Wedding Woes

Therapy is not a cure-all?

Dear Prudence, 
I read your column often and I notice that a frequent piece of advice you give is to see a therapist. A year ago, I was struggling with anxiety and depression and decided to see a therapist on a regular basis. At first, I enjoyed seeing her and felt like I was making progress. Now it no longer feels helpful. I keep going because I think it’s the right thing to do, but I often feel frustrated or bored during the sessions. It has the same sensation of a romantic relationship that has run its course, but the two people are holding on regardless. That being said, I know things take time. Maybe I should not be expecting to “make progress” as a result of therapy. My therapist is not bad or manipulative in any way. I’m just not getting much out of it. I’ve been feeling this way for about four months now. What is it that I should expect out of therapy? Is it time to try and find a new therapist? Do people do that?

—All Talked Out

Re: Therapy is not a cure-all?

• Talk. To. Your. Actual. Doctor.

Therapy is suppose to be a help, not the cure. Also therapy isn't for everyone.
  • How about talk to your therapist about these feelings? They can help you decide if changing the course of therapy, changing therapists, or seeing a different type of Doctor is right for you. 

They can't know it isn't work for you anymore if you don't tell them. 
  • Talk. To. Your. Actual. Doctor.

Therapy is suppose to be a help, not the cure. Also therapy isn't for everyone.

So much this.  Therapy is supposed to be a tool.  Just one of the many tools you will need in life to deal with situations. 
  • That's called a "Shi**y therapist" - LW needs to find a new one that actually knows what they're doing to help the client achieve their goal/objective for therapy...  JS...