Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

This week is going.  Art tonight.  I think while Wooz is there, DS and I will run to Penzey's--I'm out of cumin (unacceptable during chili season!) and a few others.  Plus DS loves Penzey's--he likes to smell everything.  Plus-plus, Penzey's People, if you haven't seen, there is a post on FB and if you show it, you get a free Mexican vanilla.  Excellent timing, since we have some baking coming up here.  Spanish rice is in the crock pot--new recipe, so fingers crossed. 

My mom goes for her follow-up with the surgeon Thursday afternoon, so fingers crossed for a clean pathology report!

Friday, Wooz's school is having Career Day, in which they dress up as what they want to be when they grow up.  As of today, Wooz is going as a marine biologist.  But who knows by Friday morning. ;)

Re: Tuesday!

• Yesterday H and I spent the afternoon looking at prices to redo our bathroom, kitchen, and add a second bathroom. Now I'm depressed that we'll never have any money, or an updated house. 

The big thing for us is the upstairs bathroom. It has a 100-year old claw foot tub (which I love), but the halo shower curtains and exterior shower (that H loathes). I worry ripping out the old tub will make the house lose some of its charm, but the set up now is unsustainable (the water pressure sucks, there isn't much room in there without touching curtains) and we're having a hard time finding ways to update it that isn't $5,000 just for a shower (out of budget). So it's time for much more research. 

Good news is we can probably install the kitchen cabinets and lay new flooring ourselves. 
  • @Heffalump  that sounds like a place my MIL needs to visit!

@charlotte989875 damn that's pricey! :( I'm jealous of your claw foot tub though

Didn't do much last night. I was reeling in the fact I clearly over did it this weekend, so my stomach puffed up and hurt.
    I took a photo and showed my mum the puff, stating I'd look pretty adorable pregnant lmfao!

M had/has headache {could be sinus} last night also, so we were both pretty useless. Tonight M is going to sweep the basement {I hope ....} and I'm planning on either cleaning kitchen or table. Not both. I need to make sure I take it relatively easy.

Btw has anyone heard "Make Me Cry" by Noah Cyrus ft Labrynth? I'm kinda loving it!
    {also I love "Million Reasons" by Lady Gaga and "This Town" by Niall Horan!}
  • Things I could say to a toddler that I say to my cat:
    "Penny, stop playing in the dust pan."
  • @MissKittyDanger, my feelings exactly. The claw foot is great, and I hope we can salvage it, but the shower situation sucks and it's our only bathroom right now. We're putting in a second but it will either be basement (finished) or first floor (super tiny). Old houses are cool, but come with a lot of upgrading restrictions. 

Also, it's not going to be our "forever home" so we need to do some updating, but this isn't going to be the "get everything we want" type of renovation. 
  • @charlotte989875  after the renos, could it be a 'forever home' ?
  • Good morning.

We had a busy weekend.  All 3 kids had an activity on Saturday (the girls each had a basketball game and son had baseball camp).  Of course the times are spread out just a bit so that they don't overlap, but they don't allow for much downtime at home either.  And they're all at different locations.

Very early Sunday morning my grandma passed away.  It was not unexpected, as she had been declining for most of last year and then rapidly since TG.  I spent the day helping my mom and aunt clean grandma's house, as it will probably be the central location for people to gather and it hadn't been properly cleaned in a long time.

Yesterday I had to run payroll and then I called to check on my mom.  She was at my sister's house loving on the twins, who got to come home Saturday afternoon.  They're still on the heart monitors because they have to take caffeine to stimulate their hearts and keep their heart rates up but they have had no issues with any of it.  They're both eating great and gained weight from their discharge Saturday to their pediatrician appointment yesterday.

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2017
    DefConn has 100 days of school tomorrow.  True to form, I am down to the last minute and will have to run out tonight and hope I can find suspenders and cheap glasses where I can pop out the lenses so he can be an old man.  I also need to rustle up 25 hot wheels (100 wheels) for his 100 things.  

The kiddo is being extra teenager-y lately.  ((sigh)) 

DH wants to know what I want for my bday.  I have no idea.  I think I'm just going to press him to get me a Vivofit.  I want some stuff from Sephora, but I'll ask my mom and sisters for that stuff.  

Speaking of Sephora, two product raves:

It works amazingly well.  My eye make-up does.not.move all day.  I got a sample and was pissed when I ran out.  I bought a tube last week.  You only need a teensy bit and I don't wear make-up all that often, so it should last me awhile. 

Image result for living proof prime style extender
    This style extender.  I have straight-ish (gets wavy underneath) hair and if I use this and blow dry, my hair will look good for 2 days.   And if I curl my hair on day 2, it holds like crazy.  My hair is soft and can look pretty limp on the second day.  So this stuff is amazing. 
  • Things I could say to a toddler that I say to my cat:

"Izzy (my dog), what's in your mouth?  What's in your mouth?!?!" (As I'm trying to open her mouth and see what she is chewing on, that I'm sure she isn't supposed to be)

@Heffalump, if Wooz stays with marine biologist, she should bring a stuffed fish or whale as a prop.

@charlotte989875, if your kitchen cabinets are structurally in good shape, repainting or re-staining will make them look brand new.  But you'll only save money if you all DIY it.  It is really labor intensive.  My poor H can attest to that.  I wish I had advice about new showers/tubs.  Ugh, I don't.  There just aren't any low cost solutions that I know of.

Some quick band aids: Is there possibly something a plumber could do about the bad water pressure in the upstairs bathroom?, New hardware on the kitchen cabinets will often really spruce up a kitchen on the cheap, DIY'ed new flooring can also be relatively cheap to do (depending on material choice) and makes a big impact. 

@MissKittyDanger, I hope you and M are feeling better soon!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23  I always switch between Too Faced shadow insurance and Urban Decay primer potion. When you're done that one, get a sample of Urban Decay, I think you'd like :)

@short+sassy  oh yeh, we do that also. I have to keep an eye on Angel because he is the one who normally gets sick from eating things {Penny eats bugs though ...}
    Some pets = toddlers lmao
  • the Mr.

was up all night, because he's sick. I'm sick, so I was up all night too, and he didn't help.
    When the alarm went off this morning, he asked if I could do the morning thing, because he had to work, I could go back to bed. I said sure. He went and woke up the kiddo, and I asked him to check about snowdays...
    He said nothing from the school, and I got her up and got her completely ready for school when I saw a mention on FB about a snow day...
    Nothing form the school, but apparently, we're closed today.

The thing is, there was an alert on HIS phone (not mine, because mine is the primary phone, his is the primary email, that way we both got alerts quickly), via email (no idea why the hell they didn't call like normal) but I couldn't get into it because he has te stupid fingerprint password and didn't actually look beyond glancing at texts.

So I used up all of my energy dragging a reluctant kid out of bed...and now I'm sitting zombifiedon the couch where I get to spend the day while this wide awake kid tries to drag my sick ass awake and into the world. 
     And he's asleep. I'm feeling like waking him up for shits and giggles and vindictiveness.

• @mrsconn23  I always switch between Too Faced shadow insurance and Urban Decay primer potion. When you're done that one, get a sample of Urban Decay, I think you'd like :)

@short+sassy  oh yeh, we do that also. I have to keep an eye on Angel because he is the one who normally gets sick from eating things {Penny eats bugs though ...}
    Some pets = toddlers lmao
    That's what I like about dogs and cats.  They're cute, adorable, perpetual toddlers...but you don't get arrested if you leave them home alone, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The cats are adorable @6fsn.  

And congrats on the work stuff!!  That's awesome!  Beyond time to shove it in SIL's bitch face. 
  • Said to Mouse last week, "NO!!! Don't put that cricket in your mouth!" Then, later, "NO!! We don't put dead crickets in our mouth either!"

So yesterday Mouse's daycare was closed and MIL babysat. That's the last time she'll watch him for a whole day. I'm not entirely sure at this point how my H managed to make it out of infancy. Mouse is 11 months old and she gave him 1 bottle all day long and only changed his diaper twice...in 9 hours. Which, considering he was dehydrated from lack of liquids, didn't really need more than that. 

My salesman and my parts guy are out sick this morning. One is running a fever. It kind of makes me wonder if maybe I didn't have the flu or strep last week, but it had resolved by the time I went to the doctor. Hopefully, they keep they're sick selves home.

I have an ultrasound tomorrow to see how baby girl is growing and to make sure she's flipped. If she has flipped this will be the first time we'll really be able to see her face.
    I have said this to both Angel and Penny. Angel almost ate a black jacket once and I have never ran to tackle a cat so fast in my life!

Good lord ... I think your MIL forgot how kids are :\
  • I have said this to both Angel and Penny. Angel almost ate a black jacket once and I have never ran to tackle a cat so fast in my life!

Good lord ... I think your MIL forgot how kids are :\
    She was never a good infant mom. She's better with toddlers and older, not that we're going to test that theory with MY children. I didn't say anything to H other than "he only had one bottle" because I will not bad mouth his mother to him, but if he suggests again that she watch the kids, I'll explain then that his mother could have seriously harmed our son by not giving him fluids.
  • @charlotte989875  after the renos, could it be a 'forever home' ?
    No, H wants more land and the house is in the city. Eventually (if we have a kid) it will be too small for us. short+sassy said:
    Things I could say to a toddler that I say to my cat:

"Izzy (my dog), what's in your mouth?  What's in your mouth?!?!" (As I'm trying to open her mouth and see what she is chewing on, that I'm sure she isn't supposed to be)

@Heffalump, if Wooz stays with marine biologist, she should bring a stuffed fish or whale as a prop.

@charlotte989875, if your kitchen cabinets are structurally in good shape, repainting or re-staining will make them look brand new.  But you'll only save money if you all DIY it.  It is really labor intensive.  My poor H can attest to that.  I wish I had advice about new showers/tubs.  Ugh, I don't.  There just aren't any low cost solutions that I know of.

Some quick band aids: Is there possibly something a plumber could do about the bad water pressure in the upstairs bathroom?, New hardware on the kitchen cabinets will often really spruce up a kitchen on the cheap, DIY'ed new flooring can also be relatively cheap to do (depending on material choice) and makes a big impact. 

@MissKittyDanger, I hope you and M are feeling better soon!

We actually repainted them (and put on new hardware) initially, but they're pretty poor quality cabinets and only on one side of the kitchen so there is a real lack of counter space. We have a long, narrow kitchen with a pantry, so we want to replace the ones we have and add a whole row on the opposite side. 

We're having a plumber come out and take a look at the water pressure this week and tell us if/where a second bathroom is possible. 

Were both pretty handy so we plan to do the cabinets & kitchen flooring ourselves, but probably not until the summer when I'm not teaching. Hoping to be able to do something with the bathroom over spring break. I think our next stop is reading some old home reno blogs and there is a custom bath store nearby where we hope they can tell us if there is a possibility of saving the tub/updating the shower. 
  • tawillers - sorry for your grandma's passing.  thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

After reading through Monday:

Lynda - glad they have figured out what is wrong with your mom and she is on the mend very quickly!

Heffa - Good news and healthy vibes for your mom!  I also feel similarly to you on TP's inauguration.  Still dumbfounded over his tweets to John Lewis.  The man WAS ALL ACTION during the civil rights movement.  TP is such a POS.

I had off yesterday, so it was a 3 day weekend and now I work 3 days then have a 5 day weekend for our Babymoon to Charleston.  Right now, it supposed to rain everyday :(

I also just scored some U2 tickets for me and my BFF!  Of course the show falls on what will be H's first father's day.  So I had some feels about that when the show was first announced.  But after talking to him, he said to just go, we will do something earlier in the day.  I was joking with my BFF that we can bring our Hs and kids to tailgate for the day and then leave them all in the parking lot while we go inside!  Our Hs don't like u2, otherwise, we would make it a family outing.

Saturday I got to my yoga class with my regular instructor who I haven't seen in a few weeks, she was amazed at how much my bump had popped!  I wasn't even wearing a tight shirt, so it was hard to see.  That class made me feel amazing too!

Then went home and H & I laid down the first of the tile in the bathroom.  First we debated the pros and cons of where to start and how to start.  Our walls aren't square and there are some weird cutout areas.  But using my math skillz we figured out the best area to start and it was nearly in the center of the room, so that was a huge plus!  It actually started and went pretty smoothly.

Sunday H laid down more tile, this time doing cut ones.  That too went pretty good!  It was a little trial and error, but that is why we purchased almost a whole extra box instead of a few extra tiles.  I took my niece to Macys to try and exchange her pants from Christmas.  But they were taking exchanges since the store is going out of business.  And I would have paid double if I just bought the new pants compared to the black Friday price I paid.

Yesterday, H and I de-Christmas'd the house.  It actually didn't take long and our beautiful tree held onto most of its needles, even as we forced it through the short hallway to the garage and out to the curb.  It was a great tree and really held onto its needles well, even when it stopped absorbing water!  Can only hope to have one as good next year!

Tonight is more yoga.  H said he will try to do more tile, but only cut tiles are left.  So I think a lot will depend on how crazy his work is today.

• I'm sorry about your grandma, @tawillers

But YAY for the babies being home and doing well.  :D  That's so great! 
  • @tawillers  sorry to hear about your grandma :( but yay for baby lovin :) sounds like they're doing great!
  • @tawillers I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Hugs for you. 
    And hooray for the twins being home!!!

@Heffalump I want to be a Penzey's person so bad! But there is only one location in MA - and it's 25 miles away, on the other side of the Charles from my house. Which, if you are familiar with Boston, it takes a LOT for us to cross the Charles. 25 miles could mean a 2-hour drive. Arrrghhhh. 

@mrsconn23 thank you so much for the Living Proof style extender recommendation! I was in need of a new product like this since the previous one I used, Framesi Wio Straight Balm, changed the formula and has sucked ever since. I am going to order that from the Sephora app at lunch today!

Today I am prepping for tomorrow's deadline. At least the day will go by fast! I am excited for dinner because I made arancini on Sunday and the leftovers are calling my name for dinner tonight :yum:

• @tawillers I'm sorry for your lost
  • banana468 said:
    Last night DH and I *thought* we were going to bed early only to hear Chiquita moaning in her sleep and complaining of ear pain.   We gave ibuprofen, looked in with a flashlight and didn't see anything and she slept the rest of the night - but Chiquito got me two times in the middle of the night.   I love you coffee.

Today Chiquita still complained of ear and throat pain - we'll evaluate as the day goes since there's no fever but after a friend's daughter had strep that turned into rheumatic fever, I don't fuck with it.    If it means a 7 PM after care appointment tonight then that's what we're doing.

I found a recipe for no peek chicken.   It's made with canned soups and lipton Onion soup and is loaded with sodium but looks so easy and tasty.   If DH grabs the salt shaker this time I'll scream.

My adorable toddler is in the hit mom phase.   DH is a bit of a turd about it saying, "Well I don't know what to tell you since he's not doing it to me."  Dooood.   You need to back me up when you see it so he knows it's bullshit.   That's what you do.

I found a sweater in the back of my drawer that I haven't worn since last winter.   It's fuzzy and I feel cute. 
    "Don't hit mom!" Hoo-wee that was hard to say!
  • @banana468 I pretty much go straight to the doc when one of mine complains of ear pain at night.  I've never been wrong.
  • @tawillers sorry about your gram, but that is great news about the twins.  Hopefully them being home can bring some joy in a hard time.

I'm home still, I'm guessing I'll go back Thursday at this rate.  I'm coughing less frequently, but it's still violent when I do.  Hubs is home too, he had a two hour delay turned into a snow (fog) day.  Our backyard is flooded from the thunderstorms that rolled through this morning.  Yes, thunderstorms, in Michigan, in January.  Tell me climate change isn't real.  

Since I slept until 11 (after waking with H for a couple hours this  morning) I'm hoping to be awake enough to kill some work, I'm so behind now.  I did make 5 phone calls this morning to encourage Republican Senators to vote no for DeVos.  I went to each of their pages and used their own education talking points to make mine.  Who knows if it will work or not, but it's worth a shot.  She's a disaster for education.

On the plus side our washer is fixed!  We knocked out 3 loads yesterday and probably have 8 to go.  I wish I was exaggerating.  And that's for 2 of us; we should probably do some cleaning and get rid of what we don't need.  But if it's dirty, we've used it.  What to do, what to do.

• banana468 said:
    Last night DH and I *thought* we were going to bed early only to hear Chiquita moaning in her sleep and complaining of ear pain.   We gave ibuprofen, looked in with a flashlight and didn't see anything and she slept the rest of the night - but Chiquito got me two times in the middle of the night.   I love you coffee.

Today Chiquita still complained of ear and throat pain - we'll evaluate as the day goes since there's no fever but after a friend's daughter had strep that turned into rheumatic fever, I don't fuck with it.    If it means a 7 PM after care appointment tonight then that's what we're doing.

I found a recipe for no peek chicken.   It's made with canned soups and lipton Onion soup and is loaded with sodium but looks so easy and tasty.   If DH grabs the salt shaker this time I'll scream.

My adorable toddler is in the hit mom phase.   DH is a bit of a turd about it saying, "Well I don't know what to tell you since he's not doing it to me."  Dooood.   You need to back me up when you see it so he knows it's bullshit.   That's what you do.

I found a sweater in the back of my drawer that I haven't worn since last winter.   It's fuzzy and I feel cute. 
    "Don't hit mom!" Hoo-wee that was hard to say!
    Oh, when he's called in he totally does.   It's a hard spot for him - little guy just DOES NOT hit his dad.   So it is hard for him to get involved when he's not there to see it.

I'm often the one to sit near the high chair and do more dinner tasks.   I may see what happens if DH takes over. 
  • banana468 said:
    Oh, when he's called in he totally does.   It's a hard spot for him - little guy just DOES NOT hit his dad.   So it is hard for him to get involved when he's not there to see it.

I'm often the one to sit near the high chair and do more dinner tasks.   I may see what happens if DH takes over. 
    Mouse is the same way. He pulls my hair, slaps me, and has even bitten me so hard he bruised me, but he doesn't do any of that to H.
  • @tawillers sorry about your gram, but that is great news about the twins.  Hopefully them being home can bring some joy in a hard time.

I'm home still, I'm guessing I'll go back Thursday at this rate.  I'm coughing less frequently, but it's still violent when I do.  Hubs is home too, he had a two hour delay turned into a snow (fog) day.  Our backyard is flooded from the thunderstorms that rolled through this morning.  Yes, thunderstorms, in Michigan, in January.  Tell me climate change isn't real.  

Same thing in Toledo. And it was 55 degrees on my drive to work today. Sure there's nothing wrong with this. 
  • He just called the Senator from Wyoming and the on hold music is some old school patriotic song so he marched up and down the hallway until it was done.  Ha!

@charlotte989875  I think it's 45 here!  It looks like friggin April.