Wedding Woes
Options

FRIDAY!!

This morning was hectic and last minute.  The kiddo woke up super late.  We almost missed DefConn's bus because I lost track of time.  Thank god we're at the end of the week. 

Hair appt for me tomorrow.  Other than that, we don't have much on the slate for this weekend.  And that is a-OK.  We might go see the Lego Batman Movie.  DH has plans to get home from work and do stuff, but we'll see.  He's not home yet, so yeah...I bet he's going to nap too long like every other Friday.  :) 

Our second Blue Apron was also a success.  DH said it was the best burger he ever had and we all ate parsnips for the first time ever (which roasted parsnips are very close to tasting like french fries).  We have another order coming next week. 

Re: FRIDAY!!

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Hair appt for me tomorrow.  Other than that, we don't have much on the slate for this weekend.  And that is a-OK.  We might go see the Lego Batman Movie.  DH has plans to get home from work and do stuff, but we'll see.  He's not home yet, so yeah...I bet he's going to nap too long like every other Friday.  :) 
    That looks good, I want to see it at some point. 

I totally forgot Wooz's school Valentine's dance is tonight.  So we're doing that.  Tomorrow is the usual swim/riding, with a birthday party added to the mix.  Date night tomorrow, if Mr. Heff is up to it.  (More on that below.)  Sunday is supposed to be gorgeous, and I'm second guessing getting a massage when I could be outside.  But I think I'm keeping my appointment, because massage.  Mr. Heff proposed having me meet the kids and him at the Whitewater Center afterward for some hiking and outdoor time.  But we'll see, because...

That cold that Mr. Heff and I picked up from our germy offspring has erupted into full-blown man flu on his end.  I'm usually pretty indulgent, but this morning it was annoying the snot out of me.  It's a cold.  I don't think I'm generally unsympathetic, but JFC, you're not dying.  The worst was that he was shuffling around the kitchen, groaning, while I tried to get Wooz out the door.  He sounded like an old man.  A crabby old man.  Me:

• Options
    Happy Friday!  The light at the end of the tunnel wasn't a train, after all.

I was slammed at work yesterday.  I am still catching up this morning.  My work week officially ended yesterday, and I won't get paid the overtime today, but it needs to be done, and if you really love your job, it's all good, right?  It's only a couple of hours...

...I hope this does not become a pattern.  The uncompensated work hours, I mean, not the loving my job part.

No exciting plans for the weekend.  I AM going to get my library card (finally).  Movie night tonight (yay!), probably chores tomorrow (boo).  DH wants to see Rings, but I prefer to wait for horror flicks on Redbox so I can watch them with all the lights on.  We'll see.  We were going to pick up the bookcases, but I forgot to order them yesterday for pickup on Sunday, so we'll do that next weekend.  IDK, maybe I'll stake out my veggie garden.  If the daffodils are blooming, it can't be too early in the season, right?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Oh, and for mrs.conn: DH originally wanted to see Rogue One for date night, but it's only in a couple of theaters now, none especially close.  So I have proposed hanging out in the Haw instead.  ;)
  • Options
    Hello! Happy Freaking Friday!
    H works from home Fridays but got up an hour early to clear the nearly 16" of snow off my car and snowblow my car, the sidewalks, and paths. I only ended up leaving about 20 minutes after I normally would have and since pretty much every town in the state had school cancellations today, I made it to work pretty easily!

We're supposed to get more snow tonight and then have a doozy of a snowstorm on Sunday night, so this weekend I am hoping to run a bunch of errands, get stuff done around the house, and maybe have a Date Night if we both have energy after all that. 

We both still want to see Rogue One, but it's hardly in any theaters any more, so if we do go see a movie this weekend it should probably be that one. I never got The Accountant on Redbox the other night, so I may try to see if that's available tonight. 
  • Options

@mrsconn23, now I want to try roasted parsnips.

I was going to take today off, but couldn't :(.  I'll try again next Friday.  It's my own fault, I wasn't diligent enough getting my weekly reports out, so I needed to come in today.  I have an appointment at 3:30 to meet with a life insurance agent.  So I'll need to tidy up the house.  At least the front room, haha.

Tomorrow morning, H and I have our p/t IC job to do.  Then we are hitting a flea market near our new duplex to see if our stolen tools ended up there.  I personally highly doubt it, but I've always wanted to check out this flea market anyway.  And it would normally be like trying to pull teeth to get my H to go.  This time it was his idea!  I also need to do some grocery shopping and meal prep.

I've dubbed Sunday a Mimosa Day.  Mimosa Days are for when I don't need to leave the house and have all day to sip away a bottle of champagne.

I don't remember what thread it was, but we were talking about common names with weird spellings.  We're currently doing showings for the 2-bed unit of our new duplex.  I kid you not.  Out of about 12 e-mails I received, 3 of them were named Keshawn/Kashawn/Kieshawn.  Same name, three different spellings (though perhaps the one with the "Ka" is pronounced slightly differently).  I was cracking up.  And a fourth person that my H got a phone call from was named Keshawna.  She has a showing scheduled and I'm really hoping she turns in an application...just so I can see how she spells her name, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 & @short+sassy I love roasted parsnips! If you have leftovers, they are super delicious in a salad with crumbled blue cheese, hazelnuts, pears, and balsamic vinaigrette.
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 & @short+sassy I love roasted parsnips! If you have leftovers, they are super delicious in a salad with crumbled blue cheese, hazelnuts, pears, and balsamic vinaigrette.
    I love ALL of these things, lol.  Thanks for the tip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Morning WW and Happy Friday!

I napped for about 3 hours yesterday afternoon to make up for the missing 3 hours overnight!  It felt great! 

We then went to the doctor's for H's physical and TDAP shot.  Apparently his heart was racing.  We thought it might have been due to the two penicillin he took while on an empty stomach, as he ended up throwing up the 2nd one about an hour before his appointment.  He said he felt fine afterwards because my mind immediately went to stomach flu.  I think he might have a touch of it because TMI - he spent the night on and off the toilet.  So at the doctor's they hooked him up to an EKG.  His pulse had slowed down by then, so while good, it still wasn't where he was supposed to be.  So we were told to go back next week to repeat it.  Then once we were already home, the nurse practitioner called us and said now H needs to see a cardiologist and get blood work.  So hopefully, this ends up being a lot of nothing and its just related to whatever virus he currently has.

We were supposed to go buy a new to H car tonight, but that will probably not happen unless H feels tons better by the time I get home from work.  He stayed home today, so hopefully he can rest and feel better.  This is the 2nd week in a row we have put it off.  I thought it was so H could get in one last drive with the top down in his convertible (which thanks to 60 degree weather on Wednesday happened), but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe we are jinxed?  We are trying to buy a Nissan Leaf, but there are none in our immediate area, so we have to drive at least 30 miles to get to a dealership where they have a used one.  So we don't really want to go during the week since it will be about a 45-60 minute drive to get there.  And car buying always takes so long, then the ride home, we know it will be a 4-5 hour endeavor!

Saturday we have the tour of the hospital, Church, and hopefully final tile work.  Sunday I have my niece's confirmation retreat in the evening.

• Options
    Tonight we have to pick up our car from the dealership (having some warranty work done), maybe stop for some dinner and then I need to get a Valentine's Day card for DH.  We have a deal where we can only spend a $1 besides the card so I want to stop at the Dollar Store and see about some candy or something.  

Saturday we'll be at a wrestling tournament for my nephew all day.  Hope he gets a few matches.  Otherwise we cheer for the team, but it gets really long.

Sunday is church and then heading to a nearby town to see a friend of DH's and do a late lunch.  Then back home to get ready for the work week and start all over again.
  • Options
    Trip in this morning was a friggen nightmare .... my coworker still isn't in!

There was an accident this morning, so a good chunk of the highway is closed - everywhere is absolutely packed. Typically I get to the office around 8:45am, this morning I got here at 9:20am. It's almost 10am and my coworker is still in traffic {edit: she got here after 10am}

Tonight is cleaning. I specifically took things out of the sink to make sure I wash them tonight. We can't put certain things into the dishwasher, and I hate doing it by hand *sigh*

Weekend isn't too busy. We're having people over Saturday night for poker. {"poker? i hardly know 'er!" ahahaha!} plus I wanna do at least 2 videos this weekend - one for valentine's day.
    Also, M and I were talking about vday. We're just going to do dinner and exchange cards, plus we've decided to do it the 16th as we typically buy dinner with groceries. Instead of that we're just going to walk up for dinner.
  • Options

TGIF, y'all. This has been the longest week ever.

My boss let me leave at 2 yesterday because I had nothing to do. I still have nothing to do. It's freaking me out. If we don't get more business very soon, the layoffs will start.

My hair appointment didn't happen last night. My hairdresser is one of my best friends (same girl whose adoption fell through last weekend). She came down with the flu. Poor thing can't catch a break lately. She lives less than a mile from me so I brought her some soup and left it on her front porch.

I also found out that my application to get back into the school I was getting my Master's at got denied. Long story, but my GPA had dropped slightly before I stopped going to school, and they have stricter admissions requirements now than they did before. Y'all. I cried my eyes out. I look like I got hit by a bus today. My eyes are so swollen and red. I feel much better today after talking to DH and my mom. I'm going to try some other schools and see what my options are.

• Options
    That sucks @thefanciestbeckler, are there other options to apply to? Are there any post-bac options if your field?

I'm sorry this is happening. 
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2017
    @OliveOilsMom I didn't have quite the same situation as you, but after working in the law field and the bust happening, I thought, "I'm quite happy being a paralegal, thank you, no law school for me."
  • Options

@OliveOilsMom, I hope everything is okay with your H at the cardiologist and he also gets better soon.  I love convertibles.  I've owned two of them, including now.  My current car is a convertible MINI Cooper.

@thefanciestbeckler, I am so sorry to hear you didn't get into your school.  I'm glad you're feeling better today and looking at other options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I took the advice we give so many new knotties and let myself have a pity party for a little while, drank some wine, ate some junk food (didn't have any cupcakes on hand :wink:), and now I'm going to pick myself up, dust myself off, and try something else. @charlotte989875 there are plenty of other options to apply to. I was really hoping to do it online for convenience, but I'm going to try some brick and mortar schools in town.

• Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  that's very sweet of you to bring your friend soup! That's a horrible series of events :(
    Sorry to hear about the school <3 hopefully something better will come around!
  • Options
    @OliveOilsMom - I started law school in 2007.  It was terrible to be in my second year, see the bust and then have to decide what to do (do I leave and waste all the money I spent or stay in and spend more money and hope it gets better?)  By the time we graduated in 2010, the legal market was bottoming out.  I had to borrow money from my grandma to pay my rent after taking the bar while looking for a job.  I was lucky enough to find one, but I had friends who weren't so lucky and started waiting tables.  

Yesterday was so hectic.  I left home at 7:30am and didn't get home until 8:30pm.  I started physical therapy for my shoulder yesterday after work and then went to the gym.  By the time it was dinner time, I ate a Qdoba burrito and un-did any good I did in my circuit training class.  Sigh.

Foster Dog is getting adopted this weekend so that is good.  FI and I are both tired of him at this point and he needs a family who can focus solely on him.  We have another foster dog who is chill and awesome so she can stay.  After I drop off the one getting adopted, I am literally picking up another one.  It never ends.  

• Options
    @thefanciestbeckler I'm so sorry. Is it a smaller school where talking in person to the admissions person might help? 

@Heffalumphttp://manflu.info/

My dad is coming over to help me with some house projects. One of the projects I probably could have done easily on my own, but apparently he didn't trust that I could do it. Lol. I definitely can't move the fridge though and hook up the water (we have to install a line first) so I'll be grateful for the help. 

This weekend we are hanging out with SO's sister and her bf Saturday night, and some point we'll go on a hike. I'd like to relax a little, too. SO is so high stress, all the time. Kitten is also starting to scratch things she shouldn't, so we might have to work on some behavior modifications too. Luckily she seems to think I am mom, so if I do something she follows suit. Yesterday I redirected her to her cardboard scratching post and she took to it right away. I hope training her stays that easy. 

• Options
    @thefanciestbeckler I'm sorry to hear about school. Hugs for you!
  • Options
    @levioosa unfortunately this school is really large, and you're more of a number to them than anything. It's in another state, too, so going in person would be difficult. There are several smaller schools in my area that I'm going to try, and one is a graduate school that is specifically designed for the degree I'm pursuing. I think I'll have a better chance of getting in there - they make admissions decisions based on more than just test scores.

• Options
    levioosa said:
    @thefanciestbeckler I'm so sorry. Is it a smaller school where talking in person to the admissions person might help? 

@Heffalumphttp://manflu.info/

My dad is coming over to help me with some house projects. One of the projects I probably could have done easily on my own, but apparently he didn't trust that I could do it. Lol. I definitely can't move the fridge though and hook up the water (we have to install a line first) so I'll be grateful for the help. 

This weekend we are hanging out with SO's sister and her bf Saturday night, and some point we'll go on a hike. I'd like to relax a little, too. SO is so high stress, all the time. Kitten is also starting to scratch things she shouldn't, so we might have to work on some behavior modifications too. Luckily she seems to think I am mom, so if I do something she follows suit. Yesterday I redirected her to her cardboard scratching post and she took to it right away. I hope training her stays that easy. 

I've read that cats don't like the smell of oranges.  There are orange smelling sprays sold at pet stores that are exactly for that reason.  Spray them on whatever you don't want your cat getting into and they will avoid it.

With that said, there have been a few times I've eaten a real orange and my cat sniffs at my fingers and licks them.  So it definitely doesn't work on all cats, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy thanks! We'll definitely have to try that.  We had the sticky tape on some stuff, but it honestly seemed to bother us more than her. Not that she was scratching our main couch like crazy to begin with, but we were trying to curb the behavior first.  Then we kept forgetting and would get stuck when we touched the arms of the couch.  

• Options
    DH and I dragged our old couch to the curb last night.  I must have wrenched my back because I was on the verge of tears at the grocery store.  It hurts so bad.

My new makeup came in the mail today.  The green concealer completely obliterated my rosacea red.  I'm so happy. 

My parents are coming over sometime this afternoon and staying for a pizza dinner.  We're supposed to go ice skating at some point this weekend.  I hope my back gets better. 
  • Options
    So crazy deal today on why getting into work was a friggen disaster.

Highway - tractor trailer wheel came off, bounced across 3 lanes of traffic OVER THE MEDIAN then into opposite side and smashed into a van wind shield. Sadly that person was D.O.A :( Other accidents on highway, causing it to close.

Main Intersection 1 - suspicious package. Closed area.

Main Intersection 2 - accident.

M said that near a main road that he had to take for detour {since he couldn't take highway} there was a medical emergency with a school bus. No accident, but ambulance was there.

Apparently it's dangerous to live in our city today :\

Sorry I haven't been back on today.

@levioosa  if she's seeing you as alpha/mom cat, that definitely helps. Penny scratches the couch {still ...} but that part she just won't stop. We have a spray of water that she gets. 95% of the time she doesn't even get sprayed, I just point it at her and we have a stand-off OK Corral style then she decides that she shouldn't.

@6fsn owch! Pinched nerve?
  • Options
    Today I had lunch with a friend whom I haven't seen since before Christmas. It was great catching up.

Tomorrow, H and I are headed to Chicago to see The Bodyguard. We are going out to dinner before the show. We are staying with DD and SIL so it will be good to see them.

@thefanciestbeckler sorry to hear about your school. Hopefully one of the others will work out.

@OliveOilsMom hope your H's tests turn out fine and that it was just the virus that caused the wonky results.

@6fsn alternating ice and heat. I have chronic back stuff. It is no fun. Heal quickly.
  • Options
    Hugs to you, @thefanciestbeckler! I'm so sorry. 

Healing vibes to you, @6fsn, and to your H, @OliveOilsMom!

Housemate and I did the grocery shopping, and the three of us are leaving for our Friday night meeting soon. 

Tomorrow, we're having a 40th birthday party for Housemate (the only thing she specified was the guest list; I did the majority of the planning with some help from FW). I learned from our previous parties to do as little cooking as possible, so I'm just making chili (meat and vegetarian) and ordering everything else. 

Sunday, I'm meeting my sponsor, then going to check out a meeting of a new Humanist group.