Wedding Woes
Options

NextDoor again

Saw this in my e-mail but the post was already removed. 

"2 Black males walking down [street]

My husband was putting things in this car this morning when he saw 2 black men walking down [street]. When they saw him, they turned and started walking quickly towards him so he just came back in the house. He locked his car and when he went back out he didn't see them. Called the non emergency line but just want everyone to be aware this morning."

I guess it's good to know who the racists are in the neighborhood? 

(I don't get this at all - our neighborhood is racially diverse, in the suburbs of a very diverse city. We had a different person post last week about seeing a Hispanic woman through her front door camera and calling the non-emergency line - you know, rather than answering the door and at least seeing what she wanted.)

Re: NextDoor again

• Options
    My Nextdoor is so racist I almost don't want to part of it. Every time there is something sketchy, it ALWAYS has a racial undertone, and then people comment about "thugs" and "transients" and "people needing to go back to where they came from." It's sickening. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2017
    I joined Nextdoor today and the first post I saw is about people hearing gunshots yesterday. 

Honestly, my area has enough rural parts still and people who own acreage, that hearing shooting isn't that uncommon.  I know of quite a few people who've talked about target practicing on their property or they know someone who does. 

Also, this weekend someone posted in the FB group for my town whining about the $70M improvements that are planned for 'downtown' (there's really no square or anything...just a street corner) and how it's 'taking money away' from fire/police/etc and how we're not trying to be like '(ritziest town around)' and we just want to be a small town and wah, wah, wah.   People were quick to point out the only commitment from the town was a parking garage for $4M, the bulk of the $70M is from investors and we'll get a huge tax boost Plus, that they've increased salaries/spending on public service.  From there it devolved into a 'you move', 'no, YOU MOVE!' fight.  Also, my town has made no secret about wanting to become the first city in the county.  So...yeah. Again, I want to watch the train wreck and hide from it at the same time.  

A high percentage of the are is white...so this is peak white people problems.
  • Options
    I haven't joined NextDoor - and to protect my mental health and blood pressure I'm not sure I am going to sign up. And these stories just make me depressed for humanity. 
  • Options

I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't seen a racist post on NextDoor.  There's a lot of racism in NOLA, though it goes both ways.

I live on a quiet street and am suspicious of anyone I don't recognize.  Doesn't matter what their race is.  But I don't call the police, unless I specifically sketchy actions.

Speaking of, I had a weird incident the other day.  Three boys on bikes (ages 7-12) were in front of a neighbor's house.  I was just coming home from a half-day at work (I park across the street) and there was no one around.  They saw me pull my car over and were slowly riding their bikes down to meet wherever I stopped.  They asked if I knew when "person's name I don't recognize" was going to be home and pointed to the house they were in front of.

I apologized and told them I didn't know who lived there or anything about that person.  Then the oldest one asked if he could use my phone to call his mom.  I hate to be paranoid with a child, but I pulled my phone out and asked for the number.  I wasn't giving him my phone.  Then I dialed it.  It went directly to voice mail.  Told the kid that, then his friend asked me to call his mom.  That number didn't work either.

I started getting a bad vibe and told them I was sorry I couldn't help them, but needed to get going with my day.  One of them asked if he could have some water.  I told him sorry, no.  Then one asked if I had a dog.  I said I did and then he asked if he could play with it.  I told him, sorry, I needed to get going and started walking up the steps to my porch.  They start becoming frantic and keep calling out, "Can I please have some water?"  and "Can I please play with your dog?"

I know they were kids, but I was a bit shaken up and a little freaked out when I finally got safely into my house.  Their behavior in the end turned super odd and sketchy.  There isn't a doubt in my mind they were trying to steal my phone and/or were up to some other no good.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I'll be thankful that our Nextdoor is mostly full of people complaining about the roads in some way, shape or form (the bridge is wrong, the plowing is bad, the roads are too icy, etc) or they lost a pet. 
  • Options

We have a lot of crazy people on my NextDoor. I can't read the majority of the posts because they get me all mad.

BUT. My favorite one thus far was titled "Stolen Dinosaur!!!". This lady apparently had some kind of decorative T-Rex in her yard (wtf?) and it was stolen. People probably got tired of looking at that hideous thing.

• Options

The main topic right now for my NextDoor is the trash cans are being replaced.  Some people, like me, have new trash cans, but they didn't take away the old ones.  Some people had the old ones taken away...but still don't have the new ones.  So they have no trash cans, smh.

Basically, your typical NOLA administrative FUBAR (f**ked up beyond all recognition).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't seen a racist post on NextDoor.  There's a lot of racism in NOLA, though it goes both ways.

I live on a quiet street and am suspicious of anyone I don't recognize.  Doesn't matter what their race is.  But I don't call the police, unless I specifically sketchy actions.

Speaking of, I had a weird incident the other day.  Three boys on bikes (ages 7-12) were in front of a neighbor's house.  I was just coming home from a half-day at work (I park across the street) and there was no one around.  They saw me pull my car over and were slowly riding their bikes down to meet wherever I stopped.  They asked if I knew when "person's name I don't recognize" was going to be home and pointed to the house they were in front of.

I apologized and told them I didn't know who lived there or anything about that person.  Then the oldest one asked if he could use my phone to call his mom.  I hate to be paranoid with a child, but I pulled my phone out and asked for the number.  I wasn't giving him my phone.  Then I dialed it.  It went directly to voice mail.  Told the kid that, then his friend asked me to call his mom.  That number didn't work either.

I started getting a bad vibe and told them I was sorry I couldn't help them, but needed to get going with my day.  One of them asked if he could have some water.  I told him sorry, no.  Then one asked if I had a dog.  I said I did and then he asked if he could play with it.  I told him, sorry, I needed to get going and started walking up the steps to my porch.  They start becoming frantic and keep calling out, "Can I please have some water?"  and "Can I please play with your dog?"

I know they were kids, but I was a bit shaken up and a little freaked out when I finally got safely into my house.  Their behavior in the end turned super odd and sketchy.  There isn't a doubt in my mind they were trying to steal my phone and/or were up to some other no good.

I wouldn't be weirded out but I would be irked. Like ... you said no more than once. Kids need to back off.
  • Options
    Our NextDoor is pretty much Steve Anderson offering to give piano lessons and then people asking for referrals. 

I don't answer the door if I don't know the person. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:

That's fine, but I'm guessing you don't call the cops, either. 
  • Options
    I was outside the other day gardening when some Jehovah's Witnesses came up to my door. They didn't see me and I literally ran behind our gate to hide. My dad had just gotten to the house and he was all "what are you doing?" And I was like "stfu, we don't have time for this." I really want a new door with a peep hole. Right now our door has frosted glass, so you can't really see in or out, but you can tell if there's someone standing in front of it, which makes me uncomfortable. 

• Options
    *Barbie* said:
    6fsn said:

True.  I just shout out that I'm not interested then they go away. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    *Barbie* said:
    6fsn said:

but what if it's girl scout cookies .... #thinmints
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    6fsn said:

Haha, I almost did once.  Like a lot of PPs, I also don't answer the door if I'm not expecting someone and don't know who is knocking.

I once had a guy knocking at my door for almost 10 minutes.  He peeked inside my window and tried waving at me.  Nope.  Didn't even make eye contact. Ignored him completely.  But started becoming concerned when it was going on for so long and, dude, I'm obviously not answering the door.  So why are you still here?

I was just contemplating getting my phone to call the police, when my H (who was in the backyard), walked up the side of the house to talk to the guy.  The guy was selling cheap-a** "dollar store" crap.  Like stuffed animals, various plastic "widgets", etc.

On the "almost" calling the police, I looked at it like, "Maybe he's knocking so long because he is in some kind of distress.  Police are the perfect people to help."  Or he's harmless, but annoying me, and needs to leave.  Or he's nefarious and up to something.  Great!  Police are perfect for both of those scenarios also.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    *Barbie* said:
    6fsn said:

Girl scouts no.  I do answer for the band/drama kids that come around for donations.  There's a fb heads up they are coming though. 

• Options
    Someone else posted yesterday about a "celebration" at their LDS church and how everyone was welcome to come check it out. Maybe the Mormon missionaries got in trouble for walking the neighborhood so they figured this was a better tactic?
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I joined Nextdoor today and the first post I saw is about people hearing gunshots yesterday. 

Honestly, my area has enough rural parts still and people who own acreage, that hearing shooting isn't that uncommon.  I know of quite a few people who've talked about target practicing on their property or they know someone who does. 

Also, this weekend someone posted in the FB group for my town whining about the $70M improvements that are planned for 'downtown' (there's really no square or anything...just a street corner) and how it's 'taking money away' from fire/police/etc and how we're not trying to be like '(ritziest town around)' and we just want to be a small town and wah, wah, wah.   People were quick to point out the only commitment from the town was a parking garage for $4M, the bulk of the $70M is from investors and we'll get a huge tax boost Plus, that they've increased salaries/spending on public service.  From there it devolved into a 'you move', 'no, YOU MOVE!' fight.  Also, my town has made no secret about wanting to become the first city in the county.  So...yeah. Again, I want to watch the train wreck and hide from it at the same time.  

I thought you lived in Indy?
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I thought you lived in Indy?
    I do.  West suburbs.  The area I'm in is borderline country.  We are on over an acre, as are the two houses next to us.  Behind us is a McMansion neighborhood.  Across the street, everyone has 5+ acreage for the most part, with wooded lots and nothing backing up to them.  Our neighbors across the street shoot occasionally in the spring/summer.  

There are neighborhoods starting to crop up on our county rd, but you only have to drive ~5 miles to be in the country-country. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    *Barbie* said:
    6fsn said:

Buffy can set you up :pensive:

My evil cat tried to eat JW's this week.  again.  

• Options
    OK, so someone on NextDoor reported that their battery got stolen from their car.  Carol left the following, very helpful comment (spelling and grammar are all hers):
    Well whatever you do, don't bother calling any of the "Brand-aids" call a social worker or another trained professional to see why someone would steel a car battery.  If you do call one of the "Band-aids" and they catch this poor misunderstood person with a mental health issue, the judges will have him back on the street before the ink on the paperwork is dry.

Another commenter said, "Too funny Carol."  

What the hell am I missing?!?!?!  

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    OK, so someone on NextDoor reported that their battery got stolen from their car.  Carol left the following, very helpful comment (spelling and grammar are all hers):
    Well whatever you do, don't bother calling any of the "Brand-aids" call a social worker or another trained professional to see why someone would steel a car battery.  If you do call one of the "Band-aids" and they catch this poor misunderstood person with a mental health issue, the judges will have him back on the street before the ink on the paperwork is dry.

Another commenter said, "Too funny Carol."  

What the hell am I missing?!?!?!  
    I'm guessing it was supposed to be sarcastic?
  • Options
    There's now a facebook thread about a couple of dogs umping a 6' fence.  The owner is apologetic and asking for suggestions and id an FYI "yelling might make the dogs react more so even if you're upset it might make it worse."  Someone replied "if you don't like dogs you shouldn't be outside.  Shame on the person yelling."  Head tilt.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2017
    more excitement!!!

ok, so there was some legit excitement, so maybe a better comment would be "now with 50% more overreaction!!!"

a couple of hours ago, we got a call and an e-mail from Wolverine's school (it was a recorded message) saying that due to police activity in the area, the school and a nearby middle school had been placed on lockdown. the children were safe, there was no cause for worry, the schools were fine, but this is being done as a precaution and at request of police. 

i picked up the phone to get the message and before i had even hung up there was an "URGENT ALERT" post from NextDoor all "ZOMG!!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING AT ELE SCHOOL? MY KID GOES THERE!!! I WORK AN HOUR AWAY!!! WON"T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN? I NEED TO BE THERE NOW!"

There was a second post about "OMG, WHY ARE THERE HELICOPTERS?!"

I haven't ventured over (I'm WFH today) but we live like .5mi from the school by road, (and even closer cross-lot) and I hadn't even heard the helicopters or sirens.

apparently the police were chasing someone, he crashed the car near the elem school, and took off. there are varying reports (some said more than 1 suspect, some said the car was stolen, others said the guy was caught B&E) - the kids were never in any danger. i'm not sure what crazy lady was expecting to do if she worked closer - but i feel like whatever it was would have been detrimental to the police trying to do their jobs. 

• Options
    *Barbie* said:
    more excitement!!!

ok, so there was some legit excitement, so maybe a better comment would be "now with 50% more overreaction!!!"

a couple of hours ago, we got a call and an e-mail from Wolverine's school (it was a recorded message) saying that due to police activity in the area, the school and a nearby middle school had been placed on lockdown. the children were safe, there was no cause for worry, the schools were fine, but this is being done as a precaution and at request of police. 

i picked up the phone to get the message and before i had even hung up there was an "URGENT ALERT" post from NextDoor all "ZOMG!!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING AT ELE SCHOOL? MY KID GOES THERE!!! I WORK AN HOUR AWAY!!! WON"T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN? I NEED TO BE THERE NOW!"

There was a second post about "OMG, WHY ARE THERE HELICOPTERS?!"

I haven't ventured over (I'm WFH today) but we live like .5mi from the school by road, (and even closer cross-lot) and I hadn't even heard the helicopters or sirens.

apparently the police were chasing someone, he crashed the car near the elem school, and took off. there are varying reports (some said more than 1 suspect, some said the car was stolen, others said the guy was caught B&E) - the kids were never in any danger. i'm not sure what crazy lady was expecting to do if she worked closer - but i feel like whatever it was would have been detrimental to the police trying to do their jobs. 

I can get being concerned if you get a notice of "school on lock down" and no information, but that's a tad dramatic .... I would probably post something like "anyone else affected by the kids on lock down? What's happening?"
  • Options
    we got an all clear e-mail from the school/ saw a news story that it was a B&E with 3 suspects. 1 was caught at the scene, others were being hunted near school. i guess they got them otherwise school wouldn't have given the all clear.