Wedding Woes

Care Package Ideas

A couple years ago, MIL had her gallbladder removed (went in for gallstones, I believe, they found out it had ruptured because the thing was completely "rotten," according to her doctors), and they've never really gotten the infection under control.  Around TG, she went back in because the infection flared up again, was supposed to have some lingering gallstones removed, but they discovered the infection was too widespread, so they tried to clean the area out, antibiotics, tubes, etc.  She was supposed to go in for her follow up surgery after Christmas, but they have pushed it out til January.

She's incredibly depressed about it.  She doesn't want to leave the house, they had to cancel their plans to come see us over the holidays, etc. and so forth.  I'd like to mail her a care package to try to lift her spirits, but I'm struggling to come up with ideas for what to include, since she's on a liquid diet.

So far, I have a couple of books (she loves to read, we swap books all the time), some small tins of green tea, homemade hot cocoa mix.  Anyone have any other thoughts of things that I could include?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
--Philip Pullman

Re: Care Package Ideas

• There are some good ideas above.

Depending on how comfortable your MIL is with technology, you could give her a Netflix subscription (or guest on yours).  If they don't have technology to stream, Netflix still does mailed DVDs as well.  A friend sent a 3 month subscription to my DH when he had his knee replaced and we loved it.
  • Along the lines of fuzzy socks or slippers, how about an nice throw. I'm always wrapped up in one or nice pajamas - I love Soma's sets.
  • I like everyone's ideas but I'd also add some Christmas cookies or even put some things you send in a stocking. I'm sure it's upsetting to her to miss the holidays with her family so sending her some gingerbread men or eggnog cookies or a tiny tabletop tree or something might be nice.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I like everyone's ideas but I'd also add some Christmas cookies or even put some things you send in a stocking. I'm sure it's upsetting to her to miss the holidays with her family so sending her some gingerbread men or eggnog cookies or a tiny tabletop tree or something might be nice.
    SHe's on a liquid diet though. 
    SHe's on a liquid diet though. 

Oh shit, sorry. I can't read.

But I think the Christmas theme is cute for like a stocking or ornament or something.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • You could always send an edible fruit arrangement that could be blended up to comply with her liquid diet ...

• Send cookies anyway, with instructions to freeze them. She'll have a treat to look forward to.
  • Love the flowers!!! (that was going to be my suggestion - can rarely if ever go wrong with that)

• MesmrEwe said:
    Love the flowers!!! (that was going to be my suggestion - can rarely if ever go wrong with that)

Agreed!  That little Christmas tree of roses is so clever and awesome!  I love it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker