Wedding Reception Forum

Babysitter

So let me start out by saying that we are very happy that so many of our friends and family are wanting to come to our wedding. We are anticipating about 200 people but haven't got the rsvps back yet. Everyone is allowed a plus one and everyone's kids are invited. I got a request from one of the out of town guests asking for recommendations for a babysitter to pick up their kids halfway through the reception and babysit them so the parents could party and go out to the bars after the reception. I do not have any kids myself so I don't have any experience with babysitters. Also most of the people I know in the area are invited to the wedding. 

Here's my question: should I feel any kind of responsibility to help this person out? Honestly I would try to help if I had experience or knew any babysitters but I'd hate to help find someone and then something go wrong. Plus I've already got a lot of other things on my plate (planning a wedding and all). What do you all think? 

Re: Babysitter

• Do you belong to a church or other house of worship in the area? If so, check with the youth group. There maybe teenagers willing to babysit. If not, I agree with PPs to suggest care.com.
  • It would be nice if you could help out- great suggestions above, if belong to any groups- but if you don't know anyone, I wouldn't make suggests just for the sake of trying to help. As you said, if you don't know them, don't vouch for them as a good option.
  • SP29 said:
    It would be nice if you could help out- great suggestions above, if belong to any groups- but if you don't know anyone, I wouldn't make suggests just for the sake of trying to help. As you said, if you don't know them, don't vouch for them as a good option.
    Great suggestions! As I mentioned, most of the people I know and most importantly would trust are invited to the wedding. I will ask a few friends that have children if they recommend anyone and will ask around at church and otherwise recommend care.com. As SP29 mentioned, I am hesitant to "vouch" for someone I don't personally know. I guess I was stressing a little because since our wedding will be large, I didn't know if this was a request I should expect from more guests or a service I should be helping out with. I knew that for Adult Only receptions it is somewhat common to help with babysitters, but I wasn't prepared for this since we are inviting kids to the ceremony/reception. Thanks everyone! 
  • SP29 said:
    It would be nice if you could help out- great suggestions above, if belong to any groups- but if you don't know anyone, I wouldn't make suggests just for the sake of trying to help. As you said, if you don't know them, don't vouch for them as a good option.
    Great suggestions! As I mentioned, most of the people I know and most importantly would trust are invited to the wedding. I will ask a few friends that have children if they recommend anyone and will ask around at church and otherwise recommend care.com. As SP29 mentioned, I am hesitant to "vouch" for someone I don't personally know. I guess I was stressing a little because since our wedding will be large, I didn't know if this was a request I should expect from more guests or a service I should be helping out with. I knew that for Adult Only receptions it is somewhat common to help with babysitters, but I wasn't prepared for this since we are inviting kids to the ceremony/reception. Thanks everyone! 
    Just to re-iterate, it's not your responsibility to find babysitters for your guests. But for an out of town guest, it's a nice gesture, if you can help.
  • I would never expect a bride to have sitter recommendations. If she did, great. If not, fine. As a parent, I can tell you I would only want actual recommendations for good people. Not just anyone who comes to mind and isn't a guest. Know what I mean? If you can't provide that, it's fine, just be honest with her about it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Are the OOT guests staying at a nearby hotel?  Does your reception happen to be held in a hotel in which guests are staying?  If they are coming from OOT, and they are able to arrive by car, perhaps they can bring an additional friend or relative? 
  • MobKaz said:
    Are the OOT guests staying at a nearby hotel?  Does your reception happen to be held in a hotel in which guests are staying?  If they are coming from OOT, and they are able to arrive by car, perhaps they can bring an additional friend or relative? 

The reception is not at a hotel. But I did give this suggestion of bringing a babysitter/friend with them, and let them know that the babysitter/friend would be welcome to attend the wedding and reception. Thanks!