Attire & Accessories Forum

Looking for a very plain dress

I am "new" here (I used to hang out here 10+ years ago when I was planning my first wedding).  I wound up eloping last time and bought a dress off the rack so this is my first real experience shopping for a gown in bridal shops.

This time around I'm having a ceremony and a large-ish formal reception at a hall.  (My SO has never been married and wants the whole white wedding).

I have a fairly good idea of what kind of dress I'm looking for, but I've been to 3 bridal shops so far and I'm not seeing what I am envisioning.  I know David's bridal has a few very plain dresses, I think I tried them all on.  One was ok, but it was strapless, which I don't love on me.

I am looking for a plain, no beading, no lace, no ruching/ rhinestones or trim of any kind dress, with straps. I am looking for something a bit structured/ tailored, so not really a flimsy sheath.  I saw a few dresses I liked on Jcrew.com, but nothing in my size.

Does anyone have any shopping recommendations or know of a designer that makes plain/ tailored looking dresses?  

Sorry if this got long winded!

Re: Looking for a very plain dress

• Have you looked at bridesmaids dresses that come in white?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Have you looked at bridesmaids dresses that come in white?

A bit, but they don't seem formal enough.

• Heffalump said:
    BHLDN?
    You know, I saw this site mentioned in another thread and I checked it out.  I did think a lot of the dresses were pretty, but is there a brick and mortar store or are they only online?  I'm short and kind of chubby (and old-ish) so I need to try on.

• Heffalump said:
    BHLDN?
    You know, I saw this site mentioned in another thread and I checked it out.  I did think a lot of the dresses were pretty, but is there a brick and mortar store or are they only online?  I'm short and kind of chubby (and old-ish) so I need to try on.

Yes they have online stores. Go to their website and look for locations. 

Have you looked at Macy's or Nordstroms bridal section? 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Heffalump said:
    BHLDN?

They are a subsidiary of Anthropologie.  They have some brick and mortar stores http://www.bhldn.com/stores/, but if none of the locations are convenient, check with Anthropologie  to see if dresses you order online can be returned via their store.

Many larger department stores, such as Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and Lord and Taylor have wedding suites within their stores.  You would need to check your specific store to determine whether they have one. 

• Can you show us a pic of some of the Jcrew dresses you liked (even if it's not your size)? Agreed to go simple - department stores and "bridesmaid" dresses in white.
  • MobKaz said:

Heffalump said:
    BHLDN?

They are a subsidiary of Anthropologie.  They have some brick and mortar stores http://www.bhldn.com/stores/, but if none of the locations are convenient, check with Anthropologie  to see if dresses you order online can be returned via their store.

Many larger department stores, such as Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and Lord and Taylor have wedding suites within their stores.  You would need to check your specific store to determine whether they have one. 

If you order online at these stores you can return them to the brick and mortar - even if they don't have a bridal salon within the store. That's how I got my MOB dress! 
  • Keep in mind that if you find something you like that is strapless, a good seamstress can add straps. That may open up your selection a bit. Have you tried on other kinds of dresses? I've noticed that a lot of brides have a vision of what they want and many buy something very different.
  • Can you show us a pic of some of the Jcrew dresses you liked (even if it's not your size)? Agreed to go simple - department stores and "bridesmaid" dresses in white.

I am stuck in the box, this is a dress I found on Pinterest and loved.  It's a southern designer and none of the stores near me carry her line. (I'm in NY)

the J crew dress is similar.
  • ernursej said:
    Keep in mind that if you find something you like that is strapless, a good seamstress can add straps. That may open up your selection a bit. Have you tried on other kinds of dresses? I've noticed that a lot of brides have a vision of what they want and many buy something very different.
    Yes, I've been open to trying on everything and anything - I tried a few very embellished trumpet style dresses and a few ball gowns with tulle/ beading.

All were very pretty, just not "me". 
  • Also, what size are you looking for - Describing yourself as "Short and chubby" tells us nothing for helping you find something.  Also bridal stores other than David's suck at carrying stock for those who are above a size 10, so if you're above that, be prepared you may need to use your imagination a bit so best to know what styles look good on you.  Check with some of your local Bridal Consignment Stores as you never know, they may have something.  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Also, what size are you looking for - Describing yourself as "Short and chubby" tells us nothing for helping you find something.  Also bridal stores other than David's suck at carrying stock for those who are above a size 10, so if you're above that, be prepared you may need to use your imagination a bit so best to know what styles look good on you.  Check with some of your local Bridal Consignment Stores as you never know, they may have something.  
    Good point, I'm a street size 10.  I know bridal dresses have not evolved size wise the same way street clothes do so I'm assuming I probably need a 12 or a 14 wedding dress.
  • I think you would be best finding that kind of dress in a major box store/local dress store.  I know many of the chains have Bridal Departments and they are usually really good about returns/exchanges. 

In general I have had success ordering from eshakti.  They have a weddings/event section and allow a good deal of customization.  I know this goes against your ability to try things on, but it may be worth checking out anyway:  http://www.eshakti.com/Shop/Weddings-And-Events 

• I think you would be best finding that kind of dress in a major box store/local dress store.  I know many of the chains have Bridal Departments and they are usually really good about returns/exchanges. 

In general I have had success ordering from eshakti.  They have a weddings/event section and allow a good deal of customization.  I know this goes against your ability to try things on, but it may be worth checking out anyway:  http://www.eshakti.com/Shop/Weddings-And-Events 

Thank you!  I have seen ads for eshakti, I will check them out!
  • ModCloth is another possibility. They have some simple dresses for $200 or less.