Wedding Woes
Options

He's trying to be professional, you should try that too.

Dear Prudence,
I have a co-worker with whom I had a fairly close office friendship. Over time, I developed a bit of a crush on him. (I am in a relationship, he is single.) In a spectacular mistake, I admitted this to him several months ago. After some awkwardness, our friendship seemed to resume as normal. Then in recent months he noticeably stopped speaking to me. I apologized for mentioning my crush and asked if I did something new to upset him or if my continued presence at work makes him uncomfortable. He dodged both questions, and now will only speak to me when absolutely necessary to get work done using the bare minimum number of words. I feel terrible and don’t want to perpetuate an environment where we’re both on edge around each other. At the same time, I understand his reluctance to talk about it. How can I address this, short of finding a new job?

—Crushing Silence

Re: He's trying to be professional, you should try that too.

• Options
    It's an unrequited crush.
    Do what people do in school and let it go, accepting the fact the person is even willing to be friends. He's putting distance to not interfere with your relationship.
  • Options
    Continuing to bring it up is only going to make it worse. It sucks you lost a work friend, but he's made it clear your relationship will be strictly professional from here on out. Respect that. 
  • Options
    Yes, radio silence on her part and do your job.
  • Options
    This is the risk you take in mentioning crushes.
    Hence every rom-com that uses the phrase 'friend zone' ever made.

Professionalism for a year, then reapproach friendship, IMO
  • Options
    Ro041 said:
    LW seriously needs to stop mentioning the crush or s/he is going to get a phone call from HR soon...
    That was my first thought, too. 
  • Options
    The LW needs to stop trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube.  She took the risk, it didn't work out, time to move on.  This is one situation where she can't have her cake and eat it too.