Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How should I ask for those who haven't RSVP'd?

I didn't think this would an issue I would have but I have a bunch of people that didn't RSVP, and it's past our RSVP date.

One response I got when I asked was, we don't know yet because money is tight. I said, okay cool, just let me know very soon. I felt bad asking though.

This is very awkward to go around asking for RSVPS. What's the best way to handle it? 

Re: How should I ask for those who haven't RSVP'd?

• Options
    It is awkward and irritating but it has to be done. If other guests aren't able to confirm during your phone call (or if you're leaving a message) say you need their response by X-date, with "X" being a day or two before you need to provide your absolute final hard numbers to the caterer/venue. Giving a vague timeline like "very soon" just means more follow-up work for you.

Note that your RSVP date shouldn't have been more than a couple of weeks before your wedding. If you set yours too early, you should wait a while before starting to call on people.
  • Options
    It's actually not that awkward once you've made a few calls. Just reach out, 9 times out of a 10 it was an honest mistake. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Call them. I'd just say, "Hi, this is Knottie. I'm calling to find out whether you (and SO (and your kids)) will be attending our wedding. We haven't yet heard this from you and our venue needs a final headcount now."
  • Options
    It's not fun, but it has to be done.  We've seen brides on here where either the invitation never reached the guest, or the response card went astray on its way back to you.  (We actually got two response cards after the wedding, looking pretty mangled and sad.)  So there may be some awkwardness, but look at it this way: in the case of lost mail, you are righting something that went wrong.
  • Options
    We got some RSVPs in the mail a month (or more) after our wedding, even though they were posted by the RSVP deadline. We lived in an area Mail was irregular, at best. I called people up, they told me they had sent it but told me their meal choices, no harm no foul. People generally were glad we were following up rather than assumed they weren't coming. 
  • Options
    'Hi John, We are just wrapping up some things for the wedding. Do you think Susan and you will be able to join us?'

If they don't give you a yes or no answer right there (ie money is tight so they don't know, they don't know their work schedule etc etc) just say

'Of course, I understand. Our hard deadline is Friday the X so if you can just let me know before then or else I can mark you down as a no. I hope you'll be able to join us. Give my best to Susan.'

Basically you need to let them know that if they don't give you a yes by X date, they are a no. 
    Exactly this.  No need to feel awkward about it.  It's a matter-of-fact request for information.  
  • Options
    H and I had to contact 75% of our guests. It wasn't a big deal. 
  • Options
    I didn't think this would an issue I would have but I have a bunch of people that didn't RSVP, and it's past our RSVP date.

One response I got when I asked was, we don't know yet because money is tight. I said, okay cool, just let me know very soon. I felt bad asking though.

This is very awkward to go around asking for RSVPS. What's the best way to handle it? 
    This sounds like an odd response, since if you're calling people to get RSVPs I'd assume the wedding is about 3 weeks away at most. 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

This sounds like an odd response, since if you're calling people to get RSVPs I'd assume the wedding is about 3 weeks away at most. 
    I feel like that response is just because they don't know how to really just say no.
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

Actually this happened for DD's wedding. A close cousin didn't know until the week before the wedding if he would be able to travel and afford a hotel. I understood the circumstances and told him we would have a place for him and his GF if they were able to make it. He called that week and was very happy they could come - as were we.
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

Actually this happened for DD's wedding. A close cousin didn't know until the week before the wedding if he would be able to travel and afford a hotel. I understood the circumstances and told him we would have a place for him and his GF if they were able to make it. He called that week and was very happy they could come - as were we.
    I had something similar as well, my cousin didn't know if he was going to be back in time for the wedding since he is in the service and it was cutting it close. I had a spot for him and his wife, they ended up not being able to make it, but didn't know that until the day before. 
  • Options
    We had to do this for about half of our guest list, and like PPs, it wasn't all that awkward after the first few calls. We had one or two who said they didn't know yet, so I just rounded the numbers up to make sure we had enough of everything for them. Not ideal, but I decided I would rather be over-prepared.