Wedding Invitations & Paper

Who should be listed on the invitation?

Hi everyone,

The title of this post could also be "who do I invite?".  My sister-in-law's sister is getting married the same day as me, and she will be the maid of honor in her sister's wedding, and my niece and nephew will be flower girl and ring boy.  However my brother is attending my wedding, and will be one of my fiancé's groomsmen.  The weddings are only about 30 minutes from each other, so it's logically possible for my brother to attend some of his sister-in-law's wedding, or for my sis-in-law and the kids to come to some of mine...but I don't really see that happening.

My question is who officially gets listed on the invitation?  My fiancé and I are dropping off our invitations with the calligrapher this week, and I'd love some objective advice.  Does just my brother get invited?  Or his family too?  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings (not listing his wife and kids= they feel excluded vs. listing them all and they feel pressured).  

Thanks in advance for your insights/ sorry if this was long-winded!

-Anna 

Re: Who should be listed on the invitation?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    A wedding is not a court summons.  Extending an invitations to your wedding puts pressure on no one.  They are free to accept or decline your invitation, and they do not owe you an explanation.  It would be extremely rude of you to address the invitation to your brother without his wife.

This goes on the inner envelope:

Mr. and Mrs. Doe
    Miss Susan Doe
    Mr. George Doe

This goes on the outer envelope:

Mr. and Mrs.  John Doe
    123 Maple Street
    Anytown, Iowa   zipcode
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you both.  I'll address the invite to all four of them.