Wedding Woes

There's no one right, or wrong, answer.

Dear Prudence,
My fiancé and I are getting married this month. Everything is already booked, and we’re expecting lots of family and friends will attend. My beloved grandmother is very ill in hospice care and will likely die quite soon—possibly on or just before our wedding day. I’d like to be able to continue with my wedding (and honor my grandmother during the ceremony) but I also wonder if it’s appropriate to have a ceremony at all while she’s on her deathbed or has recently died. Should we postpone the wedding? What if she dies on the day? I’m already devastated that she’s sick, but I don’t know anything about the etiquette about death and weddings besides the Hugh Grant movie. I want to respect my grandmother and, if possible, not lose the thousands of dollars we’d forfeit by cancelling the wedding, as heartless as that sounds.

—One Wedding and a Funeral

Re: There's no one right, or wrong, answer.

• What does FI think?  What does LW's family think?  What does LW think GM would WANT them to do?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• My sister's MIL had a massive heart attack right before sis and BIL were going to take their delayed honeymoon.  They were on the verge of canceling and when sis's MIL came through and was lucid, the first thing she said was, "You better get your asses on that plane." 
  • My mum's grandmother - and her fave person in the world - passed a month before their wedding. They opted to go forward with everything, and her grandmother wore her dress in the casket {side note: my mum's grandmother was suppose to be a BM}

It's not easy, but LW needs to do what's best for her and her FI
  • My mum's grandmother - and her fave person in the world - passed a month before their wedding. They opted to go forward with everything, and her grandmother wore her dress in the casket {side note: my mum's grandmother was suppose to be a BM}

This brought a tear to my eye! so sweet!
  • Keep the wedding plans!  

This brought a tear to my eye! so sweet!
    I always tell my mum she's amazing to continue on with wedding because idk if I could have.
    Granted, her grandmother was sick so she was accepting of the fact she was passing {much like LW's situation}