Wedding Woes
Options

TGIW

13»

Re: TGIW

• Options
    @ernursej  is the Shingles vaccine worth it in general? I'm thinking my mum should get it because her mother and brother have had shingles a couple times ...
  • Options
    That sounds terrible @ernursej. How long are you stuck at home for?
  • Options
    ernursejernursej member
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    @ernursej  is the Shingles vaccine worth it in general? I'm thinking my mum should get it because her mother and brother have had shingles a couple times ...

The shingles vaccine is designed to prevent shingles in those that haven't yet experienced an episode of shingles. I know of several people (myself included) that have had it after several bouts with shingles but technically it is off label use. The vaccine might prevent shingles from occurring or if it does, will lessen the severity and duration of symptoms. I'm a big believer in vaccines so I thought it was worth it. It was expensive. My drug plan(in Canada) didn't cover it.

48 hours until the meds have kicked in. If it wasn't on my temple and into my hair line, I would have been fine (could cover the area). I'm off until Monday. Good for house cleaning?? Bad for getting work done.
  • Options
    ernursej said:

The shingles vaccine is designed to prevent shingles in those that haven't yet experienced an episode of shingles. I know of several people (myself included) that have had it after several bouts with shingles but technically it is off label use. The vaccine might prevent shingles from occurring or if it does, will lessen the severity and duration of symptoms. I'm a big believer in vaccines so I thought it was worth it. It was expensive. My drug plan(in Canada) didn't cover it.

48 hours until the meds have kicked in. If it wasn't on my temple and into my hair line, I would have been fine (could cover the area). I'm off until Monday. Good for house cleaning?? Bad for getting work done.

Bummer. At least you get to catch up on TV or books? Silver lining?
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 - would be a good plan. I'm trying to think about it as time to do all the stuff on my list that never gets done. At the moment, cleaning out bathroom drawers. Yuck. Will watch some tv later today though! I'm trying to find This Is Us and watch from the beginning as I've heard it is really good.

• Options
    ernursej said:

Sorry to hear that!  One of my coworkers had shingles a few years ago.  She even had a pretty mild case, but was definitely an unhappy camper.

It sounds like the U.S. is similar.  It is covered under health insurance and Medicare, but only after someone is above a certain age.  And it's expensive to pay OOP.

Wedding Countdown Ticker