Wedding Woes

I almost forgot it was Prudie day.

Dear Prudence,
I’ve been good friends with a co-worker for many years. I’m a married woman, he’s a single guy, and over the years it feels like our lives have become so intertwined that I never get a break. We go to the same gym, he travels with my family and friends, and he has generally become a part of my social circle. He’s had some difficulty with boundaries and has slept with several of my married friends when they were going through rough patches in their marriages. I’m not worried this will happen to me, but I find that behavior really troubling. He justifies it by saying their husbands weren’t treating them well enough.

He’s also not shy about criticizing my husband, who’s supposedly his friend. His last affair with one of my good friends was really a breaking point with me, and I’ve stepped away from our friendship over the last year. I changed gyms and stopped socializing with him. The problem is that we still work in the same office. He keeps IMing me to ask when we can get together and discuss the “disconnect” he’s been feeling. I don’t really want to talk to him about it. I feel drained (I just lost a loved one this month) and don’t want to deal with him. What’s my obligation to him, and how can I best extricate myself from this situation? He is very emotional about our friendship, so I’m afraid to just tell him I’m done. I should note that my husband is aware of all aspects of my friendship with this guy, including his affairs, and it’s not an issue in our marriage.

—Backing Out

Re: I almost forgot it was Prudie day.

• JFC. Tell him he's making you uncomfortable and if he still persists, get in touch with your HR department. 

Also - re: "He keeps IMing me to ask when we can get together and discuss the “disconnect” he’s been feeling." Is "disconnect" a new euphemism for "horniness"? 
  • Tell him that his comments about your husband make you uncomfortable, and that you feel it's time to step away from the friendship. And as sparklepants said, if he continues contact, talk to HR.

• So, it takes two to have an affair, so it's not like he's the only one to "blame" for the married friends cheating. 

But ghosting a work associate might have consequences, so be upfront and tell him the comments about your husband make you uncomfortable and you'd like them to stop. 

But really, sounds like you're part of each other's social circle, so one way to get some room is to make some changes on your own. 
  • If she doesn't want to break up with him, that's her call.  But since it's tough to ghost a coworker you see every day, I think unfortunately, she's going to have to sack up and talk to the guy if she really doesn't want to be friends anymore.  It doesn't have to be an exhaustive list of everything he's done that she dislikes, but if she wants to end the friendship outright, then I think she needs to be direct with him.
  • I'm rolling my eyes at the LW.  It's fine if she wants to end their friendship, that's her decision.  But it sounds like they were very close before.  So he keeps reaching out, TO HIS GOOD FRIEND.  Who can't be bothered to tell him their friendship is over.

Suck it up, buttercup.  This guy deserves an explanation.  And you're a really crappy person, at least in this scenario, to refuse to give that to him.  Yes it will be unpleasant.  Yes it will be difficult and probably make you feel bad.  Lots of things in life fall in those categories.  Maybe if you need a little more time to recover from your family member dying.  But I suspect that is just a lame excuse.

While you're at it, perhaps some work and/or counseling on your major conflict-avoidance issues.  She lists ALL these things this guy does that bugs/annoys her, lets them build up to the point that she doesn't even want to try saving this friendship...yet, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts she never said one thing about any of it to him.  Other than the general chastisement she gave him about not dating married women.

In addition, she has no business going to HR.  At least not yet.  He's not harassing her, if she's never told him to stop IMing/contacting her outside the office. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree that of course she has to get some courage and explain to this guy that he is being completely inappropriate.  And also that it takes two to cheat.  But this guy sounds like a dick who is purposely trying to create distance between LW and her husband so he can sleep with her.  If I were LW, I wouldn't be so coy about it - I'd upfront tell this guy that he is being a really poor friend and that unless he can stop disrespecting a man that he is also supposed to be friends with, he can leave well enough alone.