Wedding Woes

I say no

Dear Prudence,
I’m on the autism spectrum—basically, I have what would once have been classified as mild Asperger’s. It’s not immediately obvious and doesn’t negatively affect most areas of my life. My question is, should I disclose this in my online dating profiles? On the one hand I feel like it’s important information to any prospective partners, but on the other hand there are a lot of misconceptions out there and I’d rather not get stuck with a label instead of them getting to know me in the first place.

—Dating on the Spectrum

Re: I say no

• Agreed with V.  Profile and first date no.  If things get more serious yes.
  • 1st - Aspergers isn't on the spectrum anymore.

2nd - don't disclose it unless it's necessary. It will be eventually, but on a dating profile it's not.
  • 1st - Aspergers isn't on the spectrum anymore.

2nd - don't disclose it unless it's necessary. It will be eventually, but on a dating profile it's not.
    I didn't know that.  Not that I'm up on this, but that's interesting. 
  • I agreenits important information for prospective partners to have, but not something they need to know up front (unless LW wants to disclose then). Maybe a few dates in? I'd say like any other medical condition that it's on the individual to decide when to tell the other person if it affects them. 
  • I think it's something worth discussing as a relationship progresses.

• 6fsn said:
    1st - Aspergers isn't on the spectrum anymore.

I didn't know that.  Not that I'm up on this, but that's interesting. 
    I only know because 2 of my friends are Aspergers