Chit Chat

Beach wedding question

OK, the boards are really slow this week.
I am curious.  I have never been to a beach wedding.  (Colorado isn't near any beaches!)  I am familiar with the beaches in Maryland and Delaware, and they are difficult for me to walk on, even with athletic shoes.
How do people get to the ceremony site?  Do your feet sink into the sand?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Beach wedding question

• I grew up on a barrier island, so I have seen many a beach wedding in my day. y In the city where my family lives, they have these walkways set up to get you onto the beach (like a trex decking material) but once you're past the dunes, it's walking in thick sand. So, yep- heels wouldn't work! Most people just take their shoes off or wear sandals. For those that have mobility issues, there are chairs that can roll over the sand. I'm not sure you can rent something like that and I imagine they are expensive to buy. So, I'd have to think long and hard about getting married on the beach if one of my VIPs had that problem. 

When I married on the beach, we went without shoes. Obviously did not have any guests, so I didn't really think about others. 

• I was a BM in a beach wedding, with no walkway and it was terrible. We couldn't wear heels or normal shoes, and the sand was so hot (there was no shade and direct sun) another BM and I just shuffled along in flip flops, it was bad. There were a few guests with mobility issues and I felt horrible for them because there were no accommodations and some of the other guests just tried and help them to their seats. 
  • I see flip flops, wedges and bare feet.    It can also depend on how "on the beach" we ate talking.    Some venues have walkways that make it easier.  
  • I live at the beach and we see weddings all the time; the vast majority have everyone casual and in flip flops / sandals, or even give flip flops as a wedding favor.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I was a BM in a beach wedding, with no walkway and it was terrible. We couldn't wear heels or normal shoes, and the sand was so hot (there was no shade and direct sun) another BM and I just shuffled along in flip flops, it was bad. There were a few guests with mobility issues and I felt horrible for them because there were no accommodations and some of the other guests just tried and help them to their seats. 
    Ugh you're making me dread my sister's wedding! She's getting married on the beach in Mexico this summer and I hadn't thought about footwear yet. Usually I go barefoot on the beach but I feel like it's going to be hot since there won't be shade :( 
    Ugh you're making me dread my sister's wedding! She's getting married on the beach in Mexico this summer and I hadn't thought about footwear yet. Usually I go barefoot on the beach but I feel like it's going to be hot since there won't be shade :( 
    Yup, and it's not exactly easy to walk in a nice straight line, in long dresses, in the hot sand. I ended up with a kind of a shuffle rather than a walk. 
  • This thread reminds me of a hilarious episode of Say Yes to the Dress. Joan Rivers accompanied a bride who was shopping for a dress for a beach wedding. She had a lot to say, of course, but a memorable line was how the train of one dress would be sweeping up all the shrimp.

Traditional wedding gowns and beach weddings just don't really jive to me either!