Chit Chat

Farm Engagement photo locations in Chicago/!Illinois/Indiana

I am looking for locations to take engagement photos on a farm or land with barns even animals would be a plus if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated I can't seem to find any when I search on the Internet 
thank you

Re: Farm Engagement photo locations in Chicago/!Illinois/Indiana

• If this was something that fit with your or your FI's personality or heritage, I'd think you'd know someone who farms. Why are you wanting pictures on a farm if you have to search out something like this? It would appear it has no connection to your lives.
  • One thing that comes to mind is the Lincoln Park Zoo. They have a farm area and the zoo is free. As it's free and open to the public I doubt you'd need a permit (or private land owner permission!) to take photos there. If you do it in the early morning you could get beautiful eastern morning light and it won't be crowded. 

• Are you hiring a professional photographer for your engagement photo session? If so, I would ask your photog for recommendations - I would imagine he or she knows of a picturesque setting in the area with barns/farm animals/etc. 
  • I actually grew up riding horses and had family that use to live out on a farm as did he that no longer do so the farm feel is both what we love and our looking to own in the future thanks for your opinion though! 
  • OP, I'm no Chicagoan, but a simple google search turned up a few options: 

Volkening Heritage Farm in Schaumburg, IL
    Heritage Prairie Farm in Elburn, IL (people have their weddings there as well)
    Garfield Farm and Inn Museum - not a working farm, but there are a number of barns and other farming-related buildings on the grounds
    Pioneer Farm in Hampshire, IL

I am sure if you called the main # for any of these locations, they would be more than happy to let you have your engagement photo session on their grounds. 
  • You might have some luck finding a horse barn at a state park then. I know some of the state parks here in Indiana have horse-back riding and barns in the park.
  • These are in suburban Chicago....
    Vehe Barn in Deer Park.......Long Grove has several older buildings and a covered bridge......you could try Lamb's Farm in Libertyville if you are taking casual pictures.....Didier Farm in Buffalo Grove may have some appeal....
  • Thank you everyone! I just booked my photographer and wanted to ask him as well I was just curious thanks for all the wonderful ideas!!!
  • MandaLang said:
    Thank you everyone! I just booked my photographer and wanted to ask him as well I was just curious thanks for all the wonderful ideas!!!
    Although it has been a very quiet board as of late, you could also cross post this on the Illinois/Chicago board.