursej said:
    Thanks everyone! 

For the record, I only paid $15.00 for the pedicure. It covered travel, supplies and an hour treatment. I think it was such a great deal because I went through a cosmetology school. $15.00 might still be over the budget but wanted to put out the amount I paid for anyone lurking that might be wondering.

Only $15? That's great. I may have to check into it after all. I just assumed it would be more.
  • ernursej said:
    Thanks everyone! 

Only $15? That's great. I may have to check into it after all. I just assumed it would be more.

It could be more where you live and it has been a few years since I did this but I always think it is worth checking out. I was surprised by the price but they were just wanting to practice on working with people that were wanting something nice and simple.
  • @OurWildKingdom I have two of Shel Silverstein's poetry books. I read them to Mouse before bed. Those are great gifts. Good job.

btw - Now I want a Harry Potter coloring book.