Honeymoon Discussions

USVI vs the Big Island

my fiancé is from Canada so we will not be able to leave the US for our honeymoon. We want to go somewhere tropical that neither of us have ever been before. I have been to Maui, Kauai and Oahu but have not been to the big island nor have I been to the US Virgin Islands. My fiancé has not been to any of them.

We would like to stay at a nice hotel that is right on a nice and not overly populated beach. We are also active and like to hike, kayak, snorkel, maybe play tennis... other than that some nice dinners and maybe a little night life in the way of music would be great.... and relaxation!!  Has anybody been to both places and would recommend one over the other based on my comments?  Also are there any good deals to be had?  Thanks in advance!

Re: USVI vs the Big Island

• What time of year?
  • edited February 2017
    "not overly populated" I think you could more easily find this on the Big Island. Also, there's tons of hiking and, IMO, it's more active than beach loungy.

ETA: @lyndausvi - what are your thoughts. I know the USVI hold a special place in your heart, but you probably know it better than anyone here.
    *********************************************************************************

• I lived in the USVI for 15+ years, but I've also been to HI, including the big island.     I don't think you can go wrong at either place. 

As far as deals.  Where do you live?  What time of year?   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • June. Our wedding date is June 3rd.  I live in Southern California

appreciate your input!
  • I've done the BI and we loved it.  Lots to do and see, yet we still had down time for relaxation.  There were a lot of days that we did some adventure thing for half the day and spent the other half relaxing at the pool or beach.  It was a pretty awesome division of things to do.  

Never been to the USVI.  Honestly, I can't figure out how to get there through the usual travel websites, so we never strongly considered it for a vacation

• For the big island I have been looking at the Mauna Kea hotel and then spend a few days by volcano (volcano house?)

for usvi, I am looking at caneel Bay in St. John, Frenchmans Reef in St Thomas,  and the Renaissance in st croix.. if we do USVI do you recommend a few days at each? I know for sure I would want to go to St. John.  We have about 10 days total.  Thoughts on those hotels?
  • I have stayed at Volcano House. It is the only hotel in Volcano National Park, and it is all about the view. 

Pros: It is in Volcano National Park, and most of the other hotels are on the other side of the island, so staying there saves you a 20- to 30-minute drive before you explore the park. Almost every bedroom has a view of the active volcano, which is even better at night when it glows.

Cons: The rooms are not fancy. This place is all about the view and the park, so there is no pool or gym. The walls are thin. The only place to eat within a 20-minute drive is the pricey restaurant in the hotel, which has strict hours and requires reservations.

Basically, your plan to do a few days at the Mauna Kea hotel first is a good one. Volcano House is amazing for a couple of days but not for longer.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • my fiancé is from Canada so we will not be able to leave the US for our honeymoon. We want to go somewhere tropical that neither of us have ever been before. I have been to Maui, Kauai and Oahu but have not been to the big island nor have I been to the US Virgin Islands. My fiancé has not been to any of them.

We would like to stay at a nice hotel that is right on a nice and not overly populated beach. We are also active and like to hike, kayak, snorkel, maybe play tennis... other than that some nice dinners and maybe a little night life in the way of music would be great.... and relaxation!!  Has anybody been to both places and would recommend one over the other based on my comments?  Also are there any good deals to be had?  Thanks in advance!
    Did I miss something?  Why can't he leave?

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    my fiancé is from Canada so we will not be able to leave the US for our honeymoon. We want to go somewhere tropical that neither of us have ever been before. I have been to Maui, Kauai and Oahu but have not been to the big island nor have I been to the US Virgin Islands. My fiancé has not been to any of them.

Did I miss something?  Why can't he leave?
    certain visas preclude the holder to leave the US until they get their green cards. We have a friend (married to an American) who hasn't been able to leave the states to go visit her family  in South Korea in over 2 years because of her visa (having issues getting a green card, but she does have a work visa).    Saw it often while living in the USVI and couldn't take certain people over to the BVI's because their visas didn't let them.   *** they can leave the states, they would just not be allowed to return.

OP - I would just stay at Caneel Bay the whole time.   Or do Caneel and then Renaissance in St Croix.  You can take a day trip to St Thomas from St john.  That would be enough.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yes, Lynda is correct. He won't be able to leave the US until he gets his travel visa. Thanks for the feedback... sounds like you are not impressed with St Thomas. A little pricey to spend the whole 10 nights at Caneel!  I read that there is currently no ferry to st croix, so have to go by plane. Is that true?  What about going to Puerto Rico as part of our trip, like for 3 days.. and then possibly fly home from there? Worth it or better to just stay with the USVI?
  • Yes, Lynda is correct. He won't be able to leave the US until he gets his travel visa. Thanks for the feedback... sounds like you are not impressed with St Thomas. A little pricey to spend the whole 10 nights at Caneel!  I read that there is currently no ferry to st croix, so have to go by plane. Is that true?  What about going to Puerto Rico as part of our trip, like for 3 days.. and then possibly fly home from there? Worth it or better to just stay with the USVI?
    I lived in St Thomas for 8 years.  Owned a home.  Live in St John for 7 years prior.  Prefer St John, just happened to work in St Thomas, plus the homes were more affordable.  Just made more sense to live on STT.

When on vacation I would prefer to stay on St John if the budget allowed.   Just take a day trip over to St Thomas.  If funds are an issue, do the opposite.  Stay on St Thomas and do day trips to St John.    Frenchman's Reef is nice.  Although I might try and stay on the East End of STT  (Red Hook).  Try  Margaritaville, Ritz, Elysian or even Secret Harbor.  The last 2 are not true resorts (more like condos), but the beaches are nice.  Close to the STJ ferry.

There is no ferry to St Croix.  It's some 42 miles in some rough seas.   You can take a sea plane from St Thomas (on the waterfront in Charlotte Amile,   or a normal plane from the airport.   I like PR.  You could easily do 3 days in PR before or after to break up the trip.  PR is only a 20 minute flight from STT.