Wedding Woes
Options

My diagnosis? Four men in the world.

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been dating someone who lives a few hours away from me for about nine months. He’s intelligent, kind, funny, generous, and a little socially awkward (which is great because I am, too). A few months into our relationship, I began to suspect that he might fall somewhere on the autism spectrum. I have not discussed this with him because I care about him and don’t want him to feel like I think there is something “wrong” with him. He does not show attraction or love the way that I’m used to, and I’m struggling with the lack of emotional reciprocity. I don’t know if he actually enjoys my company, except he keeps coming around—he doesn’t compliment me, flirt with me, or tell me that he loves me. He doesn’t respond or even acknowledge those things when I do them. If I try to communicate my needs, he accuses me of playing games or “fishing.” I recently mentioned this dynamic was hard for me, and he said he would try to be more supportive, but nothing’s changed and he hasn’t mentioned it since.

Recently he mentioned wanting to live together, which left me feeling blindsided and guilty. If his behavior was coming from someone I didn’t think might have ASD, I would label them a jerk and move on. Do I tell him that I think he might be on the spectrum so we can work on specifically targeting those communication problems? Am I wrong for wanting a partner who occasionally tells me I look nice and says “I love you too”? Could he just be a jerk?

—Missing Emotional Reciprocation

Re: My diagnosis? Four men in the world.

• Options
  • Options

The LW should take his asking her to move in with him as a good opening for this discussion.

She needs to outline what she needs in the relationship, though not in an accusatory "you are wrong" way.  He's not going to be perfect in changing and she needs to understand that.  BUT, he has to understand what she is asking for and be WILLING to work on it.  I'm not sure he is, because she talks about that he either becomes accusatory or says he will change and does nothing.

If its the latter, she needs to cut bait and run.  He's just not the right guy for her.  Or accept that is how things will be, but that includes not driving herself nuts all the time wondering if he cares about her.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Recently he mentioned wanting to live together, which left me feeling blindsided and guilty. If his behavior was coming from someone I didn’t think might have ASD, I would label them a jerk and move on.

WTF does this even mean???  So LWs BF wants to move in together after 9 months of dating and LW thinks that he is a jerk (except she doesn't because she arm-chair diagnosed him with Autism)?

I agree that people have their own love languages, and that is what it sounds like is going on here...that they aren't speaking the same love language.  To me it sounds like LW is the type that likes constant re-assurance, while the BF is more of a actions speak louder type.  I dunno but I don't think these two are on the same page at all.  Time for a real conversation or a break-up.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Recently he mentioned wanting to live together, which left me feeling blindsided and guilty. If his behavior was coming from someone I didn’t think might have ASD, I would label them a jerk and move on.

WTF does this even mean???  So LWs BF wants to move in together after 9 months of dating and LW thinks that he is a jerk (except she doesn't because she arm-chair diagnosed him with Autism)?

I agree that people have their own love languages, and that is what it sounds like is going on here...that they aren't speaking the same love language.  To me it sounds like LW is the type that likes constant re-assurance, while the BF is more of a actions speak louder type.  I dunno but I don't think these two are on the same page at all.  Time for a real conversation or a break-up.

I meant to mention this!  That was super weird.  She starts the letter talking about how great he is, but then ends it with "he's a jerk"...ooohhh, except he MIGHT have ASD.  So that would make his being a jerk okay?  Maybe it could give a person more understanding, but it doesn't make an intolerable relationship fine.  Especially considering he's never been diagnosed and this is just her totally uninformed and unqualified opinion.

From my own personal experience, I was in a long term relationship with two men who both suffered from depression.  After the fact, I decided that was not something I could work with and I would avoid it in the future.  One of them was diagnosed.  The other one was, admittedly, my guess.  It really didn't matter.  He was miserable and unhappy.  All the time.  For no apparent reason.  After him, I made a promise to myself I was going to keep an eye out for those signs.

An interesting fact I discovered about myself.  I was drawn to that personality type.  It wasn't the only personality type I was drawn to (thank goodness), but it was one of them.  However, being conscious of that was empowering.  I knew what I didn't want and saved myself a lot of grief by recognizing the patterns early on in the dating process.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker