Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

2»

Re: Tuesday!

• Morning!

Looks like all my random job applications and resume sending might be finally paying off. I sent my resume to a different mortgage company this weekend. Its a national company with several branches in my state. There were no job postings on the website, so I emailed them my resume. I got a response this morning and they want to meet with me to discuss possibilities on Thursday! Woohoo! From what I've heard, this is a good place to work. And it certainly has a better reputation than the place I work now. I'm excited.

My boss is currently talking about laying people off due to lack of business. Now please remember, he hired his ex mistress's daughter to work here last month, even though we didn't need her- all because he's trying to get a guy he doesn't like to quit. So now he's threatening layoffs. Guess who will more than likely be the person to go? Not the new girl. It will be the guy he doesn't like. Boss's ex mistress works here and has forbidden him from getting rid of her daughter or else she will expose the affair. This place is insane.

WHAT!?
    Uh yeah, the fuck? 
  • @charlotte989875  Names are hard. I saw a meme somewhere that said "you don't realize how many people you hate until you have to name your child" lol!
    Are you going to make the invites girlie? :)
  • edited January 2017

So many, many, many, many good vibes sending your way, @thefanciestbeckler.  You cannot get out of there fast enough.  Though I'll selfishly miss the crazy stories.

And that is awesome sending a blind resume worked for at least a meet up!  You always hear that job seeking advice, but I've always been skeptical about it.  Glad to hear it worked for you. 

@short+sassy Thanks girl! I'll continue sharing my crazy stories as long as I have them :) and I probably still have some I haven't told yet that I can use after I find a new job. Lol

@MissKittyDanger yes! She even tried to get him to leave his wife for her. When he refused to do that, she started dating someone immediately and married him within 2 months as payback. This just happened about a year ago. Everyone in the operations building knows about it but tries to stay out of it. Now she uses it as ammo to get what she wants, and he totally falls for it because he doesn't want the owner to find out. It's insane. Edited to add - ex mistress's current husband works here too.

• DSC, I quit at the third terism/tourism/terrorism post.  Poor guy.  Sounds like it could be dementia.

That was my thought, as well.  When my grandpa was in the nursing home, whenever we visited he was always mad that the nurses were running some sort of drug smuggling operation and no one ever did anything to stop them.  I really hope I keep all of my faculties 'til the end.

@Heffalump my mom has creepy friends too.  Admittedly her generation of Deaf people struggle with boundaries and social norms because, 1.  the culture is different and 2.  that generation for the most part was raised by parents who felt guilty for having kids with a handicap and as a result never punished their kids.  But still.  My sister's god mom shares everyone's posts all of the time so she limits what she can see, and due to the difference in culture they have no problems pointing out thing hearing people would likely never say:

Where is your son, still on drugs or back in treatment?  I pray he is ok.
    Is your daughter pregnant again?
    Ooh, Kim's H is going bald.

That is SO interesting that you mentioned that.  One of Wooz's good friends in the neighborhood has Deaf parents, and after his last birthday party, we got a TY card that said "Thank you for the Star Wars Legos, even though he already has that set."  Which, you know, I included a gift receipt just in case, and it didn't bother me.  (It's also why I love giving Legos--even if you have that particular set, you can always use more Legos.  Or exchange them.)  But I thought "That's an...odd thing to mention in a thank you note."  Now it totally makes sense. 

• @thefanciestbeckler I'm onto you.... you really live in a town called Salem, and the boss who is blackmailing you is Tony Dimera.

Every time I think your work situation can't get more nuts, it does.  What happened to the former colleague who opened his own firm?
  • @thefanciestbeckler  omg .... your work is a soap opera! So much drama lmao
    Revenge marriage ... because that always works lol
  • @Heffalump is that the same couple with the Deaf daughter?  I haven't asked how the ASL was going in a while.

Yes culturally, they're very, very blunt.  My mom would point out when I received duplicates at the shower and say "what to do?"  Ummm, return one.  Most people believe it's because they speak with a visual language so while pointing out weight gain in a hearing culture is taboo, it's normal in a visual culture.  Most words are based on a visual cue, and some were recently changed because in hearing culture terms they were considered racist.
  • @kimmiinthemitten Lol you are cracking me up!! The longer I work here the more it seems like an episode of Days for sure! Former colleague never got back to me. I even followed up a couple of times. Something could still happen there, too, but I don't think he has any immediate openings right now. We'll see. I'm just putting as many feelers out as I possibly can!

• A few more things to add:

My hotel was sold at the end of December and I was very bearish on the new owners.  So far things seem fine, which is pretty great.  We just found out who our new general manager is going to be, and he starts on Monday.  He seems like kind of a nutter.  His LinkedIn says he is on a "digital detox" until March of 2017.  He has been a general manager before, but he hasn't worked in the hotel industry in a decade.  He also looks kind of like Richard Gere.  I expect some interesting stories, if nothing else.

I realize that my previous post sounded a bit more gripe-y than happy about my trip.  I think that comes from not wanting to be a flashy, braggy, dick.  It really was wonderful, even if not every moment was the pinnacle of perfection. Which is worse--being a braggy dick or being someone who complains about something awesome?  Sometimes words are hard.

The weather here is horrendous.  One of my coworkers spent a cumulative total of 4.5 hours commuting home last night and in to work this morning.  For the millionth time, I am so glad I live close to work! 
  • @MissKittyDanger right?!?!?! I feel bad too because her husband is a super nice guy. Needless to say, I don't think they're too happy now that they've settled into real life.

• @thefanciestbeckler  poor guy :( did he know the back story on her when they got together or was he blind-sighted?
  • @MissKittyDanger I'm not totally sure. I don't think he knew at first, but from what I've gathered she did tell him before they got married.

• Man, my Nextdoor is just filled with lost pets, racists, and people who get way too irrationally angry when there are illegal fireworks. 

Today is errand and cleaning day if I can ever motivate myself to move. I need to run errands before it becomes too late. 

• @charlotte989875  Names are hard. I saw a meme somewhere that said "you don't realize how many people you hate until you have to name your child" lol!
    Are you going to make the invites girlie? :)
    Haha I'll tell her that, she'll appreciate it. 

No onthe girlie; she's not super girlie (and she's also major feminist like me, and she's not buying anything pink because she says everyone else will and she doesn't want her kid to only wear pink). So the invites have elephants on them. 

• @kimmiinthemitten I'm kind of thinking that too, but he also just joined so I don't know if his ramblings are out of the ordinary or not. He has no neighbors close by that would know him either. He's in an odd area on a main street and the house next door is actually a business, then there's a retirement village behind him and a fire station on the other side. 
  • @charlotte989875 that's so cute! Also I get where your sister is coming from, girlie doesn't always mean pink. I think you made a good choice for the elephants though :) Is that the theme?
  • @charlotte989875 that's so cute! Also I get where your sister is coming from, girlie doesn't always mean pink. I think you made a good choice for the elephants though :) Is that the theme?
    Yes, it's their nursery theme. Gray walls with white mounding and crib, lots of elephants. 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2017
    @Heffalump is that the same couple with the Deaf daughter?  I haven't asked how the ASL was going in a while.

Yes culturally, they're very, very blunt.  My mom would point out when I received duplicates at the shower and say "what to do?"  Ummm, return one.  Most people believe it's because they speak with a visual language so while pointing out weight gain in a hearing culture is taboo, it's normal in a visual culture.  Most words are based on a visual cue, and some were recently changed because in hearing culture terms they were considered racist.

Same kid.  He and Wooz are usually busy with Legos and DS kind of lost interest in signing (they don't promote it nearly as much in his current classroom, ditto for Spanish), so I let it go.  DS still worships the kid, though.  He'll be like "Hi Max!  Hi, Max.  Max, do you want to see my cars?  Max?"
  • edited January 2017
    Sending good interview vibes for @thefanciestbeckler, healing vibes for @banana468, and good weather vibes for everyone!

Welcome back, @SaintPaulGal

Have a great trip, @charlotte989875!

FW is going on a road trip to Dayton with her BFF for the next three days. She'll be back late Thursday or early Friday. They're going to see the Air Force Museum (BFF is an Air Force veteran), but they haven't decided what else to see.
  • @OurWildKingdom if they like an artsy community Yellow Springs is a fun place to spend the day.
  • 6fsn said:
    @OurWildKingdom if they like an artsy community Yellow Springs is a fun place to spend the day.
    Thanks, I recommended that!  :)