Wedding Woes
Options

Stop cleaning up her messes.

Dear Prudence,
My friend has always been wild, but lately she’s been getting worse and I’m not sure what to do. She’s been partying a lot, and going home with lots of different men, which isn’t a problem by itself, but she constantly tells me how worthless it makes her feel, and seems so upset the next day. I’ve had to pick her up from random guys’ houses, taken her to the hospital for alcohol poisoning, and cleaned up the messes she’s made almost every weekend for the last three months. I even had to convince her boss not to fire her after showing up to work too hungover to function. I want to be there for her (she doesn’t have much family), but it’s starting to negatively affect me—I’m planning on having a baby soon and debated putting it off to be able to focus on her! I don’t think that’s fair to me or my fiancé. I don’t want to leave her out in the cold, but how can I get her to take some responsibility? It’s become too much and I don’t want to resent her or completely cut her off, but I’ve come close. When I call her out, she sheepishly says, “I know,” then I get a call hours later for help.

—How Can I Be a Good Friend?

Re: Stop cleaning up her messes.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Help friend find proper help. I want to say "stop answering the phone" but in theory, I would continue helping because I would feel I have to. However ... doing this is almost allowing it to continue enabling and not stopping the cycle :\
  • Options
    "Friend, I am worried about you. Is everything okay?" And then perhaps offer to go to counseling with her at first. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    She's talking about putting off TTC because of this lady.  She needs Al/Nar-anon. 
    Yeah. I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor at that one.
  • Options
    The LW needs to do some research and have options ready to go for an intervention (when the person is sober!) along with some counseling for themselves as it's clear enabling .  The friend needs to get hooked up with a program whether that's formal rehab, AA/SA, the LiveFree Program, etc. because it's a tipping point.