Chit Chat
Options

Wedding gofundme

What are your thoughts on this?  We were considering it, but for non typical reasons.  She doesn't have any family as both her parents passed away and the family that took her in was abusive, so she broke off contact.  

We were here doing good on a budget (we have been together awhile) and we're planning a wedding back in 2013, but she was hit by a drunk driver.  We have been dealing with medical bills ever since that sucked our savings dry.  Who knew a medical helicopter cost $100,000!  Basically for that we were able to get the small insurance payout and it all went to medical bills.  

Anyway, just curious as to the thoughts.  To me it kinda seems tacky, but at the same time I want to give her the wedding we had planned back in 2013.

Re: Wedding gofundme

• Options
    What are your thoughts on this?  We were considering it, but for non typical reasons.  She doesn't have any family as both her parents passed away and the family that took her in was abusive, so she broke off contact.  

We were here doing good on a budget (we have been together awhile) and we're planning a wedding back in 2013, but she was hit by a drunk driver.  We have been dealing with medical bills ever since that sucked our savings dry.  Who knew a medical helicopter cost $100,000!  Basically for that we were able to get the small insurance payout and it all went to medical bills.  

Anyway, just curious as to the thoughts.  To me it kinda seems tacky, but at the same time I want to give her the wedding we had planned back in 2013.
    JIC - although this might just be MUD.

• Options

Tacky and unnecessary. Who is "she"? Agree with PP, plan the wedding you can afford now and plan on doing something special at another time, like an anniversary trip or other special event you want to celebrate. 
  • Options
    That's what we were kinda thinking.  The idea was mentioned to us, but it just seems tacky.  
  • Options
    @Charlotte989875, check your wording in your last post.  Did you mean "Her parents...are NOT required....?"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    @Charlotte989875, check your wording in your last post.  Did you mean "Her parents...are NOT required....?"
    Sure did! Thanks for catching that. 
  • Options
    My house got broken into, so you should pay for my new Rolex. See how ridiculous that is?

I'm glad you decided not to do this. Part of being an adult is knowing that sometimes, life just doesn't work out the way we want it to. It's unfortunate that your FI had an expensive injury, that's never fun. But it doesn't make it ok to ask for other people to fund luxury expenses for you. Sooner or later, we all have unexpected set backs that require us to readjust priorities. It's just part of life. How you deal with it is who you are. 
  • Options

I'm so sorry your FI was in such a terrible accident!

But PPs are right.  And you and your FI sound like sane people, who felt uncomfortable with the idea for a reason.  Weddings are never appropriate for a GFM.  Because it actually doesn't cost much to get married.  The fee for the license and the officiant (sp?).  If a couple chooses to have guests and a reception that's a want, not a need.  Definitely nothing wrong with that!  But people need to pay for their own wants. 

TBH, I think the wedding and movie industries make a big hoopla where there doesn't need to be.  Marrying your true love is special and amazing, even if it's just the two people and their officiant.  I know a lot of people who regret the big bucks they dropped on their reception.

My wedding/reception was smaller and less costly than average.  It was around $5K.  My H and I were comfortable with that amount, though my mom offered to pay most of it.  No regrets, whatsoever.  But, if $5K would have been a hardship for us, we would have had just as lovely a day spending a few hundred dollars for a private (immediate family only) ceremony and then take everyone out to a nice restaurant for dinner.

I know you want to do something special for her, considering everything you all have been through.  But you all need to decide if you really want to spend $X on, essentially, a party.  Especially when finances have been tight. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. Tacky. Keep saving, or scale down the wedding. 

• Options
    First off sorry for the accident, must be a very difficult stage in both your lives.
    second, totally on the disagreement side. better just save up or do it in small scale. do it big later on