Wedding Woes

Thursday!

It's DH's bday. 

It's snowing-ish out there. 

I got very little sleep last night. 

Both my kids were extra sassy this morning. 

I injured my hand yesterday.  It hurts, but I think it's just bruised at the worst.  Typing doesn't hurt too bad, more if I just try to twist it the wrong way.

At least the headache I woke up with has subsided after coffee and a buttload of ibuprofen.  

I get a massage tomorrow, thank god. 

Re: Thursday!

• edited January 2017
    Not a whole lot tbh. Did vacuuming upstairs finally and watched "This Is Us" {is anyone here watching it?}

I tried to do yoga, but I don't have a mat and it hurts on hardwood :( So that's on my list of things to get.

Had a talk with M this morning about getting shit done. I told him this weekend I want the basement swept, curtain rod put up and him to go thru jobs. I'm tired of his procrastination, I'm not doing everything. We have a couch to pick up soon, and the basement needs to be swept before we can do that.

Tonight I need to shower so I think I'm gonna do a mask also. I need to record a youtube video this weekend, but I'm not sure what palette to use so I'm stuck on ideas :(

OH! I bought tickets for my mum and I to see "Comic Strippers" in April. It's a 19+ show, so I can only imagine what it is ;) It's not at a bar, so I'll assume they don't actually get naked lol
    http://thecomicstrippers.com/

• OH! I bought tickets for my mum and I to see "Comic Strippers" in April. It's a 19+ show, so I can only imagine what it is ;) It's not at a bar, so I'll assume they don't actually get naked lol
    OMG! I'm pretty sure my coworker went to this... it's a whole lotta penis. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @AtomicBlonde I swear I've had the same conversation with M about doing stuff around the house!!
  • drid said:

OH! I bought tickets for my mum and I to see "Comic Strippers" in April. It's a 19+ show, so I can only imagine what it is ;) It's not at a bar, so I'll assume they don't actually get naked lol
    OMG! I'm pretty sure my coworker went to this... it's a whole lotta penis. 
    Seriously? LMFAO!!! I'm not really surprised tbh
  • drid said:

Took my dog to the vet for his yearly shots yesterday and they suggested he get a dental cleaning so I asked them to give me a quote for it and I almost pooped my pants - $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's a Great Dane and 140 lbs, so everything always costs more... but COME ON! Needless to say I'm going to be doing some calling around today to see if I can find a better price for it somewhere else. 
    How old is your GD?  A lot of the cost is the anesthesia.  Toothless had bad teeth so we had them cleaned on an almost yearly basis (basically whenever he had to have a tooth extracted).  We typically went in February, because it's apparently pet dental health month, and our vets gave us like a 15% discount, so you could ask if your vet runs a similar special.  IDK what part of the country you're in, but when we used to live in DC, $600 for a dental cleaning was a steal.

FWIW, if Toothless hadn't had such bad teeth, I never would have paid to have his teeth cleaned even once.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm back!  Technically back on TK yesterday, but too busy to post.  I lurked you all yesterday and read back through the Friday & Monday posts.

Charleston was lovely.  It rained both Saturday & Sunday, but we were still able to get out and do some stuff and eat without getting drenched or having to take a Lyft everywhere.  Our flight home was delayed, which would have been nice to know prior to us getting to the airport!  We could have had some more time to walk around since it was finally a sunny day again!

H is in a conference in AC today and staying over.  I would have joined him tonight if we literally just didn't come back from our Charleston trip.  Maybe next year if we can have an overnight babysitter!  I was also going to meet him tomorrow after work for a nice dinner to celebrate his promotion, but Betsey was back at the vet.  So celebration dinner is on hold until we know more about Betsey's condition.

We thought Betsey was turning a corner when we left her with my parents for our trip.  She was eating all the food and acting normal.  But over the weekend, she stopped eating so well and all she wanted to do was lay outside (in which there was a Nor'easter - so it was cold and rainy).  She hasn't even eaten anything for us since we've gotten home and she looked thinner too.  So we took her back to the vet.  She was a little dehydrated and they gave her fluids and took more blood.  I should get the results for that bloodwork today.  Hopefully its nothing too serious, but we will see.  She still constantly wants to go outside and won't lay down for more than 20-30 minutes in a stretch.  She also lost another 6 pounds since I last took her to the vet 2 weeks ago :(  Positive doggy thoughts for Betsey is appreciated!

I will be home with the pups tonight and will run some errands after dinner, but otherwise, nothing crazy going on.

DSC - Saw you are getting close!  Good delivery and baby vibes to you!

Lynda - I am astounded at your story with the guy coming into the restroom to ask you out! 

Happy Birthday to all WWers and their SOs!

• I love "This Is Us" too!!  I tear up at least once an episode.  It fills the "Parenthood" size hole in my heart (which makes sense, since it's created by the guy who did "Parenthood".) 
  • @VarunaTT  @mrsconn23  did you guys see the recent ep? I don't wanna give any spoilers but I've heard rumours how they're going to parallel a later episode
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I actually can't believe how much I like "This is Us."  I really thought it would super cheesy, but DH and I binge watched the first 10 episodes over NYE while I was waylaid with the tummy bug.  We were actually halfway through this week's episode when DH and I had our tiff, haha.  Maybe we'll finish it tonight.

ETA I am pretty sure kid-Randall and William are my favorite characters.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• My health insurance sucks. I have a new BC prescription and this is the first time I've had it filled on the new insurance. I've had other meds filled and insurance has covered them at full or nearly full cost, so I assumed BC would be great same. Nope. They don't cover it in any local pharmacies. Any type of BC in any brick and mortar pharmacy. So I have to go back/call back my doctor see if they'll write me a new prescription that I have to mail in to the prescription company and they'll cover it that way.

Only mail order, zero in person coverage. So instead of using my pharmacy I like, with the pharmacist I know, I have to have it go through a mail order service. Awesome, thanks Ohio. And I had to pay full price for the pack I picked up because it takes the mail order service 7-10 days to process the prescription once they receive it. That's some bullshit. The rep I talked to told me she had never seen a plan that excluded all type she of birth control at in person pharmacies before. 
  • drid said:

Took my dog to the vet for his yearly shots yesterday and they suggested he get a dental cleaning so I asked them to give me a quote for it and I almost pooped my pants - $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's a Great Dane and 140 lbs, so everything always costs more... but COME ON! Needless to say I'm going to be doing some calling around today to see if I can find a better price for it somewhere else. 
    How old is your GD?  A lot of the cost is the anesthesia.  Toothless had bad teeth so we had them cleaned on an almost yearly basis (basically whenever he had to have a tooth extracted).  We typically went in February, because it's apparently pet dental health month, and our vets gave us like a 15% discount, so you could ask if your vet runs a similar special.  IDK what part of the country you're in, but when we used to live in DC, $600 for a dental cleaning was a steal.

FWIW, if Toothless hadn't had such bad teeth, I never would have paid to have his teeth cleaned even once.
    He's almost 5 now. Our vet suggested February too, but didn't say they give a discount. A vet that I looked at online yesterday has a 10% discount for Feb so that's good, hopefully they have a better price too. 

We're in Alberta, I really don't know what the norm is but there's no way I am paying $600 to get my dog's teeth cleaned. I don't think he's anywhere near the point that he needs extraction, which is hopeful, but she just said they were starting to get some buildup and he could use a cleaning. 

Blah... I've gotta do some research
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @AtomicBlonde "if it's still full in the morning I will empty it then"??? Does he think the dishwasher fairy is going to come through and empty it overnight? I don't blame you for being frustrated!

@OliveOilsMom thoughts and prayers for Betsey! It's so hard to have a sick pet :(

Happy birthday to Mr. Conn!

My hairdresser was sick yesterday, so I didn't get to get my hair done. We're going to reschedule soon. It worked out fine, though. I went home, worked out, cooked dinner, and snuggled up with the pups. @MissKittyDanger I watched This Is Us last night too. I freakin love that show. I cry all the tears every time I watch it.

Tonight will be similar to last night. Go home, work out, cook dinner, rest. I weighed this morning and I've lost another pound! I noticed last night that I was able to do more of the exercises in my video than I was able to a couple of weeks ago. Seeing results is really making me motivated to keep it up!

•  
    My health insurance sucks. I have a new BC prescription and this is the first time I've had it filled on the new insurance. I've had other meds filled and insurance has covered them at full or nearly full cost, so I assumed BC would be great same. Nope. They don't cover it in any local pharmacies. Any type of BC in any brick and mortar pharmacy. So I have to go back/call back my doctor see if they'll write me a new prescription that I have to mail in to the prescription company and they'll cover it that way.

Only mail order, zero in person coverage. So instead of using my pharmacy I like, with the pharmacist I know, I have to have it go through a mail order service. Awesome, thanks Ohio. And I had to pay full price for the pack I picked up because it takes the mail order service 7-10 days to process the prescription once they receive it. That's some bullshit. The rep I talked to told me she had never seen a plan that excluded all type she of birth control at in person pharmacies before. 

That is total BS!!!!!!!!!! I've never heard of anything like that before. I would be so pissed!

• I'm really wanting to marathon This is Us because its on my ondemand, but I'm so hooked on Bones right now I just can't stop!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Varuna - Do you think that yoga would help?  I know its not a beat the bag type of exercise, but I have found myself to be a lot calmer about various things mostly to the yoga.  And that is something you could do at home with a video or even a subscription to a yoga practice on Amazon Prime, etc.

Atomic - For Hawaii - I would recommend flying into Oahu and doing Pearl Harbor either the same day or stay one night, do Pearl Harbor (I also recommend seeing the Missouri - though you have to pay for admission to that part) in the morning and then head to another island for the remainder of your trip.  Oahu is very developed and IMO the other islands are so much better!  If interested in the Volcanoes, I would do the Big Island.  There are two major tourist areas here and the Volcanoes are about a 2 hour drive one way in between the tourist towns.  They have a small hotel and it can be a very dark ride home if you stay to see the caldera glow.  I would recommend staying at the hotel at Volcano National Park for at least 1 night or take a bus trip there, so you don't have to drive home.  Next Hawaii trip (which may be in 2019!) we are doing a week on BI and a week on Kauai.  We will also do the overnight stay at VNP. 

• DH and I got in a small tiff last night about chores.  I asked him to empty the dishwasher, and he said, "If it's still full in the morning, I will empty it then."  Meanwhile there are dirty dishes all over the place that I am tired of looking at.  So I made some kind of PA comment about feeling like I have to do everything and then some, and he said, "Well then just don't do things and I will do them."  So I said, "Oh, okay, when?  Obviously not on any reasonable schedule since you promised me two weeks ago you'd clean the bathroom and it still hasn't been done."  

So he huffed away to clean the bathroom while I watched the new Lemony Snickett series on Netflix (P.S. I <3 Patrick Warburton).  I felt slightly guilty because we really only have 2 hours a night together during the week, but my feet and back ached and I was too tired to care much, and besides taking the trash out and assembling the closet, he really hasn't done much lately, and even though it's not tit-for-tat and I don't want it to be, a little more help around the house would be just grand.

In other news, we have decided to go to Hawaii in July.  We're thinking just one island, but don't know where to start.  All I know is he wants beachiness and I want to climb a volcano and we both said "Pearl Harbor if there's time."  I used to love planning this shit.  Now it just feels exhausting.

Surprising fact about @short+sassy, my mom was born and raised in Hawaii and most of my extended family lives there.

It's actually not bad to island hop, if you keep it to two.  Because you have to anyway, unless you want to stay on Oahu the whole time.  Unless it's changed, all the flights from the mainland go to Honolulu, which is on Oahu.  Oahu is also where Pearl Harbor is.  I've been there.  It's a great and humbling site to see.  I would highly recommend it.  It also does not take that long.  Because, really, the main thing you want to do is walk out over the USS Arizona.  There is also a small museum.

There are certainly beaches in Oahu.  Waikiki is the famous one.

The other place I'd recommend in Oahu is the Polynesian Cultural Center.  It's awesome, but it is more a full day event.  It's part museum, part live shows.

For hiking on a volcano, I think you have to go to the big island of Hawaii.  Like I mentioned, I don't think there are direct flights to the big island, so you all will have to go through Oahu anyway.  Of course, there are lots of great beaches on the big island also.  Here's a link about the Kīlauea Visitor Center and info about volcano hiking trails:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/hike.htm

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Varuna - Do you think that yoga would help?  I know its not a beat the bag type of exercise, but I have found myself to be a lot calmer about various things mostly to the yoga.  And that is something you could do at home with a video or even a subscription to a yoga practice on Amazon Prime, etc.

I love yoga and I do it at home.  I have Jillian Michaels' "Yoga Meltdown" and "Yoga Inferno" (I know some people hate her, but her workout dvds are really well done.  She's a good instructor and does complex routines with a decent modifier.). I also have a Gaiam yoga DVD.  I don't love it or use it as much, but it's also a decent workout. 
  • @OliveOilsMom, I'm glad you all enjoyed your trip to Charleston!  All the prayers and positive doggy thoughts for Betsey.

I don't have much more than the usual going on.  My H put a couple pork loins in the slow cooker yesterday morning with a yummy sauce.  That turned out great and was a nice dinner surprise.

I occasionally mystery shop as a side gig.  I picked up an assignment yesterday that I'm really excited about.  It's a gourmet hot dog place.  They're yummy, but spendy!  Like $8-$12 for a hot dog or sausage.  Granted, with all kinds of fun and unique ingredients and sausages to choose from.  H and I will be going there for lunch on Saturday.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    @drid - I'm in the Midwest and paid around $350 for one of my chi's recent dentals.  Of course, that is a lot less anesthesia, but she also had an impacted tooth that had to be removed.  She is also 10 years old, so we did pre-bloodwork.  One of my best friends called me from the Southwest and said his vet recommended a dental for his dog.  He asked if he was being scammed.  Ha!  He asked, "Is $160 a good price?"  Uhhhhh......yeah.

@AtomicBlonde - I totally get it.  Sometimes I snark at FI over chores.  It can be so hard to not let frustration take over at times.   

@MissKittyDanger - I recommend you get a really plush mat.  I bought the thin one I see all the cool chicks using, and it hurts just as bad!  

It sounds like I need to watch This Is Us.  There are a lot of fans here!

Last night, I tried a new recipe for fajita pasta and it was fantastic.  FI and I both really enjoyed it.  The only bummer is that I don't think pasta reheats all that well so I don't think I will be enjoying any leftovers.

I am working at home again today so the dogs are still passed out in almost the same place as yesterday.  I am on the waitlist for a barre class tonight and I am half hoping-I-get-in and half hoping-I-don't.

Edited: The box wants me to tag everyone in this post.  Ugh. 

• @Ro041  ooh! Good thinking! I probably would have ended up buying a thin one, since they're everywhere :)
  • Side note, last summer I wanted to sign up for a course to up what I do at my job but couldn't {schooling years and working years} but over the xmas holidays I reached out to the company that runs it, advised that the exam in 2018 will be about 2 weeks before my 5yr anniversary {which is the minimum time you have to be at the job to apply} and they confirmed I can sign up in July.

SO! I talked to my boss the other day, and she said if she had to decide now she would have me hold off because there are things she'd like me to get control on first but since the sign up isn't until July, we can work on it and review closer to the date.

I'm kind of really excited :)

•  
    My health insurance sucks. I have a new BC prescription and this is the first time I've had it filled on the new insurance. I've had other meds filled and insurance has covered them at full or nearly full cost, so I assumed BC would be great same. Nope. They don't cover it in any local pharmacies. Any type of BC in any brick and mortar pharmacy. So I have to go back/call back my doctor see if they'll write me a new prescription that I have to mail in to the prescription company and they'll cover it that way.

That is total BS!!!!!!!!!! I've never heard of anything like that before. I would be so pissed!
    Apparently neither had I, or the prescription plan rep who said she'd never seen a plan like this before. I'm super pissed. Like, way to make it so much more difficult to get birth control. 
  • Ro041 said:
    @drid - I'm in the Midwest and paid around $350 for one of my chi's recent dentals.  Of course, that is a lot less anesthesia, but she also had an impacted tooth that had to be removed.  She is also 10 years old, so we did pre-bloodwork.  One of my best friends called me from the Southwest and said his vet recommended a dental for his dog.  He asked if he was being scammed.  Ha!  He asked, "Is $160 a good price?"  Uhhhhh......yeah.

$160? That's a dream! Haha

I just found some sort of holistic vet's suggestion to use a mix of peroxide and aloe vera juice, rub it on once or twice a day and after a week or so you should be able to just scrape the plaque off yourself. I think I'm going to at least give it a try for a while and see if it works. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Ro041 Definitely watch This Is Us! Start at the beginning, though. It's so good.