Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Appropriate First Dance

Hi all,

My FI and I want our first dance to be to "Gonna Wanna Tonight" by Chase Rice.  It has special meaning to us.  We jammed out (read:  sang loudly and obnoxiously :)) to this song in the on our first date together, and we like the lyrics.  It focuses on just spending the evening enjoying life and each other.  It's been "our song" since we started dating.

My only reservation is that some of my family members on my mom's side are on the conservative side, and some of the lyrics are sexual (ie. "put your hands wherever they wanna go").  It's obviously not over the top, but do you guys think it's too much?  I'll post all of the lyrics below.  As a side note, my cousin and her husband danced to "Give It All We Got Tonight" by George Strait, which I think has kind of the same premise, and no one cared at all about that.  Am I overthinking?

Lyrics:
If you wanna climb a ladder on a water tower
Then we'll kick it with the stars for a couple hours
If you wanna then we're gonna get way up high
If you wanna dip your toes where the water stops
Then we'll let our feet hang off a fishin' dock
If you wanna then we're gonna have to give it a try, that's right

If you wanna go way out where there ain't nobody around
And let your long hair get to fallin' down
And let your red lips leave their mark all over mine

If you wanna then we're gonna girl
I hope you're gonna wanna tonight
I hope you're gonna wanna all night

If you wanna catch a buzz and ride it til the mornin'
Let's get two plastic cups and baby I'll get to pourin'
It don't really matter if it's whiskey or wine, it's fine

If you wanna go way out where there ain't nobody around

Fill up the night air with the radio
And put your hands wherever they wanna go
Yeah, we're right there
Girl just close your eyes

Gonna wanna get a little closer
Gonna wanna slide it on over
Gonna wanna

Gonna wanna go out where there ain't nobody around

Come on
Fill up the night air with the radio
And put your hands wherever they wanna go
Yeah, we're right there
Girl just close your eyes

Gonna wanna get a little closer
Gonna wanna slide it on over
Gonna wanna

Ya gonna wanna tonight

Re: Appropriate First Dance

• edited February 2017
    I don't think it's inappropriate, but maybe make it your last dance instead if you're worried about offending?
  • I think you're good, TBH. 

Even the most conservative families I know are cool with a little bit of suggestiveness with a newly married couple. And this is really subtle suggestion.
  • I think you're fine.  No need to hand out lyrics for a sing a long but most people aren't listening that intensly to song lyrics. 

• I agree with the others its a know your crowd thing.  If you are worried it will offend people, move it to a space that is a little less "spotlight", like Southernbelle suggested.  Otherwise have at it!
  • You are probably overthinking it; while some of the lyrics are sexual, they're pretty tame compared to a lot of the music out there. And as @lnixon8 said, how closely will people really be paying attention to the lyrics anyway?

But if you're concerned enough to be asking, or it's something you're going to be nervous about, it might be best to play it at another point where people won't be paying as much attention. You should absolutely play it at some point in the night, though, if it has special meaning for you and your FI. My husband and I both love music, and it was tough choosing a first dance song because so many songs are special to us. There were some songs we decided not to use but made sure were played at other points during the day.