Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Gap after ceremony?

We just found out from our DJ (who is also doing our ceremony music) that after our ceremony concludes there will be about a thirty minute gap while they move the sound system into our reception space and get it running there. Before finding this out we had planned on moving right from our ceremony ending at 6:45, into first introduction with music and then announcing tables for dinner at 7pm. Now I am sort of floundering as to what to do with the gap, I don't want our guests to just be left milling around for half an hour, what do most people do to fill a gap like this?

Re: Gap after ceremony?

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    jamoore3 said:
    We just found out from our DJ (who is also doing our ceremony music) that after our ceremony concludes there will be about a thirty minute gap while they move the sound system into our reception space and get it running there. Before finding this out we had planned on moving right from our ceremony ending at 6:45, into first introduction with music and then announcing tables for dinner at 7pm. Now I am sort of floundering as to what to do with the gap, I don't want our guests to just be left milling around for half an hour, what do most people do to fill a gap like this?
    Will there be food (veggies, etc.)?  Drinks served?  That is what people really care about.  Nobody cares if your DJ is late setting up.  You can have some quiet time together after the ceremony while you are signing the papers, or be in the reception line, greeting and thanking your guests for coming to the wedding.  People can mingle for half an hour until you make your entrance.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    There won't be food since we are planning on dinner being served so soon after the ceremony, but the bar will open at 7, so only about 15 minutes with no drinks.
  • Options
    jamoore3 said:
    There won't be food since we are planning on dinner being served so soon after the ceremony, but the bar will open at 7, so only about 15 minutes with no drinks.
    I would ask if the bar can open a bit sooner to serve your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I don't know that much about sound systems, but let's say he has two speakers. Can he just use one for the ceremony? So the other would be set up and ready to go in the reception space for intros and soft music during cocktail hour. Then after intros and while cocktail hour is going on, he sets up his ceremony speaker in the reception space so he's ready for the dance party later on. 

Again, I am not really familiar with how this stuff works, so this might be a bad suggestion.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    Our DJ offered to set up equipment in the two spaces (ceremony area and reception area) for a $100 additional fee (instead of them awkwardly moving the equipment to two different spots).  Is something like that possible?

• Options
    Could you see about some kind of music that can be playEd during the switch?   Even a Rat Pack playlist is easy background music.  
  • Options
    I would try having an iPod or something to provide background music during the time between ceremony and DJ getting up and running. See if the bar can be opened earlier or at least some passed drinks on trays.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    This is usually where the cocktail hour comes in.

I don't think you need any music here, but if you could provided some snacks (cheese and crackers, fruit and veggie trays) and drinks, whether they are set up on a table somewhere, or passed, would solve any waiting issues.

You could also use part of this time to do a receiving line, greeting guests as they exit the ceremony space.

• Options
    Your original timeline was a little tight, so I think it's all going to work fine.  With a ceremony ending at (approx) 6:45, it would surely take you and your guests more than 15 minutes to gather themselves, walk into the reception space, find their table assignment (or find a table), maybe go to the bathroom, say hi to a friend ... etc...  I agree with previous posters that there should be some sort of food or bev welcoming your guests as they arrive.  Once the DJ is set up, introductions and the rest of your timeline can being.