Wedding Woes
Options

How hard is it to say nothing and just keep it in the back of your mind?

Dear Prudence,
I just found out that a co-worker who’s always been hard to deal with (seems to ignore directions and explanations, is often combative, withholds information) has autism. I feel both relieved because this explains her behavior to a certain degree, but also terrible, because we’ve had serious arguments when I thought she was trying to throw me under the bus. We don’t work in the same department but sometimes collaborate on projects. Had I known she had autism (rather than just thinking she’s a jerk) I would have approached our interactions differently. This information is not public knowledge (that I know of); I overheard a friend of hers share it with someone else. What can I do here, if anything? Should I talk to her about our working relationship in light of this? Talk to my supervisor, who knows that I’ve had issues with her? Apologize? Do nothing? I certainly feel like I should change my approach with her, but don’t really know how.

—Miscommunication

Re: How hard is it to say nothing and just keep it in the back of your mind?

• Options

I think it's great the LW now has a bit better understanding of his/her coworker.  Perhaps this will help them communicate better with her in the future.  However, they definitely shouldn't say anything to her or anybody else.  That's crazy.

They also shouldn't take a totally carte blance attitude in regards to the coworker's attitude and actions.  This coworker needs to be able to do her job.  Period.  A disability, mental or physical, is not a safety net for someone if they are not able to handle the core components of their job.

As a more obvious example, there are a lot of disabilities that preclude someone from getting a commercial driver's license.  Are they being discriminated against being a limo or truck driver because of their disability?  Yes, they are.  But it is an allowable discrimination because the core job requirement is a commercial driver's license.  They don't have one and can't get one, so they fail one of the core requirements.

Wedding Countdown Ticker