Chit Chat

BM dress shop rant

MCmeowMCmeow member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited November 2016 in Chit Chat
Considering all the other issues I and most people and the world are going through and current events that are awful, it's almost nice to have a first world problem to complain about lol. So this rant is just a silly rant.

Two of my three bridesmaids came along to a bridesmaid dress store a few weeks ago, the service was fine, nothing to complain about. They loved the dresses they chose (I'm doing mismatched, different shades of blue). So my BM's decided to wait a week or so before ordering, just to be sure they felt the same way about the dresses. One BM felt like the size they recommended was too large, so we went back to make sure and had it changed. They told her to sign off the change as proof that she authorized it. In the entirety of speaking to this shop I've mentioned many times that I wanted to pay for the difference so that each BM won't pay more than $200. They said they'd make a separate invoice for me. They also mentioned to us that the BM's just need to call in whenever they're ready to order. Seemed easy enough.

Anyway yesterday I get an email telling me to confirm the order by Monday (Today). with the incorrect dress size. So I emailed them back and corrected them and asked to make sure they weren't ordering without confirming with the BM's.

Hours later last night I get a text in our group message from a bridesmaid asking if I ordered the dresses and I replied "No, you just call them whenever you're ready. Why?", "umm apparently they placed the order for me" They charged her card and sent a receipt with the full dress price -_-. Same with the 2nd BM, with the wrong dress size. I felt so bad. So I emailed back because it was too late to call. They never responded so I called them today. They apologized and fixed the size, but that's about it. They'll refund the difference to them that I agreed to pay. 

I don't like that other people were inconvenienced on my behalf, especially my BM's who don't even need to buy a dress and are nice enough to participate in my and fiance's day. I don't know what was going through their heads to make them think it's ok to charge someone without asking or to send an order without a confirmation. Even if the bride said so, the bride does not own the BM or her money. I just don't get it. Is it just me? Or is this normal in the bridal industry?

Anyway! Maybe this can be a rant thread so it's not pointless :P rant away.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BM dress shop rant

• Not cool. That sounds like some BS I'd expect from David's Bridal, but I have a feeling you didn't go there. 
  • That is annoying!  I can see why your irritated.  But you corrected the problem quickly, so it was the least amount of inconvenience to your BMs it could be.  Kudos for that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think maybe it is potentially confusing for the store, as both the BMs and you are paying for the dresses (but you also did not give the go ahead). The store shouldn't be placing an order until the person paying has agreed to the order. At least I hope dress shops aren't placing orders for BMs under the direction of the bride saying, "yes, order them!".

The size thing is annoying. Good the fixed it quickly and without a fuss, but something like that is an irrational annoyance for me- do you not communicate??? (I order directly from the company to get a supplement for my horse. They take my credit card number over the phone and ship directly to me. When I moved 2 years ago, I called them for my next order, told them I moved and the new address. The delivery showed up at my old residence- 3 provinces away! I called them back after not receiving the delivery in it's usual time frame, and fortunately they re-shipped to my real address at their cost the next day, but I still think geesh, do you not have a central computer system for this kind of stuff?)

Besides the dress model number, the size is probably the second most important number.
  • I'm wondering about legalities about setting up payments without authorization. That's kind of sketch, even if it's a reputable store/company.

The whole things sounds annoying, but at least they fixed the sizing. I know it sounds more of a hassle than normal, but is it possible for you to send your BM's money since you wanted to pay the difference? Might be easiest option in comparison.

Hopefully everything else goes smoothly!
  • I'm wondering about legalities about setting up payments without authorization. That's kind of sketch, even if it's a reputable store/company.

The whole things sounds annoying, but at least they fixed the sizing. I know it sounds more of a hassle than normal, but is it possible for you to send your BM's money since you wanted to pay the difference? Might be easiest option in comparison.

Hopefully everything else goes smoothly!
    Yeah I felt like they were crossing some legal line. And the payment thing. Just gonna quickpay them instead lol. The point was for them to not have to pay the full amount in the first place which I thought would be easier! Lawd

Not cool. That sounds like some BS I'd expect from David's Bridal, but I have a feeling you didn't go there. 
    Nah it wasn't a chain place but they are reputable. I'd expect better from them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker