Wedding Woes

Prudie doesn't know your life

Dear Prudence,
I’m from the East Coast and am trying to decide where I want to live this coming year. Last month I visited one of my best friends on the West Coast (we’d discussed the possibility of my moving there). I also hit it off with one of my friend’s good friends, and she and I have stayed in pretty regular contact since then. We’ve talked about trying to be together if she and I are ever in the same place at the same time again. Right now I have a lot of flexibility in terms of where I live. Is it a bad idea to move to the West Coast? I don’t feel like I’d be only moving there for this girl, but I also wouldn’t mind if something happened between us once I got there.

—Making the Move

Re: Prudie doesn't know your life

• I mean, it's a LOT of culture shock, but if you're prepared, why not? 

I wouldn't have done it, but I didn't have a choice, and now I'm pretty much here. Can't take the humidity anymore. Be advised. 
  • I love moving (I basically pack up and do so every 2 years) so I would go in a heartbeat!  What's life without taking a few chances :smile:
  • I really want to know what makes some of the LWs think that Prudie will have an answer for them...I think the LW is just looking for validation that they are free to pick up and move across the country.  While I agree that you can move if you want to, the LW should be honest with themselves about their motivations.  If it is because of someone they met, then own the fact that you want to move to be with them.  If anyone is judging that hard about it you can either ignore them, or ask yourself why exactly they are so concerned about your life.

My BF (now DH) and I moved about 4 hours drive from home right out of college. At first it was a bit lonely leaving all of our friends behind, but once you make a few new people its not so bad.  I never once regretted my choice, and in fact we both found careers, got married, bought a house and are planning to start our families here.  Had I been afraid to "take that risk" I would probably be living in a miserable illegal apartment/with my parents now hating every minute of my life.

• Why not? If you hate it, move back. Employment flexibility works both ways, so if it doesn't work out you won't be stuck there. 
  • This was me, right out of college!  I really wanted to move to a different part of the country and even took a long vacation and explored different areas I was thinking about.  But I went back home, still wanting to leave, but didn't quite have a plan formulated yet.

One of the places I visited was NOLA.  Long story short, I met a guy there (who lived there), but was coming out to Southern CA for a visit, in a few months.  He asked for my number and said he'd love to take me out to dinner during his trip.  I gave him my number, but figured I'd never hear from him.  Lo and behold, he called me a few months later!  That started a long distance romance and I moved to NOLA about six months later.  Been here ever since.

Before making my decision, I really thought about the hypothetical of, "If I move there and things blow up with this guy two weeks later, am I going to be sorry I moved?"  I decided I wouldn't be sorry, either way, so I moved.  One of the best decisions I ever made!

In the end, it didn't work out between me and the guy.  But we did go out for two years after I moved, so that was at least a pretty long time.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker