Chit Chat
Options

Baby Shower Questions

edited January 2017 in Chit Chat
My sister is pregnant, with her first child (baby girl!) due in April and I'm throwing a shower for her in February (her H's side is also throwing one a week earlier). The shower is 1-3pm at a restaurant, so I was thinking some heavy apps, salads, and pasta; does that sound okay for a midday event? Also, we'll have an open bar. 

Bigger question; she's not super into games, but I was thinking of onesie decorating as something else to do, is that enough? Also how do people feel about the need for favors? I'm not a fan, but wondering what everyone else thinks. Thanks!

ETA: miss-typed the party is 1-4pm. 

Re: Baby Shower Questions

• Options
    kaos16 said:
    I also never mind gift bingo.  It can take awhile for gifts to be opened, so that helps pass the time.
    Agreed! And I think pasta, salad, and apps is great. That's a full meal. I'd skip onesie decorating since you only have 2 hours to fill. 
  • Options

Some of the better shower games I've participated in are the more passive ones that don't disrupt the meal or require long amounts of attention.  Something like "How many Jelly Beans" or "What's the Baby Food Flavor" are easy enough to set up as stations and let people play (or not play) at their own time.  Then just announce the winners for each before the mom opens the gifts.  I also really like the idea of the timer while the Mom is opening gifts...assuming you have the right sized guest list.

Food wise, I think you have plenty to choose from.  I think I have only ever kept one favor (a stainless steel spoon rest) following any type of shower/wedding/etc.  Edibles are always awesome (flavor trumps décor!) but not necessary at all.

• Options
    kaos16 said:
    I also never mind gift bingo.  It can take awhile for gifts to be opened, so that helps pass the time.
    Agreed! And I think pasta, salad, and apps is great. That's a full meal. I'd skip onesie decorating since you only have 2 hours to fill. 
    I had a type in the post, shower is 1-4. Does that change your opinion? 

Loving all these suggestions! 
  • Options
    kaos16 said:
    I had a type in the post, shower is 1-4. Does that change your opinion? 

Loving all these suggestions! 
    I think with 3 hours it's not necessary but you'll have time for it if you want! 
  • Options
    The food options sound great! I like gift bingo and/or the timer game. The absolute worst game I ever played was that one where you have to tear a piece of crepe paper the diameter you think the mom-to-be's belly is. Everyone tore these tiny lengths of paper because they didn't want to be rude!

I also don't think favors are necessary if you're playing games with (smallish) prizes, but like weddings, I never complain about taking home cute cookies, chocolates, etc ;) 
  • Options
    The food options sound great! I like gift bingo and/or the timer game. The absolute worst game I ever played was that one where you have to tear a piece of crepe paper the diameter you think the mom-to-be's belly is. Everyone tore these tiny lengths of paper because they didn't want to be rude!

I also don't think favors are necessary if you're playing games with (smallish) prizes, but like weddings, I never complain about taking home cute cookies, chocolates, etc ;) 

The last shower I went to had that game.  I am not a tiny person so I figured, ehh I'll just measure myself...I ended up winning.  So apparently I am as big around as the 7.5 month pregnant mom to be!  Many other did just that and were WAY under in size.  .

They also played this totally awkward "Feeding the Baby" Game where they blindfolded the mom/dad and made them feed their spouse with their non-dominate hand.  Supposedly it was to simulate the midnight feedings...it was just weird and really messy! 

• Options
    The menu sounds great for that time of day. If you're doing salad and pasta, which is meal material, I think you can skip the heavy apps and save your money. 

Skip the favors. 

I'm not super into games or activities either, but at my sister's baby shower, we did a well wishes banner. So we had little triangles of construction paper where everyone could write a note to the new baby. We affixed the triangles to a ribbon like one of those trendy Pinterest banners and it now hangs in my niece's bedroom. It was cute, low-maintenance, and didn't disrupt socializing.
    I love this idea so much.  I'm stealing it if my brother and his FI have kids.

@charlotte989875, your menu sounds perfect and is making me hungry.

They also played this totally awkward "Feeding the Baby" Game where they blindfolded the mom/dad and made them feed their spouse with their non-dominate hand.  Supposedly it was to simulate the midnight feedings...it was just weird and really messy! 

This is so weird to me!  Were they bottle feeding their spouse?  Or like spoon feeding?  Because no one needs to be spoon fed in the middle of the night, although why I'm trying to reason my way through shower games is beyond me.
  • Options
    Onesie decorating is always a hit. You could include some stamps (sponges cut into shapes or you can buy them) and stencils for the less artistic people (like me, lol). 
  • Options
    kaos16 said:
    I was at one particularly terrible baby shower (etiquette clusterfuck, lack of food, "baby college fund" jar, etc.) and I cheated on this game. I had gifted the whole bath ensemble - tub, soap, washcloths, towels, grooming set - and I put all those things on one line so I could get a prize. hahah it was so petty but I couldn't help it. I am awful.

I really don't like this version of the bingo game.  It makes the guest participate and fill in their chart instead of socializing with other guests.  I typically will run the bingo game at showers I help host and I always do it with pre-filled out bingo cards with numbers.  Then as presents arrive, I put 1-2 numbers from a sheet of stickers onto the gift and then call out the number as that gift is opened.  It's much easier and less effort for the guest!
  • Options
    yeah games can be so awkward sometimes.  The last one I was at had 2.  the "guess at how big the stomach is" with rope and some sort of plastic baby that was frozen in a tiny solo cup.  they didn't know the sex of the child, so you picked a pink solo cup or blue solo cup, depending on what you thought it was - and the first person to thaw the water completely won.  Without running hot water or doing something with hot air to it...so basically you had to warm it in your hands....

It was just weird.  Cake was good. 

• Options

This is so weird to me!  Were they bottle feeding their spouse?  Or like spoon feeding?  Because no one needs to be spoon fed in the middle of the night, although why I'm trying to reason my way through shower games is beyond me.
    It was spoon feeding, and yeah...I didn't get it either!  I am not a huge fan of shower games, but I generally try not to side-eye or overthink them either...this shower had like 6 or 7 different games/activities to witness and I just couldn't wait to leave!  They did the feed each other thing, the shoe thing, the guess her belly game, and some other one that I had ducked out on because I was DONE!  The same shower also had the guess the jelly beans type game and the guess the flavor of baby food by looking at unmarked jars when you walked in.  I thought it was a little much :)
  • Options
    I've always like the pin game. Everyone gets 1-3 safety pins and there is a buzzword. If someone catches you saying the buzzword you take one of their pins. At a pre-determined time, you figure out who has the most pins and they get a prize. It encourages conversation (which is the best part of getting together) but isn't time consuming. I might also like this game because I win all the time!
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    I've always like the pin game. Everyone gets 1-3 safety pins and there is a buzzword. If someone catches you saying the buzzword you take one of their pins. At a pre-determined time, you figure out who has the most pins and they get a prize. It encourages conversation (which is the best part of getting together) but isn't time consuming. I might also like this game because I win all the time!
    I lose all the time!
  • Options
    I lose all the time!

Thanks for being one of the people that help me win!
  • Options
    Apps, salad, pasta and the open bar sound perfect for 1-4.  
    As a guest, the less I have to do during an activity the better.  The timer goes off when mommy-to-be is opening my gift and I win a prize > me decorating onesies or headbands.  It's a know your crowd thing though.
    In my circle, Bath & Body Works hand soap or a cookie or chocolate are favors- I like both but a favor isn't necessary.

My best baby shower tip for you as the host: right before your sister opens the gifts, read off the names of those in attendance who sent their gifts directly to her house.  Often times, the big things like crib, stroller, etc. aren't physically at the shower.  It's nice to acknowledge those gift givers just as your sister will hold up the gifts in front of her and call out "thank you Aunt Teresa!".
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    Apps, salad, pasta and the open bar sound perfect for 1-4.  
    As a guest, the less I have to do during an activity the better.  The timer goes off when mommy-to-be is opening my gift and I win a prize > me decorating onesies or headbands.  It's a know your crowd thing though.
    In my circle, Bath & Body Works hand soap or a cookie or chocolate are favors- I like both but a favor isn't necessary.

My best baby shower tip for you as the host: right before your sister opens the gifts, read off the names of those in attendance who sent their gifts directly to her house.  Often times, the big things like crib, stroller, etc. aren't physically at the shower.  It's nice to acknowledge those gift givers just as your sister will hold up the gifts in front of her and call out "thank you Aunt Teresa!".
    Thanks, that's great. I never would have thought of that. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    We had similar game at my bridal shower. We got necklaces and were told you couldn't sit cross-legged or else someone could steal your necklace.
    My H's aunt ended up winning from EVERYONE lmao she was ruthless 
  • Options
    The last baby shower I went to, they had worksheets with prompts printed on them.  Some of it was cute, but some of it was a little weird, and it was basically "a letter to baby when he/she is older."  The prompts were stuff like "I hope you always know____" "I hope you love_______" "Always remember________" etc, basically prompts that could be serious ("Always remember you are loved") or silly ("Always remember your dad once ate a live worm").  If mom-to-be is into scrapbooking, you could leave a couple different prompts cut out in a pile, and guests could write on them for Mom to put in a scrapbook or baby album later.
  • Options
    I hate shower games. Pretty much everything listed here makes me want to run screaming for the hills. The "can't say a buzz word" thing is almost enough for me to turn around a the door and head to the nearest bar. The timer thing is fine, because guests don't have to do ANYTHING and they win prizes. The best prizes in my circle are $5 gift cards to Dunkin Donuts. Any actual objects i'd usually just throw away on the way home. Same goes for favors.

Are you having a cake for dessert? If so, you could also do a "favor" of some other type of wrapped dessert/candy. People can either eat it right then or take it home. At my baby shower we had chocolate lolly pops that people could take, or eat, or whatever. They were out the whole time on a table next to the cake. 

You have 3 hours for people to arrive, eat, watch presents, eat dessert, and depart. That's plenty to do, you don't need to cram in a bunch of games too.