Wedding Woes

Week 6, y'all.

2»

Re: Week 6, y'all.

• levioosa said:
    @kimmiinthemitten good point. 

Did you guys see that bill in Texas that would make it legal for ob doctors to lie to their patients about fetal results? 
    This was appalling. As someone who worked with pre-natel genetic counsellors while pregnant, I had a table flipping moment on these women's behalf.
  • edited March 2017
    levioosa said:
    @kimmiinthemitten good point. 

Did you guys see that bill in Texas that would make it legal for ob doctors to lie to their patients about fetal results? 
    This was appalling. As someone who worked with pre-natel genetic counsellors while pregnant, I had a table flipping moment on these women's behalf.
    I cannot see how this is legal, or ethical. And while I know the goal of most of these bills is not actually state abortion policy, but rather have a case reach the SCOTUS in hopes ov overturning Roe, it disgusts me that these old, white, men are doing that while putting women's health at risk. 
  • Does someone have a link?  All I'm coming up with on Google is the overturned law requiring a burial or cremation.
  • Does someone have a link?  All I'm coming up with on Google is the overturned law requiring a burial or cremation.
    http://m.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2017/02/27/texas-lawmakers-advance-bill-that-would-allow-doctors-to-lie-to-pregnant-women
  • The big news here today is that the white house slashed the budget to preserve the Great Lakes by 97%.  So between Michigan and the feds, basically we're giving away the healthy water to Nestle for free and then letting the rest go to hell.  Sorry, Lake Erie neighbors, looks like you'll be hurt the worst.

Clean, fresh water lakes, we don't need it!
  • Ya'll, get me out of here!!!
  • The big news here today is that the white house slashed the budget to preserve the Great Lakes by 97%.  So between Michigan and the feds, basically we're giving away the healthy water to Nestle for free and then letting the rest go to hell.  Sorry, Lake Erie neighbors, looks like you'll be hurt the worst.

Yah, that's the big news here, too.  Lake Erie is already polluted and suffering from major algae bloom that shuts beaches for more than half the summer days, but who needs clean freshwater lakes. 

Who needs clean air, water, or soil. Not like any of those things are useful to,  you know, living. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The last 2 paragraphs: 

""Can I ask a question?" asked Tiddle, interrupting the line of questioning. "Don't you think this creates a climate where doctors feel they have the right to impose their own moral beliefs?"

No one on the committee could answer."

No one on the committee could answer.

NO ONE ON THE COMMITTEE COULD ANSWER. 

Rage. Stroke. 
    This makes me so ragey. There is no good, logical, reason for any of this. They are all test cases for a SCOTUS appeal, but with major effing consequences for women. 

At least they're not lying and trying to come up with some ridiculous justification? 

Yah, that's the big news here, too.  Lake Erie is already polluted and suffering from major algae bloom that shuts beaches for more than half the summer days, but who needs clean freshwater lakes. 

Who needs clean air, water, or soil. Not like any of those things are useful to,  you know, living. 

This would make me ragey under any circumstances.  But it's making me extra ragey because when I went to check the Raptor Center's hours tomorrow, I stumbled across the story of Freedom the Bald Eagle.  (I actually downloaded the animal tracker so I could get more recent info about his whereabouts.)  Last spring, he flew pretty much due north until he hit the Great Lakes, and then skirted the edges of Lakes Erie and Ontario as he made his way up to Canada.  As of yesterday, he appears to be headed back up that way.  (He's following the Blue Ridge Parkway toward Shenandoah National Park right now.)  I hope he enjoys his time there this summer, because who knows what he'll find next year.

Poor Freedom.  Feels like a metaphor for...everything, right now. 
  • At least you can drink the great lakes, if you pay for it.

And to top off bad Michigan-water news, they also announced they are discontinuing the water bill credits for Flint residents.  Hell, at least Snyder hasn't even pretended to care about people of color, he just goes ahead and lets his racist flag fly.
  • I was working with a woman this week who is a Trump supporter. I generally don't talk politics with people at work, especially people who tend to be the polar opposite but after so many random one line comments about "Democrats need to stop whining" and such, I got over it. Guys, this woman had to be the least educated person I know and it was scary. One of the proposed changes is to accelerate drug approvals by cutting regulations. I can get into the details on it but this is just a horrible idea and the FDA already approves quicker than other countries. So I asked her what regulations needed to go, and she had nothing. What needs to change...nothing. But she loves that orange fucker and if he says it, it'll be good. I've worked in drug development for over a decade and we can make changes but cutting regulations is not one of them. 

Fortunately, most of the Great Lakes are also in Canada so they have to follow Canadian regulations and UN Environmental regulations as well. They cannot unilaterally destroy the lakes but they can make a go at it. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017

Edited to move to Week 7.

Wedding Countdown Ticker