Wedding Woes

This Is Us Discussion **SPOILERS**

I need to talk about my feelings.

I cried a lot during last night's episode. The memorial service was amazing and the sweetest thing ever.

I boohooed like a baby when Randall's wife got that post card.

Based on what we know so far, Jack's death is not going to be what I thought.

Thoughts?

Re: This Is Us Discussion **SPOILERS**

• OMG I totally spaced and forgot to start this. Thank you for starting this thread, @thefanciestbeckler!!!

Last night's episode was amazing. The memorial service was really awesome and very well done. I also cried when Beth got that postcard.

I was SHOCKED when I found out that Randall was allergic to pears knowing that that was what his firm sent. A: a very shitty condolence gift, especially what he's done for that firm, and B: especially shitty since they KNEW he was violently allergic! I actually applauded when he stormed in there after Kevin's play and gave his notice. 

It looks like Jack's death will be drunk driving - which is what I thought, but I was expecting it to happen when he stormed out after their initial fight about her going on tour. I have so many questions leading up to next week though. Is he going to Cleveland to make up with her? Does he stop for beer on the way and never make it? 

I feel really bad for Kate that she's been harboring all this guilt about her father's death all these years. But I'm happy she is finally going to talk about it. 
  • @sparklepants41 Oh yeah the whole pear thing shocked me too!! I was literally cheering when Randall went in there and gave his notice.

I had a feeling Jack's death would be alcohol related, but I was thinking something more dramatic. Like maybe getting in a drunken fight and getting shot or something. Now that we know (or are pretty sure) that it's drunk driving, I'm wondering what happens. Does he get to Cleveland and see Rebecca with Miguel potentially? and then get beer because he's upset? Or does he stop on the way? So many questions.

I feel bad for Kate too. I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't talk about his death, and now that I know, I feel so terrible for her.

• @thefanciestbeckler yes! I was also partially wondering if Jack actually gets to Cleveland and something really upsets him which drives him to drink...

I'm also wondering how Rebecca and Miguel get together - is it in a way that is respectful or disrespectful towards Jack? 

So many questions!!! But only 6 more days until they're answered!

Also - I find it odd that the season ends in March...I know it's only the first season, so it may not be as long as subsequent seasons will be, but I would have assumed that it would have ended in May for May Sweeps...
  • Dude, I felt for Randall in that scene where he quit.  My company *normally* sends an arrangement when '1st tier' family member dies (grandparents, parents, siblings), but it's up to your supervisor to inform the admin so the arrangement can be ordered.  Nothing was sent for MIL's funeral and I know it's because my supervisor said nothing.  I had just passed 15 years at my company.  I know it's not 'owed' or anything, but my feelings were hurt. 

I wondered about Jack's death.  I figured it was sudden, but I held my breath in the last scene because I wasn't ready for it and I'm glad it wasn't shown right then. 

The memorial was so sweet and perfect.  The scene where William and Jack met and when Randall and Rebecca made up were instant tears for me. 
  • I cried the whole episode. 

Once they showed Jack drinking again, I had a feeling it would be tied in to his death. I have a feeling he dies on his way to see Rebecca and never actually gets to her. I also feel that Rebecca and Miguel don't get together until well after Jack's death. 

I was so happy when Randall quit his job. 
  • I know that Jack dies and I know that we're told it's not expected.   But man, I love that character and I want more of him so I hope his death doesn't remove him because he's fantastic.

I cried SO MUCH of that episode.   I watched it last night when DH is normally out and I'm sure he came home to see my raccoon eyes.  

I LOVED Randall quitting.   Loved it.  
  • ACK!!! THAT ENDING!? No wonder Kate can't deal with it :(

Soooo beyond glad that Randall left! He had every right to, sending pears? Fuckers.

Uhm Kevin + Sophie = OTP lol

I'm planning on going to my mum's next week so we can essentially ugly cry together
  • I thought it was odd that William put his memorial service on his granddaughters. I just don't think I'd want to put that kind of pressure on children. BUT they did a great job making it like he'd have wanted.

Going back a week...I really felt his death was beautifully done. I lost my own father to cancer many years ago, but sometimes it still bites, so I made sure that I was slightly preoccupied and not so focused on it, but it really was beautiful.

I am soooo happy that Randall quit his job! I thought they were gearing up to fire him by giving Sanjay half his accounts and it was just obvious that they didn't appreciate him.

I don't think Rebecca and Miguel got together until later, I just don't feel like that's in Rebecca's character. Plus, wasn't Miguel at the party? 

I can't wait to see how Jack dies, because I really want to see how Kate is blaming herself. Fun fact (not really)...my dad was diagnosed with cancer because of me. My car ran out of gas due to a faulty fuel gauge and my dad decided to push my car to the gas station instead of just bringing me a gas can. He broke his neck pushing my car because the cancer had metastasized from his lungs into his liver, esophagus, and vertebrae. The force of his muscles snapped his vertebrae. I blamed myself for his death for a long time (so did my mom). I finally realized that had it not happened that way, my sister and brother wouldn't have had a chance to repair their relationship with him.
  • I thought it was odd that William put his memorial service on his granddaughters. I just don't think I'd want to put that kind of pressure on children. BUT they did a great job making it like he'd have wanted.

Going back a week...I really felt his death was beautifully done. I lost my own father to cancer many years ago, but sometimes it still bites, so I made sure that I was slightly preoccupied and not so focused on it, but it really was beautiful.

I am soooo happy that Randall quit his job! I thought they were gearing up to fire him by giving Sanjay half his accounts and it was just obvious that they didn't appreciate him.

I don't think Rebecca and Miguel got together until later, I just don't feel like that's in Rebecca's character. Plus, wasn't Miguel at the party? 

I can't wait to see how Jack dies, because I really want to see how Kate is blaming herself. Fun fact (not really)...my dad was diagnosed with cancer because of me. My car ran out of gas due to a faulty fuel gauge and my dad decided to push my car to the gas station instead of just bringing me a gas can. He broke his neck pushing my car because the cancer had metastasized from his lungs into his liver, esophagus, and vertebrae. The force of his muscles snapped his vertebrae. I blamed myself for his death for a long time (so did my mom). I finally realized that had it not happened that way, my sister and brother wouldn't have had a chance to repair their relationship with him.
    I don't remember Miguel being at the party - I may have to go back and re-watch tonight, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see him because I was looking for him when they cut to that scene. Jack went up to the bar and Whatsherface started coming on to him - and I remember being surprised because I had thought she would have been doing that with Miguel...And I don't recall Miguel talking to Jack at the bar either...
  • I don't remember Miguel being at the party - I may have to go back and re-watch tonight, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see him because I was looking for him when they cut to that scene. Jack went up to the bar and Whatsherface started coming on to him - and I remember being surprised because I had thought she would have been doing that with Miguel...And I don't recall Miguel talking to Jack at the bar either...
    I guess he was just at the work party. I still don't feel like that's in Rebecca's character.

Also, is anyone else surprised this show is listed as a comedy?
  • a couple weeks ago I swear I saw an article that said Jack died in a plane crash. And i remember thinking wait I didn't know that's what happened and figured I just had missed it while not watching intently. But now I wonder if I imagined or dreamt that LOL.  So I'll stick with my theory he dies in a plane crash
  • I don't remember Miguel being at the party - I may have to go back and re-watch tonight, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see him because I was looking for him when they cut to that scene. Jack went up to the bar and Whatsherface started coming on to him - and I remember being surprised because I had thought she would have been doing that with Miguel...And I don't recall Miguel talking to Jack at the bar either...
    I guess he was just at the work party. I still don't feel like that's in Rebecca's character.

Also, is anyone else surprised this show is listed as a comedy?
    Apparently it's been confirmed by Mandy Moore that they didn't get together until after his death. My mum and suspect that it was two people grieving the death of a loved one, and then got together.

How tf is this a comedy? I get points are funny ... but all in all, not a comedy. Maybe more of a dramady 
  • Finally just watched the last episode.  Milo said in an interview that people will be disappointed in Jack and now that I saw the commercial for tomorrow, I get why.

I'm pretty sure Miguel wasn't at the bar - he would have been mad at Jack for being there and especially for drinking if he was.  And yeah, I feel like Miguel probably sticks around as a father type for the kids and they end up falling in love in their grief or something.

This show just gets better and better.  It's so refreshing to watch a show that seems real and doesn't have ridiculous plot lines.  They have created each and every character so beautifully.  I don't think I'm prepared for tomorrow.  I'm not sure I can be!

Poor Kate!  I can't even imagine carrying that guilt, even though it's clearly not her fault.  She gave good advice - he drank!

And poor Kevin, he finally gets the trust of his love and a huge career break at the same time?!  Do you think he stays or goes?

I just finished the People v OJ - Sterling Brown is amazing!  

• @kimmiinthemitten  Yeh I saw the commercial .... I'm really hoping it's just saying one thing so people think it is, but why would drinking even be mentioned in the previous eps if it wasn't a factor.

I'm not watching Tuesday, so I'll be avoiding this on Wednesday - I'm watching on Wednesday lol
  • I think I get the episodes a week later here. :( That's fine though, I am just happy I can continue watching at all!

seriously crying pretty much the whole episode. When anyone talks about how great William was, crying. When Kate cries, I cry. When Randell quits, I cry. Beth and the postcard!! 

Jack's death is going to be awful... 

Kevin's dilemma doesn't seem like that big of deal to me. Partly because I worked in the entertainment industry and that shit is par for the course when dating someone in the field. I left for 7 weeks less than 2 weeks after DH and I moved in together. I was gone for 7 months once. It sucks and can be hard but it is temporary. If this was reality, he should go.

• I heard on the radio this morning apparently they're "dropping 2 bombs on tonight's episode"

Uhm excuse me, but this show may actually kill me lmao!
  • I heard on the radio this morning apparently they're "dropping 2 bombs on tonight's episode"

Really?! OMG I can't take the suspense! This snowstorm better not knock out our power!!

Really?! OMG I can't take the suspense! This snowstorm better not knock out our power!!
    Right!? I'm watching tomorrow, but I hope nothing messes up the recording. *side eye*
  • It's real. Yes, it's cheesy that they recreate the messed up Thanksgiving every year, but it's celebrating a tradition and that's normal. Most women can relate to Kate with regard to her body issues. We can relate to Jack and Rebecca's fighting. We can relate to the stress Randall places on himself with work and family. This is US as in everyone. Maybe? Too cheesy? IDC 
  • It's real. Yes, it's cheesy that they recreate the messed up Thanksgiving every year, but it's celebrating a tradition and that's normal. Most women can relate to Kate with regard to her body issues. We can relate to Jack and Rebecca's fighting. We can relate to the stress Randall places on himself with work and family. This is US as in everyone. Maybe? Too cheesy? IDC 

• It reminds me of the TV shows in the 90's and I think after a decade of reality TV we wanted wholesome and cheesy again.  We needed wholesome and cheesy!
  • @VarunaTT you deserve an award for what you just wrote. Seriously. You summed things up perfectly. I'm shocked that anyone would think this show is cheesy too. It's resonated so deeply with me on a personal level and has really touched some parts of myself that I didn't know existed. 

• Am I a horrible person for being disappointed (still moved, but disappointed)?

We were supposed to finally find out how Jack died!
  • I am so freaking disappointed right now!!!!!!!!!!! You are not alone @kimmiinthemitten

• I mean it was another beautiful episode, amazingly written and we all want our SO's to love us the way Jack loves Rebecca....but you were supposed to die!
  • I mean it was another beautiful episode, amazingly written and we all want our SO's to love us the way Jack loves Rebecca....but you were supposed to die!
    I know! It was a whole lot of suspense for nothing! I need ANSWERS!

How many people are going to try and laugh in a mirror tomorrow to see what their face does?

How many people are going to try and laugh in a mirror tomorrow to see what their face does?

Me! That was one of the sweetest things I've ever heard.