Attire & Accessories Forum

Not happy with my dress fitting..

Hi all,
So I'm not usually the type to panic over the fit of my clothing, but with my wedding approaching in 6 weeks and having spent so much money and time on this dress, here I am.. your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I purchased a size 8 strapless Stella York dress back in June. I am petite but have a moderate bust size. When I tried the dress on initially, it was very loose and I knew that it would have to be taken in quite a bit, especially at the waist. Because of how big it was, I didn't really get a sense of what the exact fit at the top would be. 
I had my second dress fitting today, after the seamstress (who has amazing reviews and seems very capable) had taken in the waist and added a cinching strap inside. The dress feels very tight, though still breathable, which I anticipated. But I suddenly have these fat-rolls coming up over the top of the dress and around my armpits, especially when I am at all slouched. "Quad-boob" sort of thing. The dress also sits much lower than I expected it would. This is without wearing a bra at all; I'm worried that extra material there would push me up even more. 

I brought this up to the seamstress, who basically said that this is just something that happens with this style of dress (which I wish I had known before), and that she really can't make any adjustments to the dress to fix it. Her only suggestion was to use the double sided body tape. How bad does this look/how noticeable is it? Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it? Anything specific I should be asking the seamstress to try? I'll definitely look into the tape - suggestions on what kind is best would be great.

Thank you! 

Re: Not happy with my dress fitting..

• That dress looks great on you! I see what you mean about a little boob smush but thats how I usually see this style fit people. I don't think it looks bad at all!!
  • Try out putting a bra on...
  • The dress was too tight with a bra on; has fitted cups inside. Would having the seamstress open it up a little bit so that I can wear a bra make the armpit smoosh go away somewhat?
  • It looks a just a tad tight but that is generally how the bust looks with that style of dress. You look great in it though!
  • You look amazing!!

I'm a seamstress myself and I thought it would be helpful for you to hear that generally a strapless style is like that. The idea is that its tight enough that you wont be pulling it up all day.

Does it have 'construction' inside? like a sort of attached corset or half corset inside? If it does then you shouldn't need a bra at all. I think if you altered it to put a bra you will ether end up with it dropping down all day from being too big or just the same think but with a bra!

Having said all that if it doesn't have construction inside - that could help. It helps to secure the dress and puts less pressure on the top so that could be an option the seamstress could open the top a bit, whilst adding something else to secure it to stop it from falling down at all.  This would be a big change so if you did do this be prepared to have to pay a lot for the alteration. But its an idea.

I really do think that it looks wonderful. Its so small that its not really noticeable. But its important that you feel good about it on the day.

Hope it helped.
  • The dress looks great on you. In order for strapless dresses to stay put, they need to be a little tight...just goes with the strapless territory.

As far as the bra goes, I'm not sure if you're wearing one in this pic, but it doesn't look like you need one. You'll need to decide how you feel, of course. You could always go for stick on cups if the fitted ones aren't enough and you want an insurance policy against sharp nips.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks everyone; this definitely makes me feel better about it. The dress does have built-in structure, so I should have plenty of support there. I will  probably try out the double sided tape as an added security to help it stay in place since it naturally fits even a bit lower than how it is shown in the picture. 
    Has anyone used Hollywood Fashion Tape? Or have any other suggestions on what to use?
    https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Fashion-Tape-HFT-TAT/dp/B0006IO3NG/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483553089&sr=8-1&keywords=hollywood+fashion+tape
  • edited January 2017
    @Knottie1455833346

Friends of mine who have used it have had mixed results. They said it works well as long as you do not sweat a lot, which apparently washes off the adhesive.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse