Wedding Woes
Options

Stupid banana question

is there some life trick I'm missing to keep them from browning?  I keep wanting to put them on fruit trays or on fruit salad, but the slime and brown g
factor prevent it. 

Re: Stupid banana question

• Options
    Dip them in or brush them with citrus juice or lemon lime soda (7-Up, Sprite, etc) to keep them from turning brown.
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    Dip them in or brush them with citrus juice or lemon lime soda (7-Up, Sprite, etc) to keep them from turning brown.

I did not know about lemon lime soda!  I always just used lemon or lime juice.
  • Options
    Anything with citric acid will work :smile:
  • Options

MNNEBride said:

Makes sense!  I know you are supposed to add lime juice to guacamole to prevent browning so I could see how it applies to banana's as well...add that to the "you learn something new everyday" column.
  • Options
    I guess my fruit salad will remain bananaless.  I don't see myself dipping slices and it just gets mushy anyway. 
  • Options
    I learned yesterday that while banana is listed as an egg substitute, it's probably not the best thing to substitute for eggs in cornbread. 
    Have you used chia as a sub?  I've had mixed luck...but I didn't write down so I can't remember what it was awesome or awful in.

You can also blanch bananas in hot water real fast
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    I learned yesterday that while banana is listed as an egg substitute, it's probably not the best thing to substitute for eggs in cornbread. 
    Have you used chia as a sub?  I've had mixed luck...but I didn't write down so I can't remember what it was awesome or awful in.

You can also blanch bananas in hot water real fast
    I was lucky to have a mashable banana.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I'm just glad this isn't about me....

Ditto the others that citrus on fruit will help prevent it from browning. 

I was wondering too when I saw the headline, lol!  Me, "I wonder if this post is really about bananas, the fruit.  Or @banana468, our lovely poster in the WW family."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker