Wedding Woes
Options

Stop making it your circus and your monkeys

Dear Prudence,
My cousin is a single mother who needs rides everywhere. She has to take two buses just to get to the grocery store (with a toddler in tow), and that’s both time- and cost-prohibitive for her. In theory, I don’t mind helping occasionally, and I’m not going to let her go without food or diapers. But I work full time and have a busy life of my own, and I dread getting unexpected texts to drive her to the grocery store after a long day of work and a commute of my own. My mother is the only other person who can help, but she often demurs, which frustrates me because she doesn’t work and has more time to help. My cousin and I recently agreed on a set day each week where I’ll take her to the store, but yesterday she needed a ride on our “off” day and Mom refused to take her, even though she was going shopping anyway. I was in tears at work arguing with my mother about it. The hardest part is I feel like no one does anything nice—or anything at all—for me. I work and pay bills, loan money out, drive people around, bring my mom candy or dessert or leftovers when I go out (to the point that she gets angry if I don’t bring her anything). I’ll probably get a cake on my birthday in a couple of weeks and that’s pretty much it. I fantasize about moving far away so I won’t be available to them. I guess there are a couple of issues here and I’ve made a much overdue appointment with a therapist but was wondering if you have any advice on how to handle all of this. How do I start putting myself first when others constantly need or want something from me?

—Needy Family

Re: Stop making it your circus and your monkeys

• Options
    I'm with Atomic. I don't know why LW can't just tell her family no. It's not wrong to need and want time to yourself.

• Options
    Yep. I think "no" is just the solution. 
  • Options
    My first thought was maybe she should pay for cousin to take an Uber/Lyft to the store and then pay for it home.  That way, she isn't forced to use her valuable time running Cousin's errands.  But, that would probably get costly pretty fast, so it might not be the best solution.  

And I agree with @OliveOilsMom that Mom is a bitch.

• Options
    Letters like this make me tear my hair out.

Dear LW,  
    Get off the cross
    Grow a spine 
    Learn to say no

You are not a victim, you are a volunter.
    YES!  
  • Options
    I kind of disagree about Mom being a bitch; she doesn't have to help the cousin if she doesn't want. Maybe this is cold-hearted but the cousin's situation is unsustainable, and it's not on the LW or other family members to make it work. 

I totally agree with the set appointment and/Amazon Prime, but also with sticking to that schedule. Either cousin moves, finds a way to get around, schedules appointments/trips when LW offers to be available, and I know that's far easier said that done, but something has to give.
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    Her mom sounds like a bitch. 
    I only thought this when LW said the mom gets angry if she's not given leftovers.  Otherwise it sounds like the mother has boundaries set up, which I think it important.  

• Options
    The bitch comment was about the leftovers not the helping cousin.  
  • Options
    Prudie could answer so many of these simply with "Boundaries are your friend." or "Use your words."
  • Options
    ya know, the multiple busses things is TOTES a real problem and a common one w/ public transport, but, the 'dial a ride' type services are not supremely awesomely convenient, but most places with public transport have them.
    Maybe cousin needs to make a few more phone calls to expand her plan b's
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    ya know, the multiple busses things is TOTES a real problem and a common one w/ public transport, but, the 'dial a ride' type services are not supremely awesomely convenient, but most places with public transport have them.
    Maybe cousin needs to make a few more phone calls to expand her plan b's
    We are super lucky to live in an area with a lot of grocery options that we can get to on foot. Neither FI or I drive (me for medical reasons, FI because he's a city kid and didn't need to). However, if we lived where I worked, it would be a pain to get groceries because I'm work in a food desert. I can't just pop out at lunch to grab groceries because there's no where around to do that. I only work 20 minutes from where I live. 

I'm not justifying the cousin, I'm just saying, I understand. Personally I think the LW needs to tell people "no" too.
  • Options
    I'm with Atomic. I don't know why LW can't just tell her family no. It's not wrong to need and want time to yourself.
    Unfortunately, there are some families and even cultures where, "No" is considered a four-letter word. I can understand LW's resentment.

That said, I do agree that LW and cousin need to stick to the planned day for driving. I would also suggest that LW get some counseling to learn how to set boundaries. It's not that simple if you're not used to doing it.

True. You make a great point @OurWildKingdom. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping family out in times of need. But it sounds like in this situation some boundaries should be in place at the very least, like you mentioned.