Wedding Woes

Maybe not getting married now? Help!

FI and I have been together for 12 years, since we were freshman in high school. We got engaged 4 months ago and the plan was to get married next year to save some more money. 

Last month, FI's parents announced they will be getting a divorce, and it has understandably  devastated my FI. I do love my FILs, but this honestly does not come as a shock to me. FFIL was married when he met FMIL, had an affair, left his previous wife, and married FMIL. FMIL caught him cheating 15 years ago, forgave him, it happened again a few years ago, she forgave him again. This time, he has been having an affair and is leaving FMIL for the other woman. 

FI came to me a few days ago and said he doesn't want to get married anymore. He doesn't believe in marriage now and doesn't think it can work. We talked for a long time about his feelings. After that, I told him he should take some time and really consider what he's saying. I would totally understand if he wanted to put the wedding off, not make any real plans yet, NBD. If he said he wanted to just go to the courthouse, get some dinner, and be done with it, cool, I'm down with that.

What do I do? Do I just give him some more time to consider this? I know he's having so much trouble processing this divorce, but his reaction seems so extreme. Please help!

Re: Maybe not getting married now? Help!

• What do you do now...

I mean that with all due love and kindness - know this is not an issue with YOU, he's already given up, that's not something you can do any sort of woowoo over and fix.  You give yourself the time that you need, take care of you, and consider that fish snapped the line.  The other thing is, you've been together for 8 years post high school, that's a long time for him to not have asked the question and commit, it's not extreme you just didn't notice the signs and turn up the heat soon enough, he got comfortable with the status quo like you were a sibling instead of a SO.  How long are you going to keep putting your life on hold for someone who has given up on marriage, and likely long before this is the question you need to ask yourself.  There are things you'll learn about yourself in the next year without someone on the line for what you're willing to accept in a relationship and what you aren't.  "If you love him, set him free!" but more importantly "If you love yourself, you'll set yourself free to discover the life you were meant to lead!" which can lead to you finding someone who is going to sweep you off your feet in ways you'd never thought possible!  
  • Thank you, @MesmrEwe . It's just so hard to imagine starting over after all this time. When we were in college, I said I would be fine with waiting to get engaged until we had graduated and been in our careers for a year or so. I think I told him that partially because I knew a proposal wouldn't come anytime soon anyway. 
  • FI and I have been together for 12 years, since we were freshman in high school. We got engaged 4 months ago and the plan was to get married next year to save some more money. 

Last month, FI's parents announced they will be getting a divorce, and it has understandably  devastated my FI. I do love my FILs, but this honestly does not come as a shock to me. FFIL was married when he met FMIL, had an affair, left his previous wife, and married FMIL. FMIL caught him cheating 15 years ago, forgave him, it happened again a few years ago, she forgave him again. This time, he has been having an affair and is leaving FMIL for the other woman. 

FI came to me a few days ago and said he doesn't want to get married anymore. He doesn't believe in marriage now and doesn't think it can work. We talked for a long time about his feelings. After that, I told him he should take some time and really consider what he's saying. I would totally understand if he wanted to put the wedding off, not make any real plans yet, NBD. If he said he wanted to just go to the courthouse, get some dinner, and be done with it, cool, I'm down with that.

What do I do? Do I just give him some more time to consider this? I know he's having so much trouble processing this divorce, but his reaction seems so extreme. Please help!
    I don't think your FI's immediate reaction is necessarily a red flag, but I don't know the context either.  I have an irrational fear of being the bad sides of my mother too so I think your advice to take some time is smart and compassionate on your part.  

However, I think you need to take a step back and really evaluate the situation.  Is this the first red flag or have there been others that you've ignored because you love him?  If you do decide to go forward with the marriage, get counseling together.  Make sure you have all the tools you will need to communicate through the hard times.  If FI refuses counseling, I'd consider that a huge red flag.

I also think now is a good time to prepare yourself that he may not change his mind back.  12 years together is a long time, but you're young, you have much more ahead of you.  My sister married her HS sweetheart, I got married a few weeks before I turned 37.  The only the right answer is the one that is best for you!
    I think Kimmi has provided great advice.

I'd stop all planning for now. I would take the wedding/marriage off the table and work on how to get through this.  It really sounds like he needs to learn some coping skills, because this likely not going to be the only, or most, devastating event that comes to pass.  His response cannot be to want to blow up his life because something terrible or life-altering happens.    
  • He has been staying with his mom since this discussion, and has been very short with me when he does respond. I haven't been blowing up his phone or anything, but I've called 3 times in the last 4 days and sent a few texts when he hasn't answered his calls. At one point I asked if he was breaking up with me completely, and he said "no, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do, and I understand if you can't handle this."

If he needs some space, that's fine, but he's being really unclear. It feels like he's playing a game with me to see if I'll really stick around "through thick and thin" but I'm not a toy and I don't want to be played with. 
  • Let me start by saying I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

I understand that when your parents get divorced, it can make you feel doubtful about marriage and afraid that you might go through the same thing someday. However, you have been with this man more than long enough that he should have more confidence in his relationship with you. At the very least, he should trust you enough to talk through the issues that have come up for him with his parents' splitting up, rather than just telling you he doesn't get married anymore and shutting you out.  

Even if he were to change his mind tomorrow, are you confident that he wouldn't change it again and keep you hanging on indefinitely? Do you really want to be with a man who, after 12 years with you, doesn't think you guys should get married because of someone else's marriage not working out? I don't know about you, but my answers to both those questions would be an absolute no. 

As much as it hurts, I'm afraid that you need to end this relationship and move on. You deserve to be with someone who values your love and has faith in your relationship, not somebody who throws everything into doubt after 12 years and won't even work through it with you. 

I know it's hard to hear all of this, but this is a situation where you need to put yourself first and consider your own feelings and future, and I hope you will do that. I wish you all the best.

• levioosa said:
    I agree with PPs. I just wanted to add one thing. 

My bff never believed in marriage. She had parents who stayed together out of obligation and they fought and had affairs. She wasn't completely anti-marriage, but she was definitely close and she was sure it wasn't for her...until she met her now H. She realized that her shitty examples weren't a representative of all marriages. She and her H have a wonderful marriage now.  She realized that her parent's past didn't define her own future. That was a huge breakthrough for her and she's so happy she didn't let her fears and past experiences color what is now a successful marriage. 

I think your (ex)-FI is acting like a child. He isn't facing the problem or approaching it like an adult. If you want to go to counseling, that's a good start, but don't make concessions for his child-like behavior. He's old enough to realize that his dad made some shitty choices. His dad/mom's relationship doesn't define all marriages.

I am genuinely sorry you are going through this. I'm a big fan of taking time to grieve and just be you. As someone who broke up with their high school sweet heart after 6 years together (not 12 years, but a still a good chunk of time), it was almost refreshing to be me and do the things that I liked once I got past the abject grief stage. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. All of the hugs. 
    I could have written this exact thing about myself years ago. My parents have a terrible relationship, modeled a terrible picture of love/respect/partnership. Then I met H, and realized that love doesn't look like what my parents modeled all those years. But really, I grew up. 

Im sorry you're going through this, it sucks. But like everyone else said it's better to know now. Take all the time you need to grieve, have your feelings, and take care of yourself. All the good vibes for you. 
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this.   

At this point, I'd start to treat your place as yours alone.   

Is the house legally belonging to both of you?   Will you need to get him to sign over his ownership to you?   Can you change the locks?

• It sounds like your (ex?)-FI could also benefit from being on his own.  Being a big cranky pants baby because your clothes aren't set out for you in the morning may be okay for a six year old, but in a grown ass man?  That shit will get old really fast.  Also, he can't handle you earning more than him?  This is a guy who has some warped ideas about gender roles. 

I know breakups suck, and you guys have been together for so long that I'm sure it'll take some time before you feel "normal" again.  Being a single adult who has no one to answer to, though, can be so effing fun!  You have a lot to look forward to :). Think of all the extra time you'll have not being a mother to a giant man child. 
  • PPs have great advice and I'm glad to see the great attitude you have OP, all things considered.

Give yourself some time to grieve.  Your emotions will probably be in a roller coaster.  Some days you'll be all fired up with "Good riddance!" and "Yay!  Independence to discover who I am!"  And other days you'll be numb/overwhelmed/in despair.  But as time goes on, those good days will start outnumbering the bad ones more and more.

Most people change a lot from when their freshmen in high school to college and then change again in young adulthood.  It sounds like you matured more and faster than he did.  Maybe you all weren't very compatible anymore and that was part of it also.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.   

At this point, I'd start to treat your place as yours alone.   

Is the house legally belonging to both of you?   Will you need to get him to sign over his ownership to you?   Can you change the locks?

The house is in my name only, fortunately. His credit is pretty bad, so the plan was to add it eventually. Changing the locks is a good idea, I'll do that today, thanks! I feel completely numb today. I need to get out and do something anyway. I still haven't heard from him. 
    Go ahead and process this through - it's your mind-body's way of protecting you, but it can also hinder for the long term.  Feel what needs to be felt as it needs to be felt, and remember to "Break State" and do positive things for your self so you avoid being "stuck" in those less than glorious states of being.  

I'm so excited for your trip to the hardware store today for boxes, packing tape, paint, rollers, drop cloth (oh wait, that's not his clothes is it - WHOOPS!), and new locks (remember to have them all keyed the same right away!)..