Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation Wording

Hello my husband and I are having a religious ceremony next June. We've been married for only a year. We originally planned to get married until I was diagnosed with frontal lobe epilepsy. This changed our circumstances so we decided to have just a civil ceremony. I have been doing well these past months so we decided to go ahead with a religious ceremony.
Before I receive comments on "how we're already married" so we can't have one I am only asking for proper wording on the invitations.

Re: Invitation Wording

• I am assuming it would depend on what type of religious ceremony. A Catholic ceremony is called a consolidation. @CMGragain do you know what the wording would be?
  • Agreed, it would depend on the type of ceremony. In those circumstances my church would do a blessing of the marriage. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm no @CMGragain  but I'd go with
    "Please join us as we bless our marriage at ABC church on (date) at (time)."
  • banana468 said:
    I am assuming it would depend on what type of religious ceremony. A Catholic ceremony is called a consolidation. @CMGragain do you know what the wording would be?
    It's called a Convalidation in the Catholic church.  

Ditto the others.   It would really depend on the type of ceremony but the way you would word the invitations is by letting others know that you are indeed married and your union is now religious.

oops auto correct and I didn't notice it! Thanks for the correction @banana468. I need to look closer at spelling before hitting that post button.
  • I'm assuming they'll be watching a ceremony in a house of worship:

Please join the newlyweds/happily married couple/"Smith's"
    Wife Name
    and
    Husband Name
    as they bless their marriage
    Saturday, the first of April
    at 4 o'clock 
    Church Name
    Street Address
    City, State

Dinner and drinks to follow

By using words like "newlyweds" "happily married couple" "The Smith's" (if one of you changed your name), it's clear that you're already married. You could even find a way to include a picture from your wedding day on the invitation. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Hello my husband and I are having a religious ceremony next June. We've been married for only a year. We originally planned to get married until I was diagnosed with frontal lobe epilepsy. This changed our circumstances so we decided to have just a civil ceremony. I have been doing well these past months so we decided to go ahead with a religious ceremony.
    Before I receive comments on "how we're already married" so we can't have one I am only asking for proper wording on the invitations.
    JIC

• I'm assuming they'll be watching a ceremony in a house of worship:

Please join the newlyweds/happily married couple/"Smith's"
    Wife Name
    and
    Husband Name
    as they bless their marriage
    Saturday, the first of April
    at 4 o'clock 
    Church Name
    Street Address
    City, State

Dinner and drinks to follow

By using words like "newlyweds" "happily married couple" "The Smith's" (if one of you changed your name), it's clear that you're already married. You could even find a way to include a picture from your wedding day on the invitation. 
    Not gonna lie.....I googled this but thought it appropriate.....

The honor of your presence
    is requested at the religious ceremony to solemnize (or bless)
    the marriage of
    Wife and Husband Alreadymarried

I would assume that since OP and her husband have been married a year already, that family and friends are aware of their status.