Wedding Etiquette Forum

thank you card etiquette when only half a couple attended but the gift is from both

I just had my engagement party and I realized this will come up a few times so I want to get this right.   When someone gives you a gift but it's also on behalf of their spouse or kids who couldn't make it to the event, how do I word it?
Someone once told me it was impolite to single someone out on a card - and not to say something like:  "Dear John and Jane,  Thank you Jane for coming to the party, and I am so sad I missed John but I hope we can get together soon. Thank you for your thoughtful gift, etc....."

But then do I just say something like  "Dear John and Jane, thank you so much for coming, it was great seeing you and thank you for your thoughtful gift, etc..."

even though Jane came and John didn't?  Or do I skip the thanking for attending altogether?

Re: thank you card etiquette when only half a couple attended but the gift is from both

• I think either way is fine. If the gift is from both they should both be thanked attendance not withstanding. I would probably go with your first example just so the people think I care enough to notice one wasn't there.
  • I just had my engagement party and I realized this will come up a few times so I want to get this right.   When someone gives you a gift but it's also on behalf of their spouse or kids who couldn't make it to the event, how do I word it?
    Someone once told me it was impolite to single someone out on a card - and not to say something like:  "Dear John and Jane,  Thank you Jane for coming to the party, and I am so sad I missed John but I hope we can get together soon. Thank you for your thoughtful gift, etc....."

But then do I just say something like  "Dear John and Jane, thank you so much for coming, it was great seeing you and thank you for your thoughtful gift, etc..."

even though Jane came and John didn't?  Or do I skip the thanking for attending altogether?

The TY note is for the gift.  You should thank Jane for attending the party personally while she is there.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You should thank whoever has signed the card (regardless if Jane signed for both herself and John). The card is for the gift, not for attending the party, so you don't have to mention that if it seems too awkward. Or as above, mention Jane's attendance at the end.