Attire & Accessories Forum

New wedding dress?

Hi ladies, I bought a wedding dress almost 3 years ago when my fiance and I were first engaged. My feelings have changed about it, I still feel a sentiment towards it but it's not me, now. Problem is I  don't know if it's a good decision as I'm not working with a big budget. I'm unsure if I should just alter and customize the dress or buy the one of my dreams. Please help. 

Re: New wedding dress?

• Ultimately, it's up to you.

You can try to sell the original dress, but it's not always easy and you may not get anywhere near the money you hoped for it. I've tried to sell my wedding dress twice, for a very reasonable price, and I only had one person contact me to try it on- unfortunately it did not fit her :(.

Do you have the budget to buy another dress? I would not cut money on items that affect your guests' comfort (food, drink, seating) in favour of buying a new dress.

You should absolutely feel good in the dress. If you don't feel good in it, you will feel uncomfortable all day and it will show in your pictures. As long as that is true, personally I think a dress is a dress. I did not wear the dress I had bought on my wedding day. Long story short, we got married in my hometown, I shipped the dress home and it arrived 3 weeks after my wedding day. I ended up wearing the dress my now step-mother's step-daughter wore on her wedding day. It was very generous of her, and I was lucky it fit me near perfect so I didn't have to do alterations (it was a tad long, but it worked). It looked good on me, I felt comfortable and got lots of compliments- even from one of my friends who went dress shopping with me and didn't realize it wasn't the same dress! I did end up getting some additional photos taken in the original dress I purchased, but at the end of the day, I was married and looked good doing it. It has definitely changed my perspective, so I'll be honest that I don't really *get it* when people get emotionally hung up on a wedding dress.

If there are specific things you don't like about your current dress, I would go see a good tailor and ask if what you don't like could be altered with things removed or added. Go from there.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Tia&Dre said:
    Hi ladies, I bought a wedding dress almost 3 years ago when my fiance and I were first engaged. My feelings have changed about it, I still feel a sentiment towards it but it's not me, now. Problem is I  don't know if it's a good decision as I'm not working with a big budget. I'm unsure if I should just alter and customize the dress or buy the one of my dreams. Please help. 
    Sell it.  Some other bride will love it.  Then take the money and find a dress that makes you feel wonderful on your wedding day.  There are lots of budget options.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What CMG said ... You'll always ask yourself "What if" if you don't...