Chit Chat

Saying goodbye to 2016

What have been some of the high and low points of 2016 for you?

Re: Saying goodbye to 2016

• My highs were buying our first house and moving out of NC. 

My lowe were adjusting to a new job, H having a hard time finding a different job, and managing all the expenses of house/move/different pay. 

Really looking forward to 2017. 
  • Highs:
    - Made a Worlds team again for cheer, most likely my last season of competing.  And my new team is made up of the most amazing lovely people too
    - DH's dividends cheque just cleared, so not quite 2016, but we're paying off our mortgage next week
    - Went to Hawaii again and booked our Africa trip for next summer (that's been a 3-4 year process)
    - Finished my Masters

Lows:
    - I left my gym of 11 years to switch to the new gym.  It worked out well, but it was still had to leave somewhere you've considered him for so long
    - I'm more stressed at work than I was last year while doing my Masters due to more meetings, meetings and meetings, among other things

Overall, 2016 hasn't been too bad for me actually.  I can't quite get on the "Suck it 2016" train.  

• My highs were getting married and landing my dream job. And Twiggy <3

But Twiggy's arrival was at the loss of Toothless... Other lows include the widening and seemingly irreparable rift between my ILs and me, the entire month of October, the stress of house hunting, buying a second house, and moving, adjusting to a new job with a supervisor who doesn't much want to mentor and guide, and the random bout of blues I haven't been able to shake since June.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Highs:
    -buying a house after relocating
    - seeing my nephews for the first time in a year
    - visiting Norway and New Zealand for the first time. Our New Zealand trip was AH-MAZING

Lows:
    -having a hysterectomy
    - losing a good friend in a freak accident
    - losing my first kitty to cancer
    - witnessing the rapid decline of my FIL's health
    - battling PTSD post cancer treatment. I have a long way to go to get back into the right mental state

• Low-
    - my baby dying and everyone around me being pregnant and of course due within a month of my due date, furthering my triggers and sadness
    - the lack of support I received from my parents and sister and friends I thought would be there for me while I grieved losing my child in my second trimester. 

high-
    nothing. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Low-
    - my baby dying and everyone around me being pregnant and of course due within a month of my due date, furthering my triggers and sadness
    - the lack of support I received from my parents and sister and friends I thought would be there for me while I grieved losing my child in my second trimester. 

high-
    nothing. 
    I am so sorry for your loss and that you haven't received the support that you need. What a horrible thing to have to deal with. I hope 2017 brings you peace.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Highs: 
    New grandson, and visit to both my children in Maryland.
    Trip to Burgundy and Provence.
    40th wedding anniversary.
    Surviving another year.
    Chocolate.

Lows:
    Dealing with the medical industry.
    Dealing with conflicting medical opinions, and with doctors who will never, ever say "I was wrong."
    Cancer.
    Losing my cousin to Alzheimers.  She was 3 months older than I am.
    The damned election and its results. :o

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Highs
    -Enjoying the first half of the year in our former home. 
    -Vacation with my whole side of the family. 
    -Figuring out where H and I will probably be and what we'll do for the next several decades and then...
    -Moving there. 
    -Seeing old friends we hadn't seen for almost five years.
    -Getting pregnant. 

Lows
    -Stressful job.
    -Dealing with multiple bad vehicles. So much money and stress and it's still not over. 
    -H now having a fairly long commute to work for the next few months. 

Mostly a good year. 
  • @redwoodoriginal I'm am so, so sorry for you loss.

Lows:
    Trump and the impending fear of what that means for my family
    My dads health high's and lows
    I'm pretty confident my brother is using again (didn't come to the wedding and haven't heard a peep out of him since.  Not even a thumbs up on FB)

Highs:
    Married in 'Merica
    'Mooned in Mexico
    Overall had a good year at work
    Family vacation (minus said brother) for Nugget's 1st birthday
    Improving relationship with MIL

• Highs:
    H and I both got new cars
    H finished his bachelors degree
    Good year at work for both H and I
    Bought our first home!
    Got another puppy :)
    GOT MARRIED!!

Lows:
    H's grandmother passed in January
    My grandmother passed in October
    With buying a house, two new cars, and starting to pay off H's student loans, lots and lots of debt
  • Highs:

-Saw my 94 year old grandma
    -Got engaged
    -Received the highest performance rating possible at work 
    -Fianlly decided on what classes to take in college 

Lows:
    -Doctors still can't figure out why I'm having so many issues with my sinuses. I get sinus infections regularly
    -I've gotten pneumonia 3 times and I have no clue how

I can't say 2016 has been that bad for me. I definitely had more highs than lows
  • Highs: no big moves, births, jobs, just thankful for another healthy year
    Lows: two big ones
    - I lost one of my uncles the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and my grandmother the Sunday before Christmas...both were quite sick so at the time I felt relief, but sadness does hit here and there now 
    - what bums me even more than Trump actually  being our president is the fact that so many Americans voted for him, weren't outraged and repulsed by him but fired up.  I know there are lots of idiots out there but to see so many was disheartening 

@redwoodoriginal I can't imagine your grief.  As a society we grossly make light of the pain associated with miscarriage- I'm so sorry that you've suffered such loss and that you haven't received the support you need.  You're at the top of my prayers/good vibes list <3
  • Got laid off and started teaching :)
  • Hugs and healing vibes to you, @redwoodoriginal!
  • High - marrying the love of my life in October

Low - dealing with my sister. We just don't see eye to eye and it really hard to have a relationship with her.