Wedding Woes
Options

I want continue my futile attempt to 'make them see'.

Dear Prudence,
My family is somewhat conservative. We sometimes have discussions about race, and while they agree that things like segregation or the Japanese internments camps were wrong, or even ways in which the president’s thinking on matters of race and religion is faulty, they often don’t see how comments they make themselves as racist. For example, we recently discussed how certain fictional characters could “never” be played by a minority actor. I argued that it would make no difference to the story, and a family member said that everything is being taken from white people and something needs to be left for us. It’s really starting to become uncomfortable. How do I help them see equality for all does not mean we will “lose” anything? Right now, I just get accused of being a “weird liberal.”

—Defensive Family

Re: I want continue my futile attempt to 'make them see'.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Thinking internment camps is wrong is pretty much the bare minimum of acceptable behavior and legitly one step above hate speech. LW needs to decide if that's good enough for them. 
  • Options
    klara33 said:
    Racism has been on the rise thanks to Obama. He has been the most divisive president ever, trying to use race to his advantage. The Democratic Party has become a vile, disgusting, corrupt group of racist, sexist, xenophobic idiots who have used identity politics in order to get people excited. Call someone racist, get a black person excited. Call someone sexist, get a feminist excited. Silly. These words begin to lose their meaning after a while. Though I do not agree with the vulgar comments made by some of the Trump supporters, like this guy mentioned in the op ed piece, most Trump supporters are not racist, sexist, xenophobes. I can say that because I am one of them. I am a non-white female who was a life long Democrat, who actually voted for Obama, but this year voted for Trump. I no longer consider myself to be a Democrat because they have moved away from the middle class values of the Blue Dog Democrats that Bill Clinton represented. So, Democrats, continue on the path to nuttiness and you will continue to lose move voters.

@KnotRiley
    AGAIN with the random vendors.  
  • Options
    klara33 said:
    Racism has been on the rise thanks to Obama. He has been the most divisive president ever, trying to use race to his advantage. The Democratic Party has become a vile, disgusting, corrupt group of racist, sexist, xenophobic idiots who have used identity politics in order to get people excited. Call someone racist, get a black person excited. Call someone sexist, get a feminist excited. Silly. These words begin to lose their meaning after a while. Though I do not agree with the vulgar comments made by some of the Trump supporters, like this guy mentioned in the op ed piece, most Trump supporters are not racist, sexist, xenophobes. I can say that because I am one of them. I am a non-white female who was a life long Democrat, who actually voted for Obama, but this year voted for Trump. I no longer consider myself to be a Democrat because they have moved away from the middle class values of the Blue Dog Democrats that Bill Clinton represented. So, Democrats, continue on the path to nuttiness and you will continue to lose move voters.

Wtf? Trolling and also....@knotriley vendor

• Options
    edited March 2017
    klara33 said:

This is not going to go over well. I hope you have an AC handy for the flames you're about to be hit with. This is why you should lurk before posting.
  • Options
    klara33 said:

So you joined two days ago, and have links to a fee for essay business (which as a professor makes me ragey), and this is the only time you've commented? I'm calling vendor. @KnotRiley
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    klara33 said:

So you joined two days ago, and have links to a fee for essay business (which as a professor makes me ragey), and this is the only time you've commented? I'm calling vendor. @KnotRiley
    It's not even well written. Like, if you're going to advertise a business, at least have a decent "product." Major eye rolling over here. 
    Not only that, but it's not even based on facts. I give it a D-.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    klara33 said:

It's not even well written. Like, if you're going to advertise a business, at least have a decent "product." Major eye rolling over here. 
    Well there are no citations to appropriate sources, so it would be an F and possible Academic Integrity violation in my course. 
    Can I just say I love the use of the word "nuttiness?" Did they not have access to a thesaurus? I thought I'd gotten pretty lazy lately with my essay writing, but this reminds me I still haven't hit rock bottom. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    klara33 said:

Well there are no citations to appropriate sources, so it would be an F and possible Academic Integrity violation in my course. 
    Can I just say I love the use of the word "nuttiness?" Did they not have access to a thesaurus? I thought I'd gotten pretty lazy lately with my essay writing, but this reminds me I still haven't hit rock bottom. 
    Anytime you need a pick me up about writing abilities let me know. I happy to provide examples that will make you feel really good about your writing skills. 
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    klara33 said:

Anytime you need a pick me up about writing abilities let me know. I happy to provide examples that will make you feel really good about your writing skills. 
    Can you just do this for all of our morale? Like Prudie Thursday we could have Medicore Writing Monday? 
    I have papers to grade this weekend, so a Mediocre Writing Monday can certainly be a thing.
  • Options
    I can add the two dreadful journal articles I'm supposed to be critically reviewing this week. How they passed peer review and managed to be published escapes me. 

• Options
    I have a friend that posts essays from student excerpts on facebook that I always thoroughly enjoy reading. 
  • Options
    I can add some Facebook posts to mediocre writing Monday also. Edited for anonymity, of course. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    I can add the two dreadful journal articles I'm supposed to be critically reviewing this week. How they passed peer review and managed to be published escapes me. 
    Preach. 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    klara33 said:

I used to be an editor for a mystery shopping company.  I'd read the reports that other mystery shoppers had submitted.  I was stunned how poorly some people write.  I had no idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, this thread made me laugh - you guys are awesome.