• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Chit Chat

NWR - How much would you gift (daycare provider)?

DS is 1 and is enrolled in a full-time daycare program.  He joined the program last month, and by the holidays will have been enrolled for about 6 weeks.  I'm trying to decide how much to spend on teacher gifts for the holidays.  He's got 2 primary teachers and interacts with four other teachers for his age group.  I think for the group of teachers, I've settled on putting together a basket of snacks and treats based on their "favorite things" lists.  But how much would you spend on gifts?  I'm thinking of doing a combo of items and gift cards.  And would you do one large gift card or a couple of cards (to separate places) in smaller amounts?

TIA for the opinions!
Anniversary

Re: NWR - How much would you gift (daycare provider)?

• I don't know the first thing about daycare provider gifts, but regardless I am firmly planted on Team Large Gift Card because the recipient only has to "make up the difference" once.  If I am given three $10 gift cards to three different stores, I go into each one and look for something to buy.  I don't want the thing that costs $9 because that means a dollar goes to waste.  But nothing ever costs exactly $10.  So I pick out something that's a bit more than the value of the gift card and go out of pocket on the difference.  The more different cards I receive to different stores, the more times I have to do that.
  • JaxInBlue said:
    DS is 1 and is enrolled in a full-time daycare program.  He joined the program last month, and by the holidays will have been enrolled for about 6 weeks.  I'm trying to decide how much to spend on teacher gifts for the holidays.  He's got 2 primary teachers and interacts with four other teachers for his age group.  I think for the group of teachers, I've settled on putting together a basket of snacks and treats based on their "favorite things" lists.  But how much would you spend on gifts?  I'm thinking of doing a combo of items and gift cards.  And would you do one large gift card or a couple of cards (to separate places) in smaller amounts?

TIA for the opinions!

I'm in this boat, too.  I'm also a fan of the large gift card.  It's simpler, for you, and especially for the recipient.  They're already getting a shitton of separate gift cards from parents, so they definitely don't need them further subdivided.
    charlotte989875
  • DrillSergeantCatDrillSergeantCat Oklahoma City, OK member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    I'm making scarves for Mouse's three teachers. I may also get them each a little something but I'll probably just bring in a dozen donuts for them to share that day. 
  • I'd skip the basket and give a visa gift card to each. Since he's only been there a few weeks I'd do $50 for each of the main teachers and $25 for the other four. 
  • I teach high school so a little different...while I have about 150 students each semester, I will probably get 2-3 Christmas presents (they each have 8 teachers). I would vote for one larger gift card rather than a few smaller ones.

As for "items"... I would personally prefer non-fun things that I use at work all the time but have to pay for myself (bandaids, clorox wipes, tissues), rather than trinkets.

It's semi soul-crushing as a teacher to spend your measly paycheck at costco because the school system thinks one ply toilet paper (that is padlocked into stalls) is a substitute for a kleenex when you are surrounded by germs everyday.

• thefanciestbecklerthefanciestbeckler Chattanooga, TN member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer

I worked full time in a daycare for a while a few years back. Based on the gifts I got from parents, here's my insight:

I'd skip the basket and put the money you'd spend on that towards one large gift card. I definitely preferred that over a $10 Starbucks card here and a $10 Target gift card there. One mom got all of us a bunch of soaps at Bath and Body Works (probably 3 or 4 bottles a piece). That was a good gift too.

• DrillSergeantCatDrillSergeantCat Oklahoma City, OK member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    @thefanciestbeckler is it bad that I'm making them each a scarf? I'm doing each a different pattern that I think they'd like and I consulted on their favorite colors. I'm second guessing myself.
  • thefanciestbecklerthefanciestbeckler Chattanooga, TN member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer
    @thefanciestbeckler is it bad that I'm making them each a scarf? I'm doing each a different pattern that I think they'd like and I consulted on their favorite colors. I'm second guessing myself.

No! I think that's a great idea. I would have loved that. Very thoughtful of you :)

DrillSergeantCat
  • Thanks everyone!  Appreciate the advice to go with one larger gift card and to make that the main present for everyone.  I still add a little of their favorite candy but I'll focus on the gift cards.  That definitely makes shopping easier!
    Anniversary

thefanciestbeckler