Wedding Woes
Options

Ha.....

I just went on my online banking account and saw a charge for a shoe store. You know I was thinking, "Oh Snap."

Looked in my wallet and I have my sister's debit card and she has mine. They are both the same color.

I just sent her a text, "STOP SHOPPING!!!!!!"

Re: Ha.....

• Options
    ooops.
  • Options
    Well technically they are your shoes ;)
  • Options
    Echoing PPs - are they cute? Do you wear the same size? 
  • Options
    Hahahahaha! Glad you caught that before she spent more!

• Options
    Don't you have to use a PIN number for your debit and credit cards in store? Or did she tap?
  • Options
    I think if you punch credit then you just sign.
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Don't you have to use a PIN number for your debit and credit cards in store? Or did she tap?

Oh...no, no, no.  We are still Neanderthals in the US who, finally got chip credit cards after the rest of the world did 5 10 years ago, but you still don't have to use a pin for them.  So they really aren't any more secure than the non-chip cards.

Even debit cards, as long as it has a M/C or Visa logo, can be used like a credit card without entering a pin.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Oh...no, no, no.  We are still Neanderthals in the US who, finally got chip credit cards after the rest of the world did 5 years ago, but you still don't have to use a pin for them.  So they really aren't any more secure than the non-chip cards.

Even debit cards, as long as it has a M/C or Visa logo, can be used like a credit card without entering a pin.

I haven't signed for a credit card in 10 years. Weird. Our Visa debits and our credit cards all have chips and all require PINs. You can tap up to $30, but I don't recall signing a credit card purchase in many, many years.
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017

Oh...no, no, no.  We are still Neanderthals in the US who, finally got chip credit cards after the rest of the world did 5 years ago, but you still don't have to use a pin for them.  So they really aren't any more secure than the non-chip cards.

I haven't signed for a credit card in 10 years. Weird. Our Visa debits and our credit cards all have chips and all require PINs. You can tap up to $30, but I don't recall signing a credit card purchase in many, many years.

Based on your post, I edited mine to reflect it has been 10 years since the rest of the world got chip cards.

Chip cards have only come out here over the last year.  It's shocking to me we're so late to this major security feature.  The next step will be pin numbers for them, but we aren't there yet.

In fact, I've heard in Europe, Americans are pretty much SOL if they bring a card that doesn't have a chip.  Those are years outdated and nobody can take them anymore.  I had a friend who recently went to Rome and, although her cc card had a chip, she couldn't use the card at any of the unmanned kiosks for subway/train tickets, because she needed to enter a pin also.  Except a pin doesn't exist for it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Based on your post, I edited mine to reflect it has been 10 years since the rest of the world got chip cards.

Chip cards have only come out here over the last year.  It's shocking to me we're so late to this major security feature.  The next step will be pin numbers for them, but we aren't there yet.

In fact, I've heard in Europe, Americans are pretty much SOL if they bring a card that doesn't have a chip.  Those are years outdated and nobody can take them anymore.  I had a friend who recently went to Rome and, although her cc card had a chip, she couldn't use the card at any of the unmanned kiosks for subway/train tickets, because she needed to enter a pin also.  Except a pin doesn't exist for it. 

We were recently in Italy and had no trouble purchasing items at a store or paying for food in a restaurant. We have a chip but no pin. Even though we had a chip, we didn't have to insert it differently like we do in the US. We didn't try to purchase tickets in an unmanned kiosk so don't know about that.
  • Options
    pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited February 2017
    My DD used her chip card all over Europe last year with no issues.

I have done the same thing with a friend of mine Nola.  We were at TGI Fridays for lunch while shopping at Christmas.  We left there and each made a couple of purchases before we realized the waitress had mixed up our cards!
  • Options

Most, if not all, my cards have the chip.  But I still sign for all of them.  Only when choosing "debit" do I need a pin number.  I'd actually LOVE it if all debit or credit transactions were with a pin code.  It's way to easy to sign anything.  No cashier looks.

@nolabridesmaid, that is a funny story though!  glad you caught it now! LOL