Chit Chat
Options

Work vent thread!

Re: Work vent thread!

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    @banana468 - THANK YOU!!  I feel like I am being soooo petty about this but it personally offends me that Coworker knows this affects my ability to park and just doesn't care.  

I stood there until supervisor instructed attendant to issue the ticket.  I went back down later and there was a ticket on Coworker's car FINALLY.  We will see what parking drama tomorrow brings!
    The problem right now I see is not just with the coworker.   It's also with the service - majorly.

If people know that they can get away with parking there without paying the fees then who in their right mind would pay the fee? 

I'm not a fan of being the abrasive one and generally opt to be the nice peacemaker but I would raise holy hell if I felt that I was being charged for something that I didn't get.    
  • Options
    @Ro041 I completely agree with you and @banana468. If I have to pay for a parking pass, then I expect that there will be a parking space for me. You are definitely not being unreasonable. 
  • Options
    @Ro041 I completely agree with you and @banana468. If I have to pay for a parking pass, then I expect that there will be a parking space for me. You are definitely not being unreasonable. 

I agree as well. We had to pay a monthly fee for parking at my old job, and it would have pissed me off so bad if one of my coworkers was parking in the lot without paying and receiving no consequences. Good for you for speaking up @Ro041!

• Options
    @Ro041 does this mean you are going to keep us updated when coworker throws a BF?
  • Options

Your annoyance with the parking, @Ro041, is totally understandable.  It would be one thing if there was plenty of parking available for people who do pay.  Still annoying but, if it didn't directly affect me, I wouldn't have said anything.  But if I'm regularly not being able to use a service I am paying for, I would have raised a stink also.

At my current job, we have to pay $35/month for parking.  But everyone who pays has a specific assigned spot.  I'm so glad about that or I'm sure there would be a lot of interlopers also.

My work vent for the day is the big boss came in and bitched to me about something he said I'm running "really late" on.  Basically, entering client hours from timesheets into a database.  Um, what?  I've never been told a timeframe.  The soonest I could have done it was last Thursday, except I wasn't at work.  Plus people always bring me changes anyway, so I usually wait a couple days.  Fridays are my half day and I'm already busy with end of week stuff.  Today was really the soonest I could have done this task anyway.  Whatever.  It seems like he is generally in a bad mood today and I think I just got caught in other crossfire.

I don't want to approach him today, but I'll be doing this same task two-ish weeks from now.  As it gets closer to next time, I'm going to be proactive and get more clarification on when this info needs to be entered from the end of the pay period.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My work vent today is my co-worker and open houses in general (I work at a university). So I'm one of three advisors in the office, but I have a specialty that requires I don't do general advising, and just this special area. I'm also new, I just started in August. 

Every year there are open houses, there are no lists of when they are and what I'm required to be at. So, she emails Friday afternoon asking/telling me when I have to be there and that I have to find students to attend this, too. No, you can't demand something on Friday for Monday morning, it doesn't work that way. Plus I have classes (we don't have today off), and other work, so if you want something like this planned you need to give me more than a weekend (in which I was out of town) to arrange it. 
  • Options

To add to my work woes, today they announced they are considering changing the third hospital go-live date to December 2, rather than the February of next year that everyone has been throwing around. I get married Oct. 28, with the honeymoon Nov. 5th week. If they finalize December 2, they'll block PTO in Nov, which means it will be a full year with no PTO. Also, I found out today that other people on different teams (clinical so higher impact) have requested and received approval for an entire week off (1 in April, and 1 in May). It appears that it's just my director holding our PTO approval hostage.

I started looking for other jobs today. They can't control my entire life for another year. It's inhumane.

Ro041 - How did it go today? Anyone in your spot?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cowgirl8238cowgirl8238 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2017

My work vent for today:  My company assists another agency to take in and find articles, then generate a quarterly newsletter that is sent out to a group of professionals throughout our state within our industry.  This newsletter is edited by me.

There is a review committee that will review the newsletter once I have completed the newsletter.  Following the past two issues of the newsletter a particular member has come back complaining of an article (or two) that were included and asking they be removed.  This isn't a huge deal but it can be time consuming depending on the layout of the newsletter.  (Sometimes an hour or more!)  To combat this problem I decided to put together a "rough draft" that is basically just the articles to be included.  I sent it out at the beginning of the month and I received an "all good" from said committee member (and all the others).  Today I sent out the final version after putting hours of work into it and I get a "I don't think article 'X' fits the goal of our organization and it needs to be pulled"  SERIOUSLY?!?!  Why did I even bother to send out a rough draft if you were just going to ignore it anyway!!!! 

Besides the article in question is about legislation that was passed in our neighboring state, and while I agree it isn't the best news for the industry "aka not what they want to see passed in this state" I still feel it is valid to include.  But why wait until the final draft to say something! GAH!

ETF...wording was wonky!

• Options

To add to my work woes, today they announced they are considering changing the third hospital go-live date to December 2, rather than the February of next year that everyone has been throwing around. I get married Oct. 28, with the honeymoon Nov. 5th week. If they finalize December 2, they'll block PTO in Nov, which means it will be a full year with no PTO. Also, I found out today that other people on different teams (clinical so higher impact) have requested and received approval for an entire week off (1 in April, and 1 in May). It appears that it's just my director holding our PTO approval hostage.

I started looking for other jobs today. They can't control my entire life for another year. It's inhumane.

Ro041 - How did it go today? Anyone in your spot?

That is insane! 
  • Options
    @OurWildKingdom - that is awful.  I literally cannot imagine not getting PTO!  

I am not back at work until Thursday, but I am hopeful I have a place to park when I get there.  *eyeroll*

• Options
    My now H quit his job because they wouldn't let him use his PTO. Basically, they didn't have the staffing they needed because their pay sucked. They paid way lower than just about anyone in town so they had a hard time keeping people. The nice thing was he could have all the overtime he wanted. Anyway, so he was planning to go on vacation with me and my family back when we were dating and meet my family. He had all the PTO he needed saved up, but they wouldn't let him take it because they were so short staffed. It had been an ongoing issue and they sucked as a company, so he quit and told them his last day was the day before vacation. 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    I have a Eddie Haskel-like 20-something year old guy working for me.  He honestly looks at me as some middle aged woman he can charm his way around.     Dude, this is job is not my first rodeo. Restaurants can attract some questionable people sometimes.  I know we have quite a few people who have probation officers.

I know you do drugs outside of work. I know when you are hungover. I can tell when you are feeding me a line of BS.  I can google to see why you have a probation officer.  

I know you didn't have the flu on Friday when you called out.    How do I know you didn't have the flu?  5-6 of your roommates work at the restaurant too.  They talk.  Not always directly to me, but to each other where I can overhear.   Oh and if you can't call me directly to call off of work because you have no money for minutes on your phone, umm IDK? How about WORKING to get some money?   In the last week you have called off work twice and begged us to send you home because you had to see your probation officer.  YOU ONLY WORK 3 DAYS A WEEK.

He told the owners he has a problem with me as his manager.  Yeah he does.    You only work from 11 until 3:30-4pm.   Why do you need to take so many breaks?

The other managers want him fired also.  Not sure why the owners are holding out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

@lyndausvi, What?!?! You expect this poor boy to work 15 hours/week on three separate days! That's a tough gig, lol. OMG, seriously? I'd feel like I retired if I only had to work 15 hours/week.

I know right?  I leave my house at 5:50 am.  I get to the snowmobiles at 6:45am and clocked in by 7am.  He lives at the base of the lifts.  I'm at work a full 4 hours before he shows up.

If he wants free lunch he need to be there by 10:30am.   I get my lunch after 2pm.  

I leave between 3:45-4:15pm.  Always a good 30-45 minutes AFTER he does.  

I work 5 days a week.  He works 3.

I'm also old enough to be his parents and run circles around him.   Yet I'm the unreasonable one who thinks he shouldn't take multiple breaks between 12-1:30 because it's the busiest time at the restaurant.

Oh and we all get a FREE unlimited ski pass.  Market value is $2400.  It gives you unlimited access to 4 mountains for the season.  You must work a minimum of 3 days a week and  the pass is revoked if you quit or are fired.    We also have access to your pass log.  We have caught people calling in "sick" only to find out they were skiing instead.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

@lyndausvi, What?!?! You expect this poor boy to work 15 hours/week on three separate days! That's a tough gig, lol. OMG, seriously? I'd feel like I retired if I only had to work 15 hours/week.

I know right?  I leave my house at 5:50 am.  I get to the snowmobiles at 6:45am and clocked in by 7am.  He lives at the base of the lifts.  I'm at work a full 4 hours before he shows up.

If he wants free lunch he need to be there by 10:30am.   I get my lunch after 2pm.  

I'm also old enough to be his parents and run circles around him.   Yet I'm the unreasonable one who thinks he shouldn't take multiple breaks between 12-1:30 because it's the busiest time at the restaurant.

Oh and we all get a FREE unlimited ski pass.  Market value is $2400.  It gives you unlimited access to 4 mountains for the season.  You must work a minimum of 3 days a week and  the pass is revoked if you quit or are fired.    We also have access to your pass log.  We have caught people calling in "sick" only to find out they were skiing instead.

Ah!  I see then.  Sounds like he doesn't want a job at all, but "had to" in order to get the free ski pass.  That's a nice perk!  Hilarious it is so easy to "bust" people when they're skiing instead of working.

Crazy!  When I was a server in a restaurant, our "breaks" were a few minutes snatched here and there IF our section was down to a dull roar.  We'd take a few bites of whatever meal we'd ordered that was now cold.  Smokers could go out back for a cig.  And, really, the last thing you wanted was "official breaks" or "lunch".  Because 90% of your income was tips and your section isn't being seated if you're on lunch/dinner.  And, unless a server was working a double, it's not like you're there for an 8 hour day anyway. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

Ah!  I see then.  Sounds like he doesn't want a job at all, but "had to" in order to get the free ski pass.  That's a nice perk!  Hilarious it is so easy to "bust" people when they're skiing instead of working.

Crazy!  When I was a server in a restaurant, our "breaks" were a few minutes snatched here and there IF our section was down to a dull roar.  We'd take a few bites of whatever meal we'd ordered that was now cold.  Smokers could go out back for a cig.  And, really, the last thing you wanted was "official breaks" or "lunch".  Because 90% of your income was tips and your section isn't being seated if you're on lunch/dinner.  And, unless a server was working a double, it's not like you're there for an 8 hour day anyway. 

Sounds like my days substitute teaching! 
  • Options

lyndausvi said:
    I have a Eddie Haskel-like 20-something year old guy working for me.  He honestly looks at me as some middle aged woman he can charm his way around.     Dude, this is job is not my first rodeo. Restaurants can attract some questionable people sometimes.  I know we have quite a few people who have probation officers.

I know you do drugs outside of work. I know when you are hungover. I can tell when you are feeding me a line of BS.  I can google to see why you have a probation officer.  

I know you didn't have the flu on Friday when you called out.    How do I know you didn't have the flu?  5-6 of your roommates work at the restaurant too.  They talk.  Not always directly to me, but to each other where I can overhear.   Oh and if you can't call me directly to call off of work because you have no money for minutes on your phone, umm IDK? How about WORKING to get some money?   In the last week you have called off work twice and begged us to send you home because you had to see your probation officer.  YOU ONLY WORK 3 DAYS A WEEK.

He told the owners he has a problem with me as his manager.  Yeah he does.    You only work from 11 until 3:30-4pm.   Why do you need to take so many breaks?

The other managers want him fired also.  Not sure why the owners are holding out.

Totally get this. I used to work at a restaurant, and most of the people there were...questionable.

An update on mine - yes, I'm completely fed up. I am actively searching for new jobs, and I plan to leave after the first go-live. Yesterday sealed the deal for me, because of a little boy's club they got going on. The two guys on my team often do not complete their work, and our consultants (two men who are buddy-buddy with them - going out to lunch together, hanging out etc) just reassign all of their work to me and the other female, because we'll actually complete it. It was starting to get on my nerves, but yesterday they escalated to assigning other teams' work to me because they skipped validation and sign off steps, and now want me to build a "rigged fix" using my team's separate tools and system. So, yeah, I'm done. I'll leave as soon as I have that first go-live to pad my resume.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Best of luck job-hunting, @KnotYetTied! You need to get out of there fast!
  • Options
    Yeesh, @KnotYetTied that really sucks! Good for you getting out of there - and after your go live sounds like a great plan! 

In the meantime, is this something these guys are allowed to do? Not only giving you and the other woman on your team their work, but also assigning other teams' work to you? Unacceptable! Do you have a boss? If so, are they aware of what is going on?
  • Options
    My department secretary is bad/really doesn't care about her job. I'm doing my first travel reimbursement and before I travel I asked her specifically what I needed to get reimbursed, I save all the receipts and when I return ask specifically what she needs to process everything. She tells me basic receipts, great hand them in think everything is fine. A week later she is still processing them and the request gets sent back because she entered info in wrong, okay she fixes it. Then it gets sent back because it doesn't back have the right receipt (even though I asked specifically what needed to Ben on it), fine get a new one. It just got sent back again because it wasn't right! I'm so annoyed. I asked repeatedly what needed to be included to have things processed correctly, multiple times, and she keeps telling me the wrong thing. And she processes donzens of these a year so it's not like it's something new. I want my damn money. 
  • Options
    My department secretary is bad/really doesn't care about her job. I'm doing my first travel reimbursement and before I travel I asked her specifically what I needed to get reimbursed, I save all the receipts and when I return ask specifically what she needs to process everything. She tells me basic receipts, great hand them in think everything is fine. A week later she is still processing them and the request gets sent back because she entered info in wrong, okay she fixes it. Then it gets sent back because it doesn't back have the right receipt (even though I asked specifically what needed to Ben on it), fine get a new one. It just got sent back again because it wasn't right! I'm so annoyed. I asked repeatedly what needed to be included to have things processed correctly, multiple times, and she keeps telling me the wrong thing. And she processes donzens of these a year so it's not like it's something new. I want my damn money. 

Sounds like Concur could be your company's new friend.   I take pictures of my receipts with my phone!
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Sounds like Concur could be your company's new friend.   I take pictures of my receipts with my phone!
    That would so effing nice, but getting a university to adopt a new system (any new system) would require an act of gods and possibly state legislation. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I'm having my first run-in with Concur with my new job, I don't know how I feel about it yet!
  • Options
    justsie said:
    banana468 said:

I'm having my first run-in with Concur with my new job, I don't know how I feel about it yet!

Maybe it has to do with how each company works it but I love it.   I scan my monthly receipts and the reimbursement is added to the next direct deposit.   That's GREAT when I have to make trips and just convenient when I'm simply submitting my cell and internet expenses.  Since it's all all out of pocket until I'm paid, I like that I have the money in hand before my CC is due.    
  • Options
    @banana468 at my last place where travel was required we received a check for all estimated expenses and if we didn't use them we just got to keep the remainder- so right now I'm just missing that benefit mainly :)
  • Options

On the subject of expense reports, I used to process them for my team when I worked for a defense contractor.  Except for meals, because people were just paid per diem for wherever they were, we needed receipts for EVERYTHING.

I had one employee who didn't turn in a $3 receipt for a toll, because he hadn't gotten one.  I tried to slide it in for him.  When our client (the Navy) got our invoice, their accounting manager called me to her office looking for that $3 receipt, lol.  I cannot make this stuff up.  She begrudgingly accepted it when I explained, "Well, it was for a toll, they didn't give him a receipt."

When they were overseas, trips that lasted for 6+ weeks, I would have to use a historical foreign exchange website to turn their expenses into US dollars for the appropriate exchange rate...for that specific day...for EVERY.SINGLE.DAY of their trip!  Good times, good times, lol.

Some of those trips were also across the International Dateline.  On my first one, I had to dig deep to find the official guidelines for that situation.

So, @charlotte989875, I of all people am seriously side-eyeing your dept. secretary!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeesh, @KnotYetTied that really sucks! Good for you getting out of there - and after your go live sounds like a great plan! 

In the meantime, is this something these guys are allowed to do? Not only giving you and the other woman on your team their work, but also assigning other teams' work to you? Unacceptable! Do you have a boss? If so, are they aware of what is going on?

My boss knows and is upset. However, the boss of the other team refuses to do anything about it, and they need the build to fix their issues. At this point, they'd rather I do it then it get messed up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

So every fourth week is extra crazy at my job for the secretaries at my job.  There is certain paperwork that has to be done by the Friday of that week, and there is a rush by the attorneys to get cases indicted by the end of the week, etc.  Basically everything given to the ladies this week is needed ASAP and can't wait until Monday.  This week is particularly crazy because they are down a secretary, and there are two in a different area who aren't covering their work, so the main girls are picking up that work too.  There are three secretaries that do all of my work for me.  They are awesome.  I could tell that this week has been extra stressful for them so at lunch I ran to the grocery store and grabbed them each a little bouquet of flowers and wrote them a note to let them know that they are appreciated.

From my office I can hear that chatter in their room (they sit together).  A secretary from a different area, who doesn't do any work for me, came down and was b*itching that they got flowers and she didn't get any.  She even pulled a "must be nice." 

I'm annoyed. . . . .you try to do something to brighten someone's day, and someone like that makes it awkward.